Weird Error

Ethan

I'm running the latest version of SW and I get this error when I test a game:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
   at stencyl.api.data::Assets$/toXML()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/data/Assets.as:145]
   at scripts::MyAssets/loadScenes()[C:\Program Files\Stencyl\b351\sandbox\flash\scripts\MyAssets.as:644]
   at stencyl.api.data::Assets/loadAll()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/data/Assets.as:87]
   at scripts::MyAssets/initAssets()[C:\Program Files\Stencyl\b351\sandbox\flash\scripts\MyAssets.as:498]
   at <anonymous>()[C:\Program Files\Stencyl\b351\sandbox\flash\scripts\MyAssets.as:434]

I was able to play games at first, but now this randomly happened.

Blob

I get that kind of error whenever the files in the games folder are corrupted, typically the .xml files. I don't have a solution.

~ Blob

Alexin

Post the XML files located in the folder "scenes" of your game, please.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Ethan

Nevermind I did some playing around with things (and restarted SW) and somehow it was fixed)

Hopefully it won't come back.

Jon

I get that kind of error whenever the files in the games folder are corrupted, typically the .xml files. I don't have a solution.

~ Blob

This is different from the thing you ran into. In this case, the XML file was either left out or unreadable by the engine, so it at least opened in SW.

Blob

This is different from the thing you ran into. In this case, the XML file was either left out or unreadable by the engine, so it at least opened in SW.
I was getting these kinds of errors soon after fixing my game from the 'unable to open at all' bug, but as Ethan said it would either go away on its own or I would find a solution from fixing a backed up copy instead. You're probably right in that the error isn't related to the corrupted .xml files, I just connected the two because those two issues always followed one another for me.

~ Blob