New tutorial - Getting attributes from other actors

Innes

After a bit of a hiatus, I have added another tutorial to www.TheStencylBlog.com

It explains how to retrieve an attribute value from other actors (for example, getting damage value from an enemy).

http://www.thestencylblog.com/2012/09/18/getting-other-actors-attributes-stencyl/

Feedback welcome as always.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

Vektro

I'm reading your blog and im finding it great. Thank you for taking the time posting this much needed information ^^. I am soon going to upgrade to stencyl studio because asking questions here as a no paid member doesnt get any answers xD.

Could i ask you a question about something i have in mind? I think it would also make a great tutorial for your website since its a genre of game lots of people want to make. The infamous endless runner. I'm having a minor problem i just cant get to solve. If you find the time i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for reading this,
Learner :)
Above all, try something.

marcwilhelm

Nice tutorial! Thank you very much! Now I can stop using Global Game Attributes for everything communicated between actors :P

rob1221

You can also use custom blocks to change attributes in other actors.  I use them in events rather than make a separate behavior just to use the Attribute blocks.  If you're doing something more complicated like setting an attribute based on the values of other attributes, you'll want to use custom blocks.  For example if you want to deal damage to an enemy that has an Armor attribute and a Health attribute, a custom block set up on the other actor may be better than using two Attribute blocks.

stoneyftw

rob,

can you make a tutorial on this?

rahulmartin

rob,

can you make a tutorial on this?
yeah i am not good with custom blocks too , never get them work correctly... is there a tutorial how to use them?

rob1221

rahulmartin

yeah skipped that one, XD thnx reminding