[Solved] Detecting Player in Multiple, Sometimes Overlapping "Light" Areas

tristonhopkins

Figured I should post my completed behavior using the help from Hectate and captaincomic!

It's a kind of sad funny when I think about how much more complicated my behavior looked when it didn't work.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:58:39 pm by tristonhopkins »

ipe 369

it's because drawing light doesn't work. you have to draw the darkness... that's what i thought anyway XD This works pretty well! :D

tristonhopkins

it's because drawing light doesn't work. you have to draw the darkness... that's what i thought anyway XD This works pretty well! :D
Yeah, I was shocked myself as well.  I couldn't find anyone else doing it this way.. not with Stencyl at least.  Glad it was of use to you! :D

ipe 369

yah! Unfortunately it doesn't use shadows :( but i'll figure that out later ;)

tristonhopkins

yah! Unfortunately it doesn't use shadows :( but i'll figure that out later ;)

Do you mean like drawing a shadow behind the actor the light is cast upon?  I was thinking of devising something for that.  Using the two behaviors shown in this topic in conjunction I think you could tell Stencyl where to draw a shadow actor.  Actually, I'm going to go try that right now.  :o

ipe 369

problem is if you don't draw ALL the darkness like that the shadows will look darker than the ambience. Plus you can hardly get any contrast because you can't get any darker :/

captaincomic

I have to agree that game looks very promising. :)

rob1221

This isn't related to your question, but new blocks in 3.0 for blend modes will allow you to have multiple lights overlapping, even with non-transparent images.

http://www.fastswf.com/wzdb4PA

tristonhopkins

This isn't related to your question, but new blocks in 3.0 for blend modes will allow you to have multiple lights overlapping, even with non-transparent images.

http://www.fastswf.com/wzdb4PA
*drools*
3.0 can't come soon enough.  Thanks for showing me this.

Hectate

Demake of Thief? Count me in!

Oh, and glad to help!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

tristonhopkins

Demake of Thief?
Heh, I was wondering if anyone would notice.  ;)