Perdition -- BETA TESTING! 4 DIFFERENT ENDINGS!

Carrill

I love the mood, setting, and theme of the game. However, the artificial boundaries are a bit frustrating.

The first artificial boundary I don't like is the enemies "holding the ropes," meaning if I hit them with a weapon they cannot be hurt the next moment. That caused me to die a few times. The next one is jumping off certain ledges - you should encourage that heavily and it should lead to more places like the forbidden room.

You should also have more interaction between Gomadi and Tanas.

What? Where was that?

I'm fairly certain any time you strike at an enemy you can immediately go in for additional hits. All of the combat is essentially just mashing on the C key. Is it the lack of telegraphing that you're inflicting extra damage? In that case, I intend to add a particle effect to show evidence of the damage you're doing.

philandy

What? Where was that?
I'm fairly certain any time you strike at an enemy you can immediately go in for additional hits. All of the combat is essentially just mashing on the C key. Is it the lack of telegraphing that you're inflicting extra damage? In that case, I intend to add a particle effect to show evidence of the damage you're doing.
Restarted and confirmed on the first spider with the sword. I'm sitting there spamming C over his dazed body, and it's a 75% chance of connecting when it gets back up. 25% chance he will hit me first, or perhaps based on when I start my flurry. Re-confirmed sword also cannot connect with dazed guards.

I will retry with the laser rifle. By the way, at some points the laser rifle would not fire after landing after jumping, re-confirmed on the first guard after acquiring the rifle.

Confirmed on the laser rifle on the first spider after. Spamming C does nothing until spider is not dazed anymore. I can spam the rifle on the guards though, hmm, sorry overlooked that.

Another issue is the first elevator - sometimes I get stuck in it and have to wiggle out, or wiggle in.
I am using your last NG link http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6b1acf814c9fde4699e5f72f515d018b since you took down the Stencyl one.

Further, I would like to be able to start my attacks in the air.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:34:21 pm by philandy »

Carrill

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken there. Even when the enemies are dazed, spamming the C key is perfectly viable. The only problem is that at the moment, there's little sign of damage aside from the shaking of the screen. But trust me that even if the screen is shaking, you're doing damage.

Now, I will be adding a particle effect to show damage in time. But the game is still unfinished at the moment. But working to complete the final levels is a bit more productive, so bare with me.

EDIT: Yeah, I've seen spiders getting up and immediately killing the player. It sort of depends on how soon you get in there. I was looking to make it so that each swing kept them stunned longer.

But I'm not interested in any aerial combat. I can make it so that its easier to attack right after you land.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:14:47 am by Carrill »

Carrill

Okay... I took me longer than a week but I've finally completed all the major content of this game. It's now possible to move from beginning to end of the game and to earn a variety of 4 different endings based on your choices!

I can finally say I'm at Beta on this project and so it's time to focus on testing, bug fixing, and polishing this game in hopes of earning a sponsorship. I'm really going to need the help of the Stencyl community on this one, so if you've yet to try this game, please do!

Stencyl Arcade - http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/23061

EDIT: In addition, I added a little devlog next to the original post. I go a little bit into the way this project began its life and my own personal interpretation as to the themes of the game.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:31:43 pm by Carrill »

Miragician

Woo! Nice job and good work! You evidently spent a lot of time on this project. I can definitely see it shooting to Newground's front page, and perhaps making a splash on indie game sites.

Going to test out the beta now. Will post thoughts and criticisms later as I go through the game.

Miragician

Alright, got to play through the game. Obtained the ending where "Eve" (is that her name?) apparently submits to Tanas. It seems this ending is the same regardless of whether you use the gun or not.

This game gave me a lot of food for thought, I give you my compliments on the design.

Some things of note:

-The game was much much easier than the last time I played it, which made for a much smoother gaming experience. I felt sort of disappointed that the path of most resistance was much, much easier now, but at the same time it allowed me to enjoy the story and world much better.
-I'm rather intrigued by how even trying to stay neutral doesn't really do anything beneficial. Most games would reward you for doing stuff like this, but the fact that being "neutral" doesn't do anything of note interests me. Not to mention that it's rather hard to be neutral in this game! Anyways, kudos for making the enemies much more forgiving, I'm sure other gamers will say the same.
-Art and animation have improved a lot and add to the atmosphere.
-Of course, menu options are a must. It bugs me that while I can save, I still can't pause.
-The collision detection of the spiders seems to be much more forgiving, which sort of ruins my suspension of disbelief. Several times I expected to get disemboweled whenever I landed on the spider, only to pass by unharmed. Then again, this seems to be a minor nitpick of mine.
-Sometimes you can get stuck on the edges of some platforms.
-There should be some sort of warning whenever you approach a halo in Tana's area/a gun in Gomadi's area. Not too blatant, just some indicator that would allow some players to avoid them if they want to. For some reason, the game decided to interpret me as being in Gomadi's favor when I accidentally ran into a halo (despite disobeying him as much as possible), and it seemed to have a significant impact on the ending I got. The game appeared to railroad me into going into the Abyss at the end. I don't know if that was the intent, but I spent a lot of gameplay time trying to find a way to get up to Gomadi to screw him over before I got to Tanas. Yeah, unrealistic expectations, but still.
-Gods are most likely not going to make spelling errors when they speak. Gomadi's "dissapoint" should be "disappoint," in this case.
-Some times the gun doesn't work as it is supposed to. I press the C key and nothing happens. Really frustrating whenever I'm in a showdown with an Executioner and the Executioner draws first because of this blunder.
-Some spiders can spaz if they're just offscreen

A question: does stunning or killing the enemies have any impact on the story? Is there a difference between the two (like the first being a "pacifist" option and the second being a "violent" option)?

Carrill

Alright, got to play through the game. Obtained the ending where "Eve" (is that her name?) apparently submits to Tanas. It seems this ending is the same regardless of whether you use the gun or not.

This game gave me a lot of food for thought, I give you my compliments on the design.

Thanks a lot for playing through the game! I'm going to try to address each thing you said. :D

-The game was much much easier than the last time I played it, which made for a much smoother gaming experience. I felt sort of disappointed that the path of most resistance was much, much easier now, but at the same time it allowed me to enjoy the story and world much better.

Yes, this was a very important thing. I wanted the path of resistance to be more challenging, but it turns out a lot of players just couldn't make it through that. And plus, resisting seems to be everybody's first instinct. Most players aren't that skilled, but even though the game is a bit easier, they should still be enough deaths to make it challenging for these types of people.

-I'm rather intrigued by how even trying to stay neutral doesn't really do anything beneficial. Most games would reward you for doing stuff like this, but the fact that being "neutral" doesn't do anything of note interests me. Not to mention that it's rather hard to be neutral in this game! Anyways, kudos for making the enemies much more forgiving, I'm sure other gamers will say the same.

Actually, staying neutral will give you the best ending.

-Of course, menu options are a must. It bugs me that while I can save, I still can't pause.

Yes, I should get to that! xD

-There should be some sort of warning whenever you approach a halo in Tana's area/a gun in Gomadi's area. Not too blatant, just some indicator that would allow some players to avoid them if they want to. For some reason, the game decided to interpret me as being in Gomadi's favor when I accidentally ran into a halo (despite disobeying him as much as possible), and it seemed to have a significant impact on the ending I got. The game appeared to railroad me into going into the Abyss at the end. I don't know if that was the intent, but I spent a lot of gameplay time trying to find a way to get up to Gomadi to screw him over before I got to Tanas. Yeah, unrealistic expectations, but still.

Whether you find a Halo or a Gun is purely dependent on whether or not you obeyed Gomadi's last command. At least, after both the Gun and the Halo have been introduced to you. So if you turned down Tanas' offer to use the Gun after being told not to accept his gifts, you'll be eligible to use the Halo--even if you're underground. The same goes for if you disobey a command on the surface. You'll find a Gun you can use.

-Some times the gun doesn't work as it is supposed to. I press the C key and nothing happens. Really frustrating whenever I'm in a showdown with an Executioner and the Executioner draws first because of this blunder.

I think the reason that comes is from you trying to fire the gun a split second before you actually reach the ground. I'm trying to correct that.

A question: does stunning or killing the enemies have any impact on the story? Is there a difference between the two (like the first being a "pacifist" option and the second being a "violent" option)?

The only violent actions that count are the ones you commit against those who do not try to hurt you. In the case with enemies, your acts of violence are in self-defense--not malice. So you can use weapons but still show restraint in your way of sparing the innocent.

Combat in the game is fun and I didn't want to punish players for enjoying that fun by guaranteeing them a bad ending. So you can fight enemies. You just can't hurt the innocent.

If you want to get a different ending, try bring a different weapon other than the gun to the final Tanas encounter. While you're climbing his tower, Gomadi warns you to not use the gun. And then, when you try to use the gun to shoot Tanas, he tells you that it is useless. You need to bring either the sword or the halo to that encounter. And make sure to mash the buttons as Tanas takes your control away.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:56:04 pm by Carrill »

Carrill

I think I fixed it to prevent the Flash player crash now. It's funny, it should have been fixed before when I added the invisible walls around the elevator's collision when it begins to move.

I also put in a basic Pausing option. It's weird how I have no option to make the backgrounds pause in Stencyl. I think I'll add a transparent black overlay to the screen to the pausing as well.

EDIT: Also, I corrected the spelling error... WOW, I did not even notice that.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:56:13 pm by Carrill »

ridhwaan08

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn

Carrill

Nice mention over at indiestatik - http://indiestatik.com/2013/12/13/perdition-2/

Yeah. Seeing that really made my day.

In regards to the game, some players have expressed interest in sparing Tanas in some way. So I'll be implementing that as an option. With the way it'll work, it won't change the direction of the plot in any way. But if you want to avoid killing Tanas, you will be able to.

wogoat

It may be counter to the general low-fi asthetic but i have to ask, are there any plans to record voices for Tanas and Gomadi?

Carrill

It may be counter to the general low-fi asthetic but i have to ask, are there any plans to record voices for Tanas and Gomadi?

I think there was an idea between my sound designer and I about having Gomadi "talk" similar to the way Dormin "talks" in Shadow of the Colossus. But I personally wasn't sure if it was worth it. Plus, it would be very difficult to implement something similar for Tanas with the way his game text is. Rather than appearing on the screen, his is kind of just somewhere in the level.

In addition, I've seen that there's an issue with the ending where Eve submits to Tanas. I accidentally deactivated one of the events in the scene. The wires that pull her up were supposed to enter a region, set the y-speed to 0, and then create the ending text. If you try it again, it should work.

Also, you can now spare Tanas if you want. How? Play it and find out!

Carrill

I've dealt with some more issues.

*The player no longer gets stuck at the edge of a platform
*I've given floating gun power up a white flicker to make it more noticeable
*Fixed a weird "bunny hop" glitch that occurs near the edge of platforms
*Added a couple more sounds in.

The only thing that needs major work at this point (in terms of content alone) is the sound and music, which my sound designer is working on—not me. Hopefully, development on this project doesn't extend beyond the early Spring.

ipe 369

Daaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyum. It's so pretty.

Looks like you put so much work into it, and it paid off! It has a great macabre feel to it, and the way you presented the choices(?) are great. If I had 1 piece of criticism to make, it's that he says 'rebellious fool' too much.

Carrill

Daaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyum. It's so pretty.

Looks like you put so much work into it, and it paid off! It has a great macabre feel to it, and the way you presented the choices(?) are great. If I had 1 piece of criticism to make, it's that he says 'rebellious fool' too much.

Haha! It's a random chance between him saying that and two other negative responses every time you disobey.