How do I have a two-way RPG conversation?

Ericzander

Hey everyone, I tried figuring out the answer to this on the chat, but you can't really get or give really comprehensive answers there so I'll try here.

Basically what I want is for the game to start and right away, without having to move at all, I want a dialog box with text appear with a portrait of a female talking.  After pressing the action button to close out of it, I want another dialog box appear with a portrait of a male (the main character) talking. I want this to go back and forth. 

Pretty much all I have to do is press the action button to move the conversation along, and by the end of it i want my character to be able to move in the actual game (I don't want him able to move during the conversation if at all possible.)

I thought about making a cutscene like this, but I don't understand cutscenes really clearly.  I also thought of making a bunch of scenes, one scene with one dialog box, then another identical scene appear afterwards (after pressing the action button) with the only difference being a different text box talking.

So basically what I need to know is how i would go about this?  if I should go with my second option then is there a way for me to press a button, or click anywhere on the screen to move to the next scene?  All help would be greatly appreciated!     

gmvasco

In theory, you can go with your second option. Make all those dialog scenes with an actor that does not have the behavior to move. This however will lead to a cluttered scene manager in SW.

If I were you, I would go for option number one and download the cutscene example game and learn how it was built. You can play it here:
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/2051

Ericzander

Ok I'll look into the cutscene one, but incase it doesn't work out for me.  Do you know what kit I can get that will let me jump to the next scene at the push of a button?

Greg

You really only need 3 blocks for that -
1) IF block
2) control was pressed block (insert into if block)
3) switch scene block (in the body of the if block)