Mini-Suggestion Thread

Alexin

The "for" block doesn't make your use case easier. Loop blocks are executed right away, so they block the whole behavior as long as they are running. I think you're confusing them with timed tasks, which execution is delayed and let the game run normally.

Loops are useful to count things.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

gamedivision

sorry my terminology is wrong, not  a block, whatever you call it in the time section,but a for in there..

thanks

Rukiri

This has bugged me since stencyl's beta, while it's nice that behaviors make up an actor it's also extremely and I say this as nicely as possible EXTREMELY limiting for certain genre's like RPGs, Platformers(like Sonic for example) and even shoot em ups.

I would like to see some sort of page support or the ability to code right into the actor very much like Game makers step function and you can use variable switches to control what goes on.

As good as stencyl is the way actors are setup just makes it to much of a play thing than doing serious work.

I think behaviors should work out like scripts or if you use the visual editor game events, I love how you can code with stencyl but I hate how it's executed for games, look at RPG Maker and Ruby how well they integrate with each other(ruby 1.9.2 is blazing fast and has benefited rpg maker ace)'

So take away the event's page system and only allowing yourself to use pre-coded behaviors and you'll find it limiting.  RPG Dialog for example, say you want to talk to that person at night(you have some sort of day/night game script going on) and he'll say something different.

Also keep in mind that I'm a coder and this would benefit stencyl as a whole.

The way it stands using switches or game variables to change an actors behavior after something key happens is just impossible not not worth the effort, it's easier doing it in C#/XNA with the way actors are set up and that's pretty sad.

Sure you want to give a game studio to novices but you can still keep it simple by allow to code behaviors directly into the actor instead of externally, it makes it a lot easier plus I don't like the whole global behavior thing works.

You guys should look into how game maker handles actors, I'd much prefer Stencyl > Game Maker as it's a superior tool(IMHO). 

A simple check box for when creating an actor would be nice (like do you want to code directly or use our global behaviors system for this actor)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:57:43 pm by Rukiri »

Alexin

Actor Instance customization allows you to add, remove and configure behaviors for a specific actor instance in the Scene Designer.

Isn't it the same you're asking for?
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Silux

Increment and decrement block wrapper displays also Game attributes(only numbers).

Deleting blocks with Back key when right-clicked.Or while you are dragging them

Being able to select blocks.Selected blocks will be highlighted.while a block is selected you can copy it by ctrl+c and paste with ctrl+v; you can delete it with Back key.

Change block colours preferences.(this may seem odd, but Stencyl has both green and red blocks and daltonics can't differ them)

When creating a new actor you can choose an actor model.Maybe you can also auto attach some behaviour when you create them(you can set what to auto attach)
Example:
Button-Physics disabled, Actor collision group,"When clicked" attached
Bullet-All phisics enabled, Bullet collision group,"Inflicts damage" and "Bullet manager" attached

Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

Sunflower

I would find really useful block like: "append [text attribute] by [text to add]", which would work pretty similarly to "set [text attribute] to [[the same text attribute] + [text to add]". ;)

Silux

Control-dragging a block drags out a copy of the block(just as duplicate)
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

coleislazy

Control-dragging a block drags out a copy of the block(just as duplicate)

This is what alt-drag does now. Or am I missing something?

EpicWorld

I want Stencyl in romanian language, it will be a little bit easier to use [at least for Romanians like me :P ]

rob1221

I have a couple small suggestions.  One is a combination code block that allows the user to combine code and blocks together on the same line.  Currently, if I want to make a variable in code and set it to a block, I need to use three lines of code blocks.  Sure I can just use code, but I still don't know all the syntax so it's easier to use blocks when possible.

My second suggestion is to make a dropdown option for custom block inputs, rather than using fill-in-the-blank all the time.  It will be useful to avoid inputting invalid data, especially for custom blocks that are publicly shared.

Play

There should be an option to make an iOS game save every time you choose to test it on a device. Unlike testing in flash, you have to save the game prior to each testing to see any changes made before testing on a device.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:13:21 pm by Play »

JemDkyl

This might have been suggested before, but I'd like to be able to make my uploads to the Stencyl Forge only available for some users. When I upload, there is a chance that someone else will download my work while my partner is downloading it as well, so we have to make public and private all the time. Also, both of us needs to be online to transfer the game through the Forge, but if I could make it private to specific users, I could just leave it open and even if I was offline, he could download it.

TanteiSakana

Some (hopefully) small GUI things I've wanted....
  • Set default attribute type in the "Create an attribute...." dialog to "Number" instead of "Actor."
  • Add ability to change the license of a resource in StencylForge without re-uploading it.
  • Allow 'updating' a resource through StencylForge. Re-'sharing' a resource from a game is a bit weird to me, and appears to be undocumented on Stencylpedia.
  • Behavior attribute presets. It'd be nice for behaviors with a lot of attributes.
  • Remember last open page on StencylForge. Currently it only remembers the category, not whether it's on "Featured" or "Newest" or whatever.
  • Mention somewhere that StencylForge resource descriptions are in HTML? (This is intentional, right?) It's a bit awkward not knowing why all your newlines get zapped whenever you submit it.
  • Ability to copy+paste actors in scene editor. (Although, from the fact this isn't in there, I'm assuming this is harder than it seems.)
....so, yeah. Stencyl 2.0 made the GUI much better, though, so I can't complain too much. Thanks. : P

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 06:59:01 pm by TanteiSakana »

Play

- When dragging a block into a field, it should always be placed there whenever your mouse is directly over that field. Sometimes it can be a real hassle to put getter blocks into an empty field because it will attempt to go into fields nearby and not the one intended. When dragging blocks, it would be very convenient if they would be placed in the intended field 100% of the time.

- It would be helpful if we could zoom out while editing behaviors; when working on my laptop it can get too cluttered to easily see my code. On a similar note, I'd like to be able to shrink or minimize the block picker menu smaller than it can be set now.

- I'd like the option in the scene editor to snap actors to the tile grid.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:20:59 pm by Play »

captaincomic

- When dragging a block into a field, it should always be placed there whenever your mouse is directly over that field. Sometimes it can be a real hassle to put getter blocks into an empty field because it will attempt to go into fields nearby and not the one intended. When dragging blocks, it would be very convenient if they would be placed in the intended field 100% of the time.
+1 :)

- I'd like the option in the scene editor to snap actors to the tile grid.
You can do this by holding the shift key. ;)