Anyone willing to create a small project with me?

PressXtoNotDie

Alright so I've done a little bit of work on the robots, i'm not sure if this is what you expected them to look like, so just give me a shout out if you guys want something different, maybe some examples/references, since these were just off the top of my head:

The bottom row is just a bigger version of the top row. The last two are the same, except the bottom/feet are a bit different, I can't decide which one looks better.

Also how many different types of robots/enemies should we have?

ipe 369

YES! That's brilliantly perfect! you've hit the nail on the head

lazyboygames

Nice! Those look really good. As far as animating goes I need the big one to look like it is slamming on the ground. The other robot I am doing is the weakest one which sort of just scurries on the ground. If I were to compare it to what it looks like look up the bacteriophage virus. At least that is how I imagine it in my head.

For the amount of robots, I believe ipe and I have thought up 4 classes to start. The big bulky one which you have already made, a weak grunt like one which I described, a sniping one, and the 4th just spins around in random directions like a tornado. 

Also on the idea of the town, why don't we just have the player defending themselves?

I also  have a change on how we should set things up. It seems as if ipe 369 is doing much more coding then me since I honestly don't have much time, so I think we should compile on his computer. It would be easier.

PressXtoNotDie

Thanks!

Also what exactly do you mean by slamming on the ground? Like it jumps up in the air, than slams it's whole body/lands on the ground, causing a shock-wave, or tremor of some sorts? or something else entirely?

Hmm... ok so the town idea we should throw it away in favour of something a bit simpler like just trying to stay alive? Also is it going to consist of a set number of levels and waves, or just infinite waves till you die?

I had a go at the spinning one, but it just looks like blades spinning around, not sure if this is what you guys had in mind, I can try something else if this doesn't fit.

Also if you tween it in stencyl and make it spin around, you'll see what it looks like spinning.

And yeah we could compile it on ipe's computer, i guess at this point it doesn't matter much though

ipe 369

Aha, i'm doing much less coding than yourself funnily, hadnt had any time D:

MyChairHasALooIn

Your doing a survival/topdown shooter game, it has robots and no concrete plot?

What is the player? A dude(ette)? A robot? A unicorn?

How complex is the game environment? Is there cover? Environmental hazards? Is the play area walled or can you just not wander off screen? Is there more than one?

How is the player armed? Does he have an inventory of weapons? Does he pick up on the go (limited ammo powerups)? Can weapons be upgraded? Are they represented graphically in game?

The sooner you can answer questions like these the less time you will have to spend going back and redoing stuff later.

ipe 369

Chill, we're working on the game engine atm. robots.

lazyboygames

Your doing a survival/topdown shooter game, it has robots and no concrete plot?

What is the player? A dude(ette)? A robot? A unicorn?

How complex is the game environment? Is there cover? Environmental hazards? Is the play area walled or can you just not wander off screen? Is there more than one?

How is the player armed? Does he have an inventory of weapons? Does he pick up on the go (limited ammo powerups)? Can weapons be upgraded? Are they represented graphically in game?

The sooner you can answer questions like these the less time you will have to spend going back and redoing stuff later.

1. Player could be both a guy or girl. We might even give a choice!
2. I think there should be multiple maps. Each with walls set up in a way that give things a little bit more difficulty. We haven't discussed this yet.
3. Pick ups sound fine, but when you pick something up it is added to your inventory. I guess it should be represented graphically.
4. We really haven't been having to redo stuff.

lazyboygames

Thanks!

Also what exactly do you mean by slamming on the ground? Like it jumps up in the air, than slams it's whole body/lands on the ground, causing a shock-wave, or tremor of some sorts? or something else entirely?

Hmm... ok so the town idea we should throw it away in favour of something a bit simpler like just trying to stay alive? Also is it going to consist of a set number of levels and waves, or just infinite waves till you die?

I had a go at the spinning one, but it just looks like blades spinning around, not sure if this is what you guys had in mind, I can try something else if this doesn't fit.

Also if you tween it in stencyl and make it spin around, you'll see what it looks like spinning.

And yeah we could compile it on ipe's computer, i guess at this point it doesn't matter much though

Instead of making it like a blade you should just have it look like any other robot, and it walks into the area/map, and then have a separate spinning animation.

As for the big one slamming on the ground it is your call as to what you want it to look like. And yes it would be causing tremors. I just imagined it slamming its arms on the ground.

ipe 369

Good news, finished the sniper behaviour and bot 100% done. Are we still doing this? everyone's so quiet, i haven't done much either to be fair.

lazyboygames

of course we are. Calm yourself.

PressXtoNotDie

Yeah we are still doing this, It's just my exam week, so I am trying to focus on studying, and I will be free for a week or two next week, and then I can get started on the other enemies, and animations etc.

Also what about the terrain? like the floor/grass/buildings/walls etc. How are we going to do this? what will they look like? futuristic?

lazyboygames

There could be multiple different tiles for different maps. You could have a lab level, an arena with dusty ground, a city map, and anything else you could think of.

ipe 369

I am perfectly calm *jitter* .
Ah, exams, know what you mean, first year of gcse's here :(

PressXtoNotDie

Ok now that my exams are over, and I am all partied out (3 day bender... ergh) I have some time to get some of this work done. Maybe not today.. cause.. uhh..... oww my body lmao.

Also any progress been done by you two?