Thoughts on swearing in video games

PressXtoNotDie

Hey all, I am wondering what your thoughts are on swearing in video games, and I don't just mean random blindly placed swearing, I mean swearing where it fits, or it suits the character's personally etc. etc.

Why I am asking is because my current game I am creating, some swearing would fit the tone of the game, and otherwise would not make sense if it wasn't there.

What about using !@#$ to sensor the swearing? Does that break immersion?

Does having a warning at the beginning of the game justify the swearing?

What are your thoughts on this?

Blob

Nobody's bothered by swearing that's done tastefully/fittingly, but it diverts a product from being kid-friendly.

There's no point in censoring something you're in control of in the first place. Censoring is something done to others, you don't censor yourself, you just don't do it to begin with.

irock

Swearing in video games is fine. We're indie developers who don't have to answer to anyone (except Flash partners, if you try and get one). Do whatever you want.

magicpegasus

Please don't censor my art form. Apple, looking at you...

I'm not saying hentai games, I'm not not saying it, but the standard for apps in iTunes is different than movies and music, and it's unfair.

Stevetheipad

Please don't censor my art form. Apple, looking at you...

I'm not saying hentai games, I'm not not saying it, but the standard for apps in iTunes is different than movies and music, and it's unfair.
Apple allow minimal swearing, you simply have to warn the user about it before downloading.

Silux

WARNING:this post lacks of a mute button and features swearing.So don't read it loud at work.

you can swear as much as you want, as long as the game is enjoyable by the target audience.
Anyway warn user even about the littlest thing that could get them upset.If done well it could be a buttload more humorous^^

Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

Hectate

I think it's fair to provide at least a notice. I mean, if your game title has an expletive in it (poor taste, but such games exist) that's about as clear of a notice as possible. Outside of that, something in the game description like "Warning: Game contains adult language/humor/etc. Parental discretion advised." is just being courteous to your users and may actually prevent poor reviews from people who were turned off by it (and possibly increase sales, if people are interested in adult "stuff").
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

PressXtoNotDie

Yeah i was thinking the same thing with if you censored it, then there is no point in putting it in the first place.

Ok so it seems people are fine with it if it has taste, meaning, and has a warning at the start. Which seems pretty reasonable.

How flexible are sponsors toward this? What about big name sponsors?