(no longer) urgent problem, updated stencyl and can't access game

NobodyX

OK, I updated stencyl like this: I copied out my game out of the games folder as backup, uninstalled stencyl, then installed the new version.

When I went I opened the new stencyl, my game was still in the list when you open the program but was no longer in the games folder on my computer, so I was confused and went to try the game, everything seemed intact but when I went to test the game it just flat out wouldn't load anything. No flash console or anything would pop up and no errors appeared.

So I decided to remove the game from the list when you first open the program and re-add it somehow. I removed it from the list, and now have no clue how to re-add it because adding a folder in the stencyl games directory seems to do absolutely nothing whatsoever in this version.

So basically, I updated stencyl and the game I've been working on for over a year stopped working and now I don't even know how to open it. I have a backup of folder that was in the games folder before(which I hope to god is the most recent version and not something ancient without me realising it)

I'm completely f***ing clueless about what to do and it's really important I get help on this.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:01:24 am by NobodyX »

NobodyX

Looks like what I had backed up is a month old, because apparently it wasn't even saving the game to where I thought it was, or something. I'm reeeaaaally hope I didn't lose a bunch of progress now that I removed the game from the list.

Joe

Make sure you're putting the game in the correct folder. It should be in the "games" folder inside your workspace folder. You can see where your "games" folder is by clicking the "View Games Folder" button inside the Welcome Center.

NobodyX

FUCK! Well I lost a bunch of progress then.

NobodyX

I guess there's no way for me to recover it then is there?

Joe

I'm not quite sure where things went wrong. Depending on the version of Stencyl you were using, your workspace may have gotten changed, in which case the old game may still be in that folder.

- What version of Stencyl were you upgrading from?
- What OS are you on?
- What's your current workspace folder?
- Send over your logs.

NobodyX

I forget what I was upgrading from, something about 2.0 though. That's apparently the point that the folder changed (without me knowing of course). I'm on windows 7. My new folder is apparently appdata/roaming/stencyl/stencylworks/games whereas I thought it was the games folder in program files/stencyl.

NobodyX

Ok I'm 99.999% certain that it's lost forever, I'm just trying to get the game to test so that I can start to re-do the work I did. The game doesn't open any flash console or anything. This is a log of me opening the game, trying to test it (which doesn't actually test it) and then closing the program. I need help figuring out why the thing won't test.

https://www.box.com/s/aeed5bf5d20429bda358

Some code-mode behav's weren't working so I commented them out entirely instead of deleting them, because I didn't want to lose them entirely. Would that be why it won't test?

Nevermind, yeah it had something to do with those behaviours

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:54:02 pm by NobodyX »

Joe

Did you comment out the entire Behavior (function header, included) or just the contents? You probably don't want to do the former.

NobodyX

Commented out everything. (My stupidity with programming is why I use Stencyl :p)

Joe

If you un-comment everything but the actual parts of the Behaviors that do something, can you test your game?