[WiP] ..::Adventure Cavern::..

Darkhog

This is my tribute to Hudson's Adventure Island. It isn't finished, lacks enemies, because I don't have graphics for them. It also lacks Choose an Egg screen (in my version this'll be Choose a Box) or power-ups which will be in final version.

Current version has only 4 levels which loops (after level 4 is level 1 again). Those levels are now easy but they won't be so easy after enemies will be in place. Some of them would also be changed a bit, because IMO some of them are too short (I just wanted to put it today, so made some levels).

Please play it here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/3679

P.S.: Don't complain about graphics. This game is NES-styled so it uses only NES palette and only 21 colors from it at once.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

tabletop

This game is actually really solid and polished, and fits right well into a NES library. My only complaint is that you shouldnt use sloped terrain unless it works properly.

Darkhog

Actually stairs on level 4 are... stairs, not slopes. I plan to add some slopes to game as original Adventure Island had them, but for now I am to lazy to make tiles for them. And believe me, when there will be slopes in game, they'll look like slopes, not like stairs.

Sorry for this clumsy post, but I am very tired (it almost 21/9PM in Poland and I am up from like 4AM, so really need sleep). Hope you'll understand what I mean.

Alexin

I think it's an excellent start. Good job!

A couple of things:

- Jumping feels slippery (increase Ground Slowdown?);
- The score is displayed almost in the middle of screen...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:44:22 am by Alexin »
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Darkhog

I'll consider changing jumping control, because it doesn't feel right for me too. Where is Air Slowdown? In Physics panel or in jumping behavior?

For score I don't know if I'll change that. In original AI either hunger or score were displayed in similar position.

Chris

This is a great start and much more polished then Fear of Eights! It needs work though, and I totally agree with Alexin that the HUD should be made smaller and in a better position. I realize the game you're giving tribute to had it in the center, but that's no excuse for a bad UI. Also I don't think any NES games were quite so... slippery. It's a preference but from judging from these jumps I'd rather have more responsive controls.

Also,
- The wings perspective looks... off. Especially when you turn around.
- The trees need some work.
- NES or not, there's no excuse for no idle animation! Hopefully you'll add one before this gets out of WIP.
- I could see the work that went into the title screen. Very nice. One thing: did you forget to make the music loop?
- The jumping sound lasts a little too long. Cut it down by around a half a second so it doesn't last so long every time you jump.
- I think tabletop's point is that if it looks like stairs/slopes, he should be able to climb them automatically without jumping.

Nice start so far!

dineyin

This game looks and sounds awesome, it really reminds me of the old Duck Tales games or the Adventure Island for the NES.

A few suggestions:
-I think the characters bounding box could be a bit smaller, there's some spaces between platforms where I feel like I should be able to jump to but the character is too wide to pass through
-I agree that the score (or hunger meter) is really taking up too much screen real estate, I think it would look better if you pushed it up a bit or just put it at the bottom of the screen.
-I also agree that it would be nice if the character climbed the small stairs automatically (i.e. make them into slopes even if they look like stairs). It would make the movement feel a lot more fluid and fun.

Looking forward to playing this when there's some enemies in it

Darkhog

- The wings perspective looks... off. Especially when you turn around.

Yeah, I know. I'm not good at spriting, and if I'd ask for one, I'd wait like... forever?
- The trees need some work.
I know that too, see above for reason.
- NES or not, there's no excuse for no idle animation! Hopefully you'll add one before this gets out of WIP.
Original Adventure Island didn't had one, and this won't too. I want to make it as similar to AI as possible.
- I could see the work that went into the title screen. Very nice. One thing: did you forget to make the music loop?
No, I didn't ;). When it'll be done, after music finished playing plus 2-4 seconds there'll be "demo" like in old games
- The jumping sound lasts a little too long. Cut it down by around a half a second so it doesn't last so long every time you jump.
I'll consider this.
- I think tabletop's point is that if it looks like stairs/slopes, he should be able to climb them automatically without jumping.
Hm... I see it now. I'll try to add some invisible slope tiles to achieve it.

Nice start so far!

Thanks!

-I think the characters bounding box could be a bit smaller, there's some spaces between platforms where I feel like I should be able to jump to but the character is too wide to pass through

Yeah, I know that. This definitely need fixing.
-I agree that the score (or hunger meter) is really taking up too much screen real estate, I think it would look better if you pushed it up a bit or just put it at the bottom of the screen.
I'll try to push it up a bit, but don't know if it'll look right (on bottom this definitely won't look right, believe me, I tried)
-I also agree that it would be nice if the character climbed the small stairs automatically (i.e. make them into slopes even if they look like stairs). It would make the movement feel a lot more fluid and fun.
Yeah, as I said, I'll try to make it.

Looking forward to playing this when there's some enemies in it

Thanks, but I still don't have graphics for them.

Darkhog

I'll now take care of slopes, then I'll start making and coding things related to "Choose a Box" screen. And must fix (or rather do, because it isn't done yet) game over part, because now you can have -8 lives and still play.

Silux

Since the main character is a dragon, it would be funny to have it flying, maybe under certain conditions!

Go on!:D
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

Darkhog

Actually he can jump so high because of wings (they aren't suitable for real flight, but can give enough lift for high jump).

sonicspeed53

This Is Really Fun! I Like The Nes Graphics!

Darkhog

Thanks! I made tileset myself and character (but someone else animated it).

//edit: Fruits were made by friend.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:44:14 pm by Darkhog »

carroll6

Good work D.H.  It is very polished. 

Darkhog