My Second Game: The Robo Squad

dtrungle

Nice work so far. The game mechanics and the graphics are great as is. You will need to add some more animation though such as during the hover, the dash, and the electric fences.

Some issues I have are:
-When you create the Box, you can create it over a wall. Is this intentional?
-Swap characters using A>S>D and repeat. You will slowly move to the right.
-The first stage so far is a nice tutorial scene. I would add checkpoints so that after they completed an objective using an ability, they don't have to do it again when they fail the next ability. With that said, you need to implement a 'challenge' for each ability, aka add a gun task and rework the dash task (because you can just hover it).
-Polishing the cooldown aspect of the dash. (Do not popup words like that, maybe you can change the color of the guy or something. Also, the words popup when you switch characters.)
-When you crouch, you can only shoot left.
-You mention the spacebar as a button but it isn't.  ;D

Keep up the good work.

AwesomePassword

Quote from: dtrunglee
-When you create the Box, you can create it over a wall. Is this intentional?
No, it's a bug that I'll try and fix.
-Swap characters using A>S>D and repeat. You will slowly move to the right.
This is cause by the fact that each character is a different size, resulting in misplacement when switching characters. Will be fixed in the next version.
-The first stage so far is a nice tutorial scene. I would add checkpoints so that after they completed an objective using an ability, they don't have to do it again when they fail the next ability. With that said, you need to implement a 'challenge' for each ability, aka add a gun task and rework the dash task (because you can just hover it).
The checkpoint isn't necessary at this point, I feel, because the first level is so easy. Also, the gun task isn't there yet because I haven't fully finished the shooting code. The dash task is kind of beatable by hovering, which I'll fix at some point.
-Polishing the cooldown aspect of the dash.(Do not popup words like that, maybe you can change the color of the guy or something. Also, the words popup when you switch characters.)
It's true that the "cooldown" for the dash is pretty ugly, but remember, this is just a demo. The final version will of course make the character flash or something. Also, the words popping up when you switch is intentional, so you can't just dash, switch characters quickly, and then dash again.
-When you crouch, you can only shoot left.
Yeah, that's also a bug.
-You mention the spacebar as a button but it isn't.  ;D
Oh yeah, that was because back then spacebar was an ability button. I forgot to change it when I reworked the controls.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the feedback! :)
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

AwesomePassword

YES! The new version is here.
Mainly, the big thing about this update is animations. Bolt is now (nearly) fully animated. Also, his block is kind of animated too.
A bug was also fixed involving switching characters, which dtrunglee mentioned:
"Swap characters using A>S>D and repeat. You will slowly move to the right."
well it's fixed now!
Another change it "batteries." Before, you had to collect them all to beat the level. I didn't particularly like the idea, though, because if you miss one in a certain place, you will be unable to reach it and you have to restart. One example of this is in Zoom's hover challenge; if you miss a battery over a spike, you can't get it, ever, unless you restart. So now you just need to reach the end!
Finally, Xoid had a gun tutorial challenge now. Shoot the switch to activate the blocks, and reach the end of the level!
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

AwesomePassword

Update!
The second level is now available, albeit still a Work In Progress. There are also some polished up graphics in certain places. Also, I made two major changes to Zoom's abilities:
-Hover now slows your horizontal movement
-Dash disables gravity, so you don't fall downwards while you're dashing
Anyways, go play and tell me what you think of this version!
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

AwesomePassword

update!
Well, this update was mainly focused on the first level and instructions. The directions weren't very clear, and most of my friends thought the Z was a 2, so I completely rewrote the tutorial. Anyways, the next update will probably be focused on animations. I also slightly added some more content to level 2.
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

AwesomePassword

Version 0.15 is now up and running. This update is ACTION PACKED!
-Pretty effects! Switching between characters now provides a fast white flash. It seemed like a nice aesthetic polishing touch.
-Zoom is now 90% animated. The only remaining animations are for the idle, hover, and dash.
-The second level is now locked and loaded, and fully finished. Next stop is the third level. :)
-I'm waiting for my music. (hint hint, musician :P)
Now go play the game at http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14227!
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

dtrungle

Noticed how the player can get stuck when moving from ground to the platforms that you can go through from below.

Noticed a good chunk of performance dropping in the second stage. This becomes very noticable when you swap or use skills.

The hover ability's animation seems wrong?

I got to the area with the left/right platforms and I believe I got myself wedged between that and the wall and the game froze.

AwesomePassword

Version 0.16 has been created!
Level 3 has been designed and finished. It introduces a new mechanic involving colored blocks.
Now go play the game at http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14227!
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

AwesomePassword

UPDATE! Level 4 has been made! There are also various random graphic polishes.  :)

Check out the game at http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14227!
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

baguette

Not a bad game so far! Could do with some enemies to make it trickier, but I like the puzzle elements. Level 4 is quite unforgiving :P

One thing I noticed - you can crouch when you're Xoid and you need that ability to pass under the small gap on Level 2, just before the lasers where you need to change into Bolt. However, you can change character when you're in the small gap and can also "stand up" so you probably need to add some stuff to detect whether Xoid is crouched and stop certain things happening.

Has potential though!

BloxmineXL

The robots remind me of a Lego set:

Jon

This sort of reminds me of a robot switching game that Luyren prototype way back in the beta phase. Like that game, the tricky thing with a game like this is the control scheme. It's really easy to forget what to hit, and you end up doing the wrong things because of that (to much hilarity).

What games like this do is display reminders of the control scheme on-screen. If you look at any modern Zelda game, it displays pictures of the buttons in its HUD. You could do something similar, especially for a game where the function of the keys changes depending on which state you're in.

Although this game doesn't totally remind me of it, the game mechanic ends up being somewhat similar to Lost Vikings in the character swapping / different abilities aspect. You might be able to take some cues from that with regards to how to make the game more intuitive to pick up.

AwesomePassword

UPDATE PLUS! This time mostly polishing up some things.
Changes:
-Spiced up graphics on characters
-Overall better look on tiles and background
-Some improved sprites on certain blocks
-HUD updated to include controls and abilities
-Bolt animation completed and polished
Play the game at http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/14227!
~Password
===
Games:
-Tetra Factory - 80%

Photon

Hey, played your game some! Here's my bit:

Pros:
-Obviously, the distinct characters and their abilities are key to this game. And so far, they are exercised moderately well. I find the box-making ability to be especially creative and unique. I think there is a lot of room to use that mechanic.
-You made some interesting challenges in your levels, such as the one part with the springs and the harazdous ceiling (Level 2, I believe). Good job!

Cons:
-Though showing early signs of promise, I fear the game is a little too straightforward. A lot of tasks involve straightforward "press this button here" gameplay. To try and state it more concisely, it feels like you are following a certain set of instructions rather than playing a game where you have to react and utilize skill and strategy to complete an area. Even if we were to quantify this as a puzzle platformer, its probably still too straightforward; most tasks don't require you to think too hard about them, and once you have them figured out, its pretty... er, straightforward (I know I keep using that word).
-The control scheme is a little wonky when it comes to having to do quick switches. For instance, when you crouch then switch to Bolt and shield. It doesn't feel very natural. You might want to change that. Also, controls seems to stick for no apparent reason (example: robot running indefinitely into a wall).
-Zoom's hover animation... is it supposed to do that?

Ultimately, I feel like the word to describe what I feel is missing is "finesse". You have some great concepts and a great base to work with, but it needs that something that weaves it all together. The pacing feels too slow for it to be an action platformer but too straightforward for it to be a puzzle platformer. What's your focus, and how do you intend to accomplish and solidify that in game?

I hope I didn't come across harsh, but I want to see you make this into something great, so I thought I'd share my side. Honestly, there is some great stuff here and some great potential!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!