[WiP] ..::Adventure Cavern::..

Darkhog

New version

Added:
- Possibility to walk on 1 tile height stairs a.k.a slopes (they're not actual slopes since I dont have graphics for them yet)
- Snails (enemies). Even I didn't change level layout, there are now enemies which make them a bit of challenge (all things will be balanced later with powerups, now I need to think how I'll realize them technically)
- Game Over screen. No more -50 lives!

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

dineyin

Have you actually uploaded the new version? I just tried it and it looks like it's still the old one online. I was hoping to see the snail in action   :(

Darkhog

Sorry, for some reason uploaded as new (probably wrong click). It will be up in a moment. One more time - sorry.

irock

Your graphics need work, and not because you're trying to limit yourself to the restrictions of the NES. NES games are fully capable of looking gorgeous:

Click for larger version

I think a big problem is, a lot of your graphics are monotonous in terms of color. For example, your dragon player sprite uses two shades of red of a similar hue and saturation. This is what causes it to look monotonous. There's barely any contrast between the colors.

I personally think the image above looks much better. Firstly, I removed its odd shading. NES sprites (not tiles) rarely used shading because of the color limitations of the system. Color slots can be better spent on more important things that make the sprite not look so monotonous, like defining the dragon's front torso with a different color, since dragons tend to have differently colored torsos. Secondly, I replaced the lighter reddish color with a sandy orange from the NES palette. There's better contrast within the sprites because the color I chose has a less similar hue and less saturation.

Another issue is, your dithering technique is really strange and seemingly random. It doesn't look so much like dithering as it does randomly placed pixels.

The shading itself is really wonky. For a lot of things, the shading doesn't make sense, like on the title screen text and the dirt in the first level. One of the trees looks like a piece of paper while another one that's right next to it has way too much depth and looks like it's made out of metal.

And, the shape of most things is very odd.

I think the best graphics in the game are these grass and dirt tiles and the snail, though the grass and dirt tiles aren't without their share of issues.

I'm not going to say too much on gameplay since I assume it's not final, but your character slows down way too slowly, both on the ground and in the air. The snail also needs some behavior other than sitting there.

There are also other various issues like the dragon becoming shorter at the end of the level as he enters the cave, the HUD drawing behind snails and part of the cave's background floating on top of the player.

Anyway, I think it's better than your other game. Keep practicing!

Darkhog

For drawing HUD behind snails, I know about that and working on solution. And dragon doesn't become shorter, he just duck and slide gracefully to end.  About part of cove's background floating on top of player, I tried to achieve effect like in original AI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF3Drr413Pw&feature=related and jump to 0:52 to see what I mean). About slowing down I know it is b ad and working on solution too. Maybe it'll be available soon.

irock

When I talk about part of the background being in front of the dragon, I'm talking about the black part that should be behind the dragon, not the cave part that should be in front of him.

Do you see that wall of blackness that's on top of the dragon? That doesn't happen in Adventure Island.

Regarding him ducking, it doesn't look like he's ducking. It looks like he's getting shorter.

Darkhog

Just take close look at his legs, which are folded. And it looks as it looks because I am too lazy to change tileset for that (but will make it for final release)

Darkhog

New version:

- Made controls more responsible (slippery behavior will return in ice stages)
- Moved score and hunger bar upwards
- Fixed hungerbar under things bug.

Play now!

Darkhog

New version.
Changelog:

- Choose a Box screen
- You aren't defenseless anymore
- Fixed cave entrance
- New level*
- You will enjoy old levels again.

*Why only one? Because next will be boss stage and since I don't know what this boss will do, I didn't make it yet. Also next version is supposed to have intro, but without green dino it won't happen anytime soon.

Alexin

Isn't that a strawberry before the first jump? Touching it causes damage.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Darkhog

Not strawberry. Hint: Look carefully at ground.

Alexin

I see there's a spike there now.

We should hear a sound effect when we catch a fruit.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Darkhog

Yeah, working on it. I'll release new version with sounds for level up, collecting and killing enemies + dead animations.

Darkhog

New bugfix version.

Added:
- Dead animations for both player and enemies, but not for boulders (click here to see why)
- Death sounds for enemies (not always work, but I think I'll find way to fix them)

Fixed:
- Choose a Box screen (moved boxes away from eachother so you'll be always sure that you choosed one you wanted to)
- If we get strongest flame (gold) taking down boulder will take us only one shoot (before: ~3), with second strongest (green) - two shoots (before: ??? ).

1up/dead sounds will be added when I'll have those.

choas81

9.99/10 no one is perfect

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 03:19:56 pm by Hectate »