Perdition -- BETA TESTING! 4 DIFFERENT ENDINGS!

Miragician

Really liked the atmosphere.

The dynamic between Overlord and Tanas and the information they told you gave me a strong Dark Souls vibe as well.

In general, here are some things to improve on.

-Skip the panning animation following the orb/soul back to the respawn point. I died a lot in the demo and I nearly lost my patience several times throughout the game, especially since some puzzles seemed to require you to die a few times to continue.
-Combat needs to be made easier. It's sorta hard to believe Tanas's claim that you were some fearsome killer when you can still get easily disemboweled trying to kill a lowly spider. Perhaps reduce the health of spiders to one unit.
-Some of the placement of platforms throughout the game require near-perfect jumping at a certain point, which can be frustrating when you fail just because you didn't jump far enough or because you bumped against some ceiling. Try fiddling with making the platforming easier.
-Some of Overlord's text can glitch together if you move too fast between the situations that trigger his dialogue (For example, moving away from the "forbidden room" when he tells you not to enter it shows "DO NOT GO IN THERE" and "VERY GOOD" at the same time. This also happens if you die in the very first spike pit).

Other than that, excellent work! I can definitely see this on Newgrounds's front page when this gets released.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:59:03 am by Miragician »

Carrill

I enjoyed the demo!

The only gripes I had were :
-The respawn times when you died close to the respawn machine.
-(Without the sword) The spiders on the platforms where you had to fall down on. At times it became more of a luck-based obstacle, especially that first drop where you couldn't see the ground you're landing on.

Will keep an eye out for this.  ;)

Thanks a lot for your feedback! :D

I can definitely adjust spider enemy positions for players rejecting the sword! Players who purposely ignore weapons should definitely expect some tougher difficulty, but I'll definitely adjust things so that they feel as they get more of a fighting chance.

Really liked the atmosphere.

The dynamic between Overlord and Tanas and the information they told you gave me a strong Dark Souls vibe as well.

In general, here are some things to improve on.

-Skip the panning animation following the orb/soul back to the respawn point. I died a lot in the demo and I nearly lost my patience several times throughout the game, especially since some puzzles seemed to require you to die a few times to continue.
-Combat needs to be made easier. It's sorta hard to believe Tanas's claim that you were some fearsome killer when you can still get easily disemboweled trying to kill a lowly spider. Perhaps reduce the health of spiders to one unit.
-Some of the placement of platforms throughout the game require near-perfect jumping at a certain point, which can be frustrating when you fail just because you didn't jump far enough or because you bumped against some ceiling. Try fiddling with making the platforming easier.
-Some of Overlord's text can glitch together if you move too fast between the situations that trigger his dialogue (For example, moving away from the "forbidden room" when he tells you not to enter it shows "DO NOT GO IN THERE" and "VERY GOOD" at the same time. This also happens if you die in the very first spike pit).

Other than that, excellent work! I can definitely see this on Newgrounds's front page when this gets released.

It's good to know I'm actually doing some things right! :D

I've already adjusted the panning animation of the soul/orb a bit. It never bothered me, personally but I've been advised by a lot of players actually to speed it up a bit. You still see the soul moving from out of her body and returning to the respawn chamber, but it moves A LOT quicker. Should make you happy.

In terms of combat, I can certainly lower the spider enemies' health but at the same time I wouldn't want to bring too much power to the sword weapon. You see, there this alternate weapon in the game that's a gun. And compared the sword, I've essentially intended it to be the ultimate symbol of power within the game. I pretty much want players to value the gun over the sword in a way that makes the sword seem like more like a challenge. But I can adjust things still.

Also, in terms of the platforms, which ones in particular?

Miragician

Also, in terms of the platforms, which ones in particular?

I guess anything involving the blocks and the acid pools. More specifically, that one area where you first get the halo and there's the first block. I either kept on bumping into places trying to get onto the ledge that led you to the "forbidden room" or died in acid when I was trying to jump from the block (in the acid) to the other side. Sort of the same thing in the spider area.

It is also easy to die on the first spike pit.

There's the last part of the first Overlord segment if you decide to rebel against him, but then again, it is supposed to be hard considering Overlord's punishing you.

Carrill

Not a single update lately, but worry not! The project's still going strong! I'm beginning work on a few of the later levels within the game as well as taking the time to polish previous levels even more.

In the coming days, I'm planning on expanding the playable demo I already have right now. Originally, I planned for the demo to take you just a little bit further through the game and soon enough, I'll be able to do just that. It'll end at a much crueler cliffhanger than before, but it should leave you that much more excited as to the final product!

In the mean time, here's something new I've been spending time working on. Just a little scene from within the game.

Carrill

Okay! New demo available! I have it both here on Stencyl Arcade and on Newgrounds as a dump item. Whichever's your preference!

Newgrounds: link
Stencyl Arcade: link

This new demo pretty much goes all the way until the beginning of the third act. For a normal length game, that might be considered much too long for a demo's length but this game will be very short. In terms of new content, there's quite a couple of new and interesting things. One of the earlier levels has been totally revamped. And in a few of the later levels, you actually get to use the gun you obtained at the end of the last demo.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get anything new into the game in terms of music. My composer/sound designer has been on vacation but he'll be getting back to work on things.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts and criticisms! I've put a lot of energy into this game's development and it's important to me to hear from you all what's working and what needs to be pushed.

Meteos

I played the stencyl version, very good game so far. I got to the part where it said " VIOLENCE is in your PROGRAMMING" went into the elevator and when it went off the screen nothing happened...was that the end of the demo? I noticed things were being deactivated only halfway off the screen, disappearing in plain view.

I would of liked if there was some enemy variety. The first part was all just the same exact executioner guy plopped all over the place, could of had some shoot up or down, shoot different number of bullets, use some other weapon, etc. That BEW BEW BEW sound got kinda annoying when there were several of them in one spot. Then that second part which was full of one spider.

And it seems when you come back to life after dying, you have to wait like 1 second before you could move again, not too fond of that. Lastly, the words that told you not to hit that one switch came too close to the switch, by the time it appeared it was too late for me to notice it.

Miragician

Hey, I've noticed that I can't get past the executioner right after you disobey Overlord ("Did we enjoy our little rebellion?"). He shoots too fast to make it past him, even if you time it and try to go across the platform after the executioner shoots. Normally, I was able to advance past that point in previous demos (the ones that used the A and S keys), but I think that was because I was playing on an old computer, which slowed Flash down. Anyways, could you find a way to remedy this?

I would of liked if there was some enemy variety.

This is more of a game that aims to try to tell a story through atmosphere, rather than provide straight up action. I think it's thematically appropriate that there should be executioners and spiders everywhere; they reflect the domains of Overlord and Tanas respectively. Providing different enemy types only benefits gameplay, which isn't the focus here.

Carrill

I played the stencyl version, very good game so far. I got to the part where it said " VIOLENCE is in your PROGRAMMING" went into the elevator and when it went off the screen nothing happened...was that the end of the demo? I noticed things were being deactivated only halfway off the screen, disappearing in plain view.

I would of liked if there was some enemy variety. The first part was all just the same exact executioner guy plopped all over the place, could of had some shoot up or down, shoot different number of bullets, use some other weapon, etc. That BEW BEW BEW sound got kinda annoying when there were several of them in one spot. Then that second part which was full of one spider.

And it seems when you come back to life after dying, you have to wait like 1 second before you could move again, not too fond of that. Lastly, the words that told you not to hit that one switch came too close to the switch, by the time it appeared it was too late for me to notice it.

Actually, there's much more left to the demo than that. Maybe try it again? I just tested it right now, and I was able to progress past that part.

And also, at the beginning of the project, I was actually planning for the Executioners to use multiple types of weapons. But this was later scrapped for the sake of simplicity. I was concerned of my own ability to program such things as well how effective it would really be to the game if there were different types of enemies. At it's heart, Perdition is a game of story and atmosphere.

At this point, I'm a bit too far in development to consider adding in new enemies but this is definitely something I can improve upon in my future games. Also, the gun firing SFX is only temporary. My sound designer on this project will be working on something much less repetitive sounding.

Hey, I've noticed that I can't get past the executioner right after you disobey Overlord ("Did we enjoy our little rebellion?"). He shoots too fast to make it past him, even if you time it and try to go across the platform after the executioner shoots. Normally, I was able to advance past that point in previous demos (the ones that used the A and S keys), but I think that was because I was playing on an old computer, which slowed Flash down. Anyways, could you find a way to remedy this?

I've made his timing a little more lenient. You should be able to pass him. Hopefully, he still comes across as challenging enough for that disobedient path.

Meteos

I managed to finished the demo. I decided not to kill the guy when I was told to this time and made it through just fine, not sure why it'll have anything to do with it though. The rest of the demo was good, hard too. Don't really have much new to say.

I already know that this game is about atmosphere and story, that's the main reason why I said the game was so good at the start of my original post. Having enemies that act differently can to add more then just the gameplay. Simply having a executioner walk around can show you that they're looking for victims to kill. Or have a spider slowly descend on a web, as you see one slice off someones head. it could work.

But the game itself is good enough as it is. If you feel it's not worth the risk or time, there's no need to add it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:36:39 pm by Meteos »

Carrill

Updates!

So... bad news first. Unfortunately, my Intuos tablet has died on me. It'll cut my progress on any additional sprites and animations; but luckily I should be able to replace it soon enough.

In terms of better news, I've responded to criticism and made adjustments. The way you originally couldn't pass through the first main area without the use of the Halo was criticized, as Perdition is a game of choice. Forcing the player to use the Halo in the beginning helped to teach the mechanic, but it also strayed from the overall theme of the game. It's now possible to complete that beginning area without the Halo; however, its remains a challenge to do so.

In addition, the gun weapon Tanas gives you has received a major change. It once functioned more as a Gatling gun but now works as more of a laser beam weapon. I made this change simply for the purpose of separating the game further from a certain other flash game with a dark and moody art style. I hope it feels just as powerful to people.

Finally, one of the final levels has been largely completed. It isn't truly the last level, but it's definitely the biggest challenge area in the entire game. You'll have to explore this area before finally confronting Tanas. I attached a snapshot of it to this post.

At this point, I believe the majority of the heavy lifting is through with. The remaining levels will be much less challenging to design than the last one I created and the majority of the programming and art is through with. I'm hoping the game will see its release sometime during the Holidays.

New playtests and criticisms are always welcome!

Stencyl Link - http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21321
Newgrounds Dump File - http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6b1acf814c9fde4699e5f72f515d018b

Miragician

Updates!

Finally, one of the final levels has been largely completed. It isn't truly the last level, but it's definitely the biggest challenge area in the entire game. You'll have to explore this area before finally confronting Tanas. I attached a snapshot of it to this post.

At this point, I believe the majority of the heavy lifting is through with. The remaining levels will be much less challenging to design than the last one I created and the majority of the programming and art is through with. I'm hoping the game will see its release sometime during the Holidays.

New playtests and criticisms are always welcome!

I haven't had the time to playtest the demo, but the progress you've made is outstanding. Keep up the good work!

I'll post something later when I finally get through the game.

Miragician

PERDITION REVIEW, FIRST AREA [DISOBEY GOMADI ROUTE]
I will be updating this as I continue through the demo.

The first part of the game seems very polished as it is, and it wasn't as much as a challenge as last time to get past the executioners, with the right timing. Still, it requires a few tries to get through, so mission accomplished with difficulty.

A question I would like to ask is "What's up with the switch in the first area changing places?" I've been noticing this in both this demo and the last one. It doesn't seem to have a definite function, unless it is meant for opening the first door you encounter. Anyways, it seems to change places whenever I begin a new playthrough. Is this intentional or accidental?

The physics of the game seem slightly different from the last demo. I can't exactly put my finger to it, but it seems the jumps are different and you have less traction than before. I don't know how this will affect gameplay, though I was still able to disobey Overlord Gomadi all the way through.

The "Remember" menu command doesn't work the way I expect it to. It doesn't bring up a save, and so it's frustrating that I have to start up an entire new game when I leave and return for a second playthrough. Any explanations?

Finally, there's a small bug where one of the bullets will stay frozen on the muzzle of an executioner's rifle until he starts firing again. I think it happens if he gets scrolled offscreen and then back onscreen really quickly.

That's all I'll have to say for now. Going to get to Tanas.

Carrill

PERDITION REVIEW, FIRST AREA [DISOBEY GOMADI ROUTE]
I will be updating this as I continue through the demo.

The first part of the game seems very polished as it is, and it wasn't as much as a challenge as last time to get past the executioners, with the right timing. Still, it requires a few tries to get through, so mission accomplished with difficulty.

A question I would like to ask is "What's up with the switch in the first area changing places?" I've been noticing this in both this demo and the last one. It doesn't seem to have a definite function, unless it is meant for opening the first door you encounter. Anyways, it seems to change places whenever I begin a new playthrough. Is this intentional or accidental?

The physics of the game seem slightly different from the last demo. I can't exactly put my finger to it, but it seems the jumps are different and you have less traction than before. I don't know how this will affect gameplay, though I was still able to disobey Overlord Gomadi all the way through.

The "Remember" menu command doesn't work the way I expect it to. It doesn't bring up a save, and so it's frustrating that I have to start up an entire new game when I leave and return for a second playthrough. Any explanations?

Finally, there's a small bug where one of the bullets will stay frozen on the muzzle of an executioner's rifle until he starts firing again. I think it happens if he gets scrolled offscreen and then back onscreen really quickly.

That's all I'll have to say for now. Going to get to Tanas.

Yes. The "Remember" option is a future saving and loading feature. However, I haven't set it up yet. I'm planning to do it later so it will be available in the final version.

As for the switch and the door in the first room, the purpose is to teach the player that some doors are locked and that its needed to pull a switch to open them. As for them changing around, that's all me. I recently tried changing the switch's location to make it clearer as to where it was.

Also, yeah... Overlord got a name change. I feel it sounds a lot less generic and that it ties him closer to Tanas as far as the style of the name goes.

Tanas = Satan
Gomadi = God I Am

EDIT: Also!!! I sketched up a sort of cutsie/creepy drawing of the main character, Eve. I'm going to take it into Photoshop, fix up the anatomy in places, and make an entire painting of it. Could make a nice avatar~

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:13:58 pm by Carrill »

Carrill

Well... That was a nice distraction.

Anyway, I recently fixed a glitch where the laser cannon was unable to affect regular androids. A playtester told me about it.

EDIT: I also added an extra respawn chamber in the very first level where its possible to die. This should make the game more accessible for players at the beginning. I think it took so long because I had no idea how I wanted to implement it for a while.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:21:03 pm by Carrill »

philandy

I love the mood, setting, and theme of the game. However, the artificial boundaries are a bit frustrating.

The first artificial boundary I don't like is the enemies "holding the ropes," meaning if I hit them with a weapon they cannot be hurt the next moment. That caused me to die a few times. The next one is jumping off certain ledges - you should encourage that heavily and it should lead to more places like the forbidden room.

You should also have more interaction between Gomadi and Tanas.