Anyone willing to create a small project with me?

ipe 369

Right, i've done some cool camera stuff and the camera moves depending on your mouse position now, but i can't really do much more until one of you replies XD

PressXtoNotDie

Good work =)

Also what should the art be? I know its gonna be pixel art, but i mean should we have it directly on top, or have it like i have my art in 'Hopeless' a sort of side view top down thing. I tried some direct top down, but it doesnt look very good, i can't seem to get the hang of it, but the sideview topdown is easy for me. Which also mean that the behaviour that faces mouse, would be obsolete, and we could only have 4 facing directions (But still have freedom of movement in any direction)

What do you think?

Also wait for lazyboygames to reply to your inbox, I don't think he has started anything yet, but i don't know what he wants to do first. Have a talk to him and see what both of you can do

ipe 369

I see your point.  Even so, the camera one will work fine whatever, and it makes it look more professional. :D
Side view is good for me

PressXtoNotDie

I am going to still try and practice directly top-down view, it would probably look better, not to mention the programming and art will be easier, only having to draw 1 direction instead of 4.

Also have you got in contact with lazyboygames yet? Have you worked something out with the programming?

lazyboygames

yes...yes we have.

ipe 369

Anyone steals this you die.

PressXtoNotDie

That is an awesome start, keep up the good work =)

Also should we have armour for some enemies? like some weapons will be good VS enemies with armour, and vice versa.

Enemy has 5 armour, weapon has 3 penetration, 5 wepDamage,
if penetration <= armour:
newArmour = Armour - Penetration
damage = wepDamage - newArmour

damage would equal 3

This is just a quick example.

Then you could have the player choose from a number of weapons, either at load level time (They pick the weapons they want to use for the level, either through buying or something else) or on the fly depending on what they bought/have.

what are your thoughts?

ipe 369

Ja, i'll definitely add that. The behaviour i posted was just a very basic health behaviour. Me n lazy are working on ai, so we need health. I've got summit pretty cool planned for my sniper enemy :P

PressXtoNotDie

Alright so we need to decide on a theme so i can get to start the art properly.

Past, present, future

Zombies, Robots, inside-out people (Lmao)

(maybe all of the above + more?!)

What do we ultimately want the game to be.

any ideas you guys might have?

ipe 369

Robots. It'd be quite nice to have a town that you can walk around rpg style for 1 day to purchase equipment, then you're teleported to an alternate dimension to defend or something and if you're killed the robots break through and attack the town. :)

lazyboygames

How about instead of that, we do it like boxhead, and just build some maps? I find there is no need to tack on a story for a game like this.

ipe 369

Ah yes, i originally thought about the no need to add a story on, but the thing about making a flash game... it's like throwing a message in a bottle out into a sea... only the sea is made of messages in bottles, all the same, and the only reason our message is ever gonna get noticed is if we make it special.
I think that's what some people forget, just making a completely average space shooter isn't gonna get us noticed (No offense intended.)
I can't think of many games like this with a story, but i can easily think of games similar to this. Making a bog standard top down shooter is like suicide. Maybe it doesn't need a story, but we definitely need a gimmick of some sorts to make it special.

lazyboygames

... robots... we have robots.

But seriously if you want to think of a story then go for it. Just make it fit.

PressXtoNotDie

Robots it is!

Also we don't necessarily need a story for ipe's idea, we basically just give a small reason as to why the player is here doing what he is doing in the first place, and leave out any sort of story, and also if we go the 'infinite' waves/levels thing, then that is even easier since we wont really need an ending.

What about if we have the infinite thing, and make the whole game a "you are going to die, this is your story/ this is how you died" thing. We could have the town being over run as ipe suggested, and basically you would have to defend the town, to get back to the main game or whatever.

Depending on how well you defend the town, would decide how much 'Health' the town has left. We could possibly use this as a 'lives' system. Town blows up, game is over.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:15:35 am by PressXtoNotDie »

ipe 369