[FUTURE] Break up animations into individual files [Jon]

Almakos

When I test in flash or browser everything is fine, however on iPad and android I get some actors as white squares (some of them change size, like animate vertical scale).
Those actors have lots of frames in animations. So the only thing I can think of is that they don't fit in atlas, but this should not be an issue in 3rd version.

This game I made in Stencyl 2.1 and now trying to port to iPad.
I've attached a log I believe.

Would be amazing if someone could take a look.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:39:43 pm by Jon »
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Jon

White sprites are placeholders for when you use graphics that are in atlases that are not loaded or were unloaded.

Check your atlases page to see if any of the atlases are marked as not initially loading.

Duplicates
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,15389.0.html
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,14820.new.html#new

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:48:08 pm by Jon »

Almakos

All atlases have checkbox to load initially and all my graphics were set to be in main default atlas..

I've moved one actor to another atlas and disabled initial load for it. What I've got is tiny white sprite =)
but before those were big white sprites...

I've attached screenshot with different white sprites.

Everything is fine in flash player

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:32:54 am by Almakos »
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

GraveYardShift

I'm having the same issue and just submitted a post. I think it has to do with the number of frames in the animation...looks like the sprites don't render properly if there are more than 10-15 frames.

Almakos

it is not the number I think (because I have animations with more than 15 frames that render correctly).
I suspect that it happens if all actor frames take more than 1024 x 1024 space.
at least in version 2.2 those actors which render white now were not fitting into a single atlas and that is what stopped me at that time. I have heard that atlas size is not the issue in version 3, but seems it is not very true at the moment.
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

GraveYardShift

That makes more sense. My test animation works on the iOS simulator (non-retina) where I believe smaller graphics are used. The test fails when using the Retina iOS simulator.

Almakos

I have removed some frames and now my sprites look ok (but animation looks worse), so there is atlas size limit, which is not stated anywhere and gives no warning if reached.
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Jon

There's no such thing as an atlas size limit because no atlases are actually generated.

I think you are confusing this with the fact that animations are written out to 1 image (versus N images), and Flash and any hardware derive will have limits on how big that can be.

Almakos

OK, so is there any way to get single animation stored on several images? Because I have no idea what to do then....
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Jon

I'd need to alter a good portion of the engine and editor to do that. Probably not for 3.0 - given how much work there still is to go.

Jon

Don't think we can put this into 3.0, but it will be considered for the future when we do a number of other changes to the file format to break up the monolithic files (like resources.xml) into smaller bits to prevent catastrophic data loss and turn what would be a catastrophe for one, into a loss of just a resource or two at worst.

Almakos

Do I understand it correct, that each animation has it's separate image? As opposed to all actor's animations are stored on a single image?
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

FortySe7en

You'll need to split an animation into 2 animations or reduce size/frame count.
I know that's a work around and not a solution, but still, might help

Almakos

good thing that limit is per animation, not per actor.
bad thing is that each device has its own limit...so if for one 1024x1024 is ok, for another that is 512x512.
Fishing Fantasy Trailer

Jon

What device has a limit of just 512x512?

Animations will get a complete revamp sometime in the 3.x range. I underestimated the use case of "abusing" the animation feature to store clips of large video-like animations. A bunch of things which are now limitations stem from the original use cases - I was thinking mainly of SNES-style graphics like these when I originally designed this, heh.

http://spriters-resource.com/snes/smetroid/sheet/31614

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:37:46 pm by Jon »