[Sample Game] Adventure Game

Jon

We're looking at bringing back a proper Adventure (Action RPG / Zelda) kit to the mix.

Prior attempts tried to make this too general and just blew up in scope. Reaching Finality showed me that a simple, Zelda-style game with certain simplifications could do very well and be a manageable job for us.

This kit will feature the following:

- Walk around several areas (Town, Field, Cave or Dungeon)
- Dialogs with signs / NPCs
- Character with sword weapon (and an alternate no weapon mode)
- Basic Enemies (slime - walks around randomly, octopus - walks around + shoots rocks)
- Health / Dying / Refill with heart pickups
- Treasure Chest containing "rupees"

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:08:25 pm by Jon »

2cson

like to see it happen soon.

irock

People hated the bats in my game. It might be better if they did something more interesting, like the keese in the first game.

Jon

Better yet, let's just leave that part out for now. It's already plenty of work as is. ;)

Jon

Any chance that you'd be able to take this on? (at a time when 3.0 is more ready for us, of course)

irock

I don't know. It would be hard for me to get motivated to work on something that's essentially a clone of a game I worked on nonstop for two weeks and am still burnt out on to this day. And I don't know how I'd make a dialog system.

Jon

We'll probably build a dialog system separately and hook it in. The new system does this kind of thing well.

Tuo

I'm having troubles finding my .stencyl file of it, so I uploaded what is done to the Forge (private, but I'm pretty sure you can see it anyways) just to see if it is on the correct track. The name is "Adventure Game".

EDIT: Found the "export game" option, so it's now also attached.

It's far from being done, just trying to see if it is at least on the correct thought process.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:36:24 pm by Tuo »
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Tuo

I'm kinda waiting to see if it is what you are looking for before advancing forward. Please also let me know if there are any particular sprites I should be using.

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Jon

My main concern is that you'll want to modularize the code by sticking in the common bits into behaviors. Since it all sits insides events right now, it'll be difficult to extend and duplicate what you have.

Tuo

Alright. I will see about transferring them to behaviors instead. Depending on how things shape up, I might have to just turn this into a "Demo-" game instead of a full kit. I re-read the initial post, and I don't think mine would have all of the aspects you want in it (and by the sounds of the list, you already have an idea you are thinking about).