Passive leveling

ipe 369

Sup :)
Just been thinking, anyone ever come across a game with passive leveling? As in, it doesn't tell you you've leveled up, you just slowly get more powerful over time? I'm talking about an rpg game btw :P

ICLHStudios

Some games with skill leveling instead of experience based levels do this (I can't remember any names off the top of my head, but I KNOW I've played some), but most games alert the player since milestones progress bars like levels, stats, and skills are so effective in keeping the player satisfied with their past grinding and interested in doing more.

A lot of RPGs have hidden stats or don't alert the player to stat changes though, which is sort of halfway in between.
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

ipe 369

You have got a point... Also, if you had magic, how could you rope in learning new spells without directly telling the player?

NexusxAlpha

You have got a point... Also, if you had magic, how could you rope in learning new spells without directly telling the player?

Maybe spells would acctually change the main spell of it's type. As in say you had "fireball" and got 100 kills with it, the blast radius and damage of the spell would increase. The player would start to notice after a little while and I wouldn't mind seeing that in a game. I think it'd be quite nice. But I do still like customisation in games which would be tricky to work in with this tactic.

ipe 369

maybe you can go to a bookstore and read books to learn skills? And if you're not high enough stats a message pops up saying 'you fail to grasp the meaning of the book, even after reading' or something

GeoPro

Maybe you could have all spells availble from the start but players will have to work out how to use them, like in magika

Its not exactly leveling but you could give hints to say how to do them through those books you mentioned.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:13:06 am by GeoPro »

ipe 369

Yeah! That'd be good! Maybe by doing a certain combo, you discover you can cast a certain spell :D Then 'leveling' would increase the power