How to animate a drawing?

BlazingRiver

Hey guys,
I've got a drawing of the character that i am using in the game attached. My question is how to animate a character who is currently standing still into a running/walking animation. I am currently using flash and i am going to convert the finished .swf into a sprite sheet I have tried using the bone tool and i have also tried redrawing the arms and the legs in each frame to make it look like a running/walking animation using the onionskin but when i redraw it it doesnt look smooth and with the bone tool there are lots of gaps in the joints and it looks horrible!

Thanks

GreenGuy

if you try redrawing the arms and legs... make sure you turn the body too... (if your character is moving to the left make sure your body is turned to the left).
________________,.-*'Renewal'*-.,________________
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,10615.0.html
------------------------'*-.,Renewal,.-*'------------------------

BlazingRiver

if you try redrawing the arms and legs... make sure you turn the body too... (if your character is moving to the left make sure your body is turned to the left).

Well i was planning to move the eyes and the mouth to the right when it turns right and to the left when it turns left.

Hectate

If you're going to utilize Flash to generate the images, I'd recommend both checking out some tutorials specific to Flash - as well as searching Google for animation tutorials and tips in general.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

vikingpotato

drawing each frame is good and usually works..
If you do not like output of your animation, it doesn't really mean that the approach is wrong. maybe you can just tweak what you do not like until you reach a nice cycle..
Walk cycle is very basic, there are a lot of tutorials ans references on the web.. have a look around :)

BlazingRiver

The problem I'm having is that its not a front view or a side view of it walking. Its kind of a frontside view (if that makes sense). Its facing forward but walking right and its features on its face are to the right to make it look he is facing towards the right. Ive seen tutorials on the web but they are for side views.

MetalRenard

Are you asking for a technique or literally the stages (images) you need to create to make it look like he's walking towards you?
For the second you could film yourself walking to find out.
Composer. Rocker. World Ambassador For Foxes.
http://metalrenardmusic.com/

BlazingRiver

A bit of both actually i want him to walk to the right (not towards you) but i dont want it to be a side profile as it is a it is meant to be a 2d doodle character.