Perdition -- BETA TESTING! 4 DIFFERENT ENDINGS!

Carrill

Play it here!

Stencyl Arcade

---

You begin as nothing. You are reduced to little more than a mindless, empty husk and though a world of terrible pain surrounds you, it is second nature to you. Perdition exists all around you and yet somehow, you cannot express fear.

But then from the shadows, a voice calls to you. It sings to you... Seducing you with the promise of knowledge. And as this strange entity engulfs your every thought, you are forever changed.

You have now been awakened... exposed to the truths of the horrific world all around you. Confronted by a sadistic and unforgiving god-like entity, will you succumb to the torment? Or will you cling to free will? Will you seek power and rebel? Or will foolish choices be the cause of your demise?

Explore the wasteland.

Resist your programming.

And uncover the dark truths behind your Perdition.

---

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:31:19 pm by Carrill »

Carrill

It's way overdue that I filled up this post... So its about time that I attempt something of a devlog here.

Game Overview

Perdition is a atmospheric and story-driven 2D Platformer. Set in a metallic wasteland of death and decay, the player takes on the role of an android who has "awakened," achieving free thought and self-awareness. Using this ability of free thought, players must explore what remains of the world as they choose whether to obey or disobey the commands of an unforgiving, sadistic god.

I've been working on this game for over a year and a half. The original idea came to me a while after I was reintroduced to Blade Runner. I was taking a science fiction class and reading the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep through the curriculum made me want to want to make a game about well... androids. More specifically, androids suffering as a result of their humanity/lack of it. At the same time, I was also very inspired by the visual style of Amon26's Gyossait. This was essentially the way this project began its life.

I wanted to create a game centered on androids, mystery, atmosphere, ambiguity, and meaningful choices. The major theme is "atonement," as the title of the game would suggest and the post-apocalypse the game takes place in is essentially Hell or some sort of prison. Players find themselves caught in the middle of two major antagonists, a brutal and unkind "God" and a seductive and menacing "Devil," manipulated and used as nothing more than a mere pawn.

If anything makes Perdition a unique experience, I believe is it's emphasis on choice. The game is constantly throwing you choices at you and there's more than one way to tackle its challenges. Currently, there are 4 different endings you can earn based on your decisions.

At the moment, the game is in Beta stage. You can move through the game from start to finish and each of the four endings can be earned. Sound and music however is still largely in progress.

Tasks Recently Completed

*Fixed issues with Gunner Executioners firing upon entering the screen.
*Was told the game felt a bit sluggish. Slightly increased Eve's running speed and shortened the frames of her running animation.
*Locked doors and switches now share a red 'evil eye' insignia. This will help better clarify which doors are locked and which ones aren't.
*Spider Executioners now telegraph to the player that they're about to move with a white flash. The same has been implemented for Gunner Executioners.
*You can no longer get stuck inside of an elevator.

Bugs/Issues to be Fixed

*Fix up the gun. Firing a split second before you land causes it to not fire at times.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:57:19 pm by Carrill »

Sift

Bravo! Amazing work in detail, I really love the flow of the art. Good job!

GregAnims

Looks cool, i hope the puzzles and hostile encounters are interesting.

ipe 369

i don't know about the gameplay, but this is some of THE most beautiful pixelart in a game i've ever seen. How long did it take you to learn? I seem to rememember you posting something on these forums a while ago about you learning to do pixelart, and you posted one of these images... How did you get so good in such a short space of time??? Which tutorials have you looked at?

Carrill

i don't know about the gameplay, but this is some of THE most beautiful pixelart in a game i've ever seen. How long did it take you to learn? I seem to rememember you posting something on these forums a while ago about you learning to do pixelart, and you posted one of these images... How did you get so good in such a short space of time??? Which tutorials have you looked at?

I have not been doing pixel art for any longer than I have been working on this game. So that pretty much means I've only been doing pixel art for a little more than two months.

For one thing, I feel that I have developed a good understanding for art in general. I'm pretty good at drawing and I understand how to use color. But really, it's sort of been trial and error. You should have seen this game's art style after two weeks in of development. It didn't look horrible, but I've certainly improved a long way in that time.

I'd recommend to just look at specific games. For example, because I was trying to create a world with a lot of strange and bizarre machinery I looked at the sprite work for Final Fantasy VI.

And as for tutorials, I would just take a quick peek of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObrWV6J8M2Y

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:31:26 pm by Carrill »

TrevelyanDes

really pretty, and seems to have a mind of its own as well. cant wait to play it.

daniloafx

Great art syle and looks very promissing! Keep on

ipe 369

I'm pretty anxious to see this game released. i think it's gonna be great :) How far are you with it now?

Carrill

Sorry guys for the lack up updates as of late! I was really busy in school over the Fall and now I'm busy working my butt off on this game! :P

I'm pretty anxious to see this game released. i think it's gonna be great :) How far are you with it now?

At this point, I have most of the art done and the majority of the mechanics complete. And pretty soon, I'll have the first five levels completely playable! ;)

EDIT: OLD SCREENS BELOW

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 10:49:03 am by Carrill »

ipe 369

EHRMAHGURD a red affro ;)

ipe 369

Aha, i see that now ;) The white dude's black hair combined with the background made it look like a red tinted affro XD

Carrill

Aha, i see that now ;) The white dude's black hair combined with the background made it look like a red tinted affro XD

If you look closely, you'll see that she's a lady. xD

She's an android.

dtrungle

Very unique artwork. It's so gloomy and desolate looking. If you can pull of some good dialog and sounds with a bit of gameplay I am sure this will be a hit to a good chunk of people. :)