XML parser for Ogmo Level Editor

Hello (first post yay!).

I've been having a lot of fun with Stencyl the last few days, but I've stumbled into a showstopper for collaborative projects, that is the lack of a XML parsing module to allow my collaborators to do Level Design without having to stop development and lend them the File.

Allowing them to do level design in Ogmo, would allow us to work using Dropbox or any other tool to sync files (and i would get to see their levels being developed in real time).

For those who are not familiar with Ogmo, here is a link:
http://mattmakesgames.com/OgmoEditor/

I don't even care for paths and nodes, I only need the tile placement information, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Welcome to Stencyl!

Using the custom workspace feature, you can keep your Stencyl games in sync on multiple computers via Dropbox. You can't do simultaneously editing that way, but I don't see how Ogmo Editor allows you to do that either. We store Scenes as XML files as well.

Welcome to Stencyl!

Thanks, glad to be here  :)

Using the custom workspace feature, you can keep your Stencyl games in sync on multiple computers via Dropbox.

Will look into that  ;)

You can't do simultaneously editing that way, but I don't see how Ogmo Editor allows you to do that either.

I failed to explain myself properly (english is my second language, so sorry for any miscomunication).

(In theory) Storing scenes as a separate XML would allow me to create a Scene Behavior that could use the When created block to parse this external XML when i pressed the Test Game button. That way we would be working on separate files simultaneously, not the same file simultaneously (ala google docs)

(Later) That would allow me to load scene "chunks" during runtime. That way I could create a endless procedural level using those "chunks", but I'm getting ahead of myself  :P

But now that I'm inspecting the folder structure (Earlier I had not found the folder where the scenes are stored), I think it would be more plausible, for the time being, to use an external editor, and configure it to export tilemaps using Stencyl's structure.

*Ok I noticed that there is some information that is not stored on the scene *.xml, but in the *.scn file (the tileset used, nothing serious so it seems). But for my purposes it's still better to be able to load the XML during runtime.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:02:27 pm by Felipe Budinich »

Alexin

An extension fits perfectly this request.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

An extension fits perfectly this request.

Which one if you don't mind me asking? I've been using the Stencylforge's and the Forum's search function but I can't seem to find it.

The closest thing I seem to find is this:
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,1148.msg9428.html#msg9428

Wich gives me some hope as I may be able to create the stage using actors instead of tiles.

Joe

Actually, Alexin means that this would be a good idea for an extension. (So one doesn't exist yet.)

In the mean time, you can certainly use Actors, but since it sounds like you can code, you'd probably have better luck creating Scenes programmatically using the Tile API.

niccosw

The XML behavior I posted is more a test of functionality than anything else. You would have to modify the code yourself to get it to do anything.

I just wanted to prove to myself and others that reading an XML file is possible in Stencyl. I was evaluating the engine and that was one of my base requirements (along with external image loading and video streaming). It can do all those, so I'm moving forward.

In the future I may expand upon the XML behavior, but I'm busy working on my game and handling other features. I may end up working on it soon though as I'd like to have some of my behaviors abstracted from the game, just like you. I'll post again if I come up with something new. Sorry I can't be more helpful right now.