2012 US Presidential Election

Stevetheipad

Who would you or are you voting for? Why?

Whatever you say is pointless without sources and reasoning.

Hectate

Whatever you say is pointless without sources and reasoning.
*needs citation
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

lazyboygames

I am 17, so I miss being able to vote by a year  :'(

If I could Obama.

irock

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson.

Obama and Romney are both backed by the same giant banks and corporations, are pro-war, want to increase spending, support the patriot act, support the section of the 2012 NDAA that allows US citizens to be indefinitely imprisoned by the military without due process or access to a lawyer, support assassinating US citizens, support the war on drugs, support bailouts, support the inflation of the dollar, et cetera, et cetera.

The republican and democratic candidates are part of the problem, not the solution. I couldn't sleep at night if I were to vote for either one of those horrible fucking people.

Justin

How do you sleep at night knowing that one of the two will probably get elected? ._.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Blob

obama because i hate republicans they hate gay people and believe in god

(Gary Johnson)

twotimingpete

I'd rather not start knowing the political ideas of people here for fear that I'll have to start thinknig certain people here are assholes. :)

I'll just say this. Regardless of what your opinion is on what tax policy is best for all (trickle down, trickle out, trickle pickle) I could never vote for a party that has many of its members so bigoted against gay people and have as a party platform (their official party platform, http://www.scribd.com/doc/104221532/2012-Gop-Platform) to oppose abortion in every form regardless of rape or incest. They believe that if you are a woman and you are raped, that small government should swoop in and force you to carry your attacker's baby to term or go to jail.

They have house members on the science and technology committee who believes things such as "evolution is a lie from the pit of hell, the earth is 9,000 years old" http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-calls-evolution-lie-pit-hell-175514039.html and "if it's a legitimate rape, the woman's body will shut that down". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Akin

Science. Committee. Should send a chill down your spine.

I could never sign on with a member of such a party regardless of almost any other factor. Some of you unsurprisingly seem disgusted with the parties in general and find them both distasteful. That's fair, but I would submit that one evil is *clearly* greater than the other. This stuff matters. Romney wants to increase military spending by over two trillion dollars. http://www.cnas.org/defense-spending-to-spike-$2.1-trillion-under-romney Why increase it? We already spend more than double what the next five biggest military spending countries in teh world combined spend. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/06/defense-spending-fact-of-the-day_n_1746685.html The cold war is over. We can't afford stuff like this.

As a spare thought, the interesting/scary/bizarre (depending on your point of view) thing about Romney is I honestly don't really know what he believes. He could be a severe conservative or he could be a progressive, moderate centrist. He has spoken the language of both in recent history. He changes opinions so quickly and so radically moment to moment on so many issues that I find it -- sort of awesome. And as a thinking person I genuinely don't know what he believes, and that's fascinating. I suspect what he believes in most is ambition and everything else is secondary.

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson.

So you're voting for Obama. Sorta. Because there are precisely two candidates with a chance of winning. Most people who vote for Gary Johnson would otherwise have voted for Romney. AKA a half-vote for Obama.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:15:35 am by twotimingpete »

irock

Most people who vote for Gary Johnson would otherwise have voted for Romney. AKA a half-vote for Obama.
Yeah, all of us anti war, pro choice, pro marijuana legalization, pro gay marriage, anti corporatism people sure would have voted for Romney had Gary Johnson not been in the race, right?

No. I stick to my principles. And unlike you, I don't sheepishly vote for The Party while letting the establishment convince me that I'm actually making a choice. If more people had the testicular fortitude to act like individuals, we wouldn't be in the growing mess we're in now, our freedoms wouldn't progressively be taken away and we wouldn't be paying for the the murder of countless people overseas.

twotimingpete

Seems to be pretty consensus that libertarian voters are more republican-like than democrat-like. I think if you looked around at your fellow Gary Johnson supporters you'd see a lot of white trash bible thumping tea party dummies. I'd just as well not coordinate or associate with these people.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/10/15/republicans_worry_about_gary_johnson.html

The city you live in, the roads you drive on, the police you rely upon to keep people from raping you and stealing your shit, the ER you could end up in one day -- This stuff exists because of government. Like it or not, for all of its problems, government *does* do things that affect lives, and which of the two actual candidates who can win, does win, does matter. Washing your hands of it and not taking part in the actual choice doesn't make you any better than anyone else, and for as much as you tell yourself that you're not being a sheep, what you're doing is silencing yourself. A nutbag like gary johnson will never win. A wish or a prayer never changed a policy, and a vote cast for this guy is just that.

If you want to act like you're not a sheep and you're going to do something about it, voting for a hopeless candidate is a pretty neutered way of going about it. Go physically protest somewhere or engage in some soft domestic terrorism if you want to be taken seriously on that front. In the mean time it's just toke-fueled hot air.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:27:37 am by twotimingpete »

marcumgames

This website, is for game developers not politicians WHY JON DID YOU EVER MAKE A PLACE ON HERE FOR OTHER NON GAME RELATED CONVERSATIONS!!! I hate politics!
I own Marcum Games

spoogob

Because like all forums, it is nice to have a non-related area for people to talk about things. This is also a very important subject to many people.

I would guess if it really bothered you, just avoid this section or subject and simply don't look or post. :)

twotimingpete

I forgot to mention, republicans also have "personhood" as part of their platform, granting an unborn child, from the *moment* of conception, full legal rights as an american citizen. http://www.womenarewatching.org/issue/personhood-measures

Abortion would be outlawed in every scenario, in vitro fertilization would be outlawed, and, astonishingly,  most forms of birth control would become tantamount to murder. I'm not making this stuff up. This is what party leaders want. I don't know who could identify with this political party. I suspect many people who do don't actually realize what the party platform is and what most of its leaders want, and that if the current republican house could set law by itself, our country would most likely become a theocracy existing in the stone ages.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:20:13 am by twotimingpete »

Hectate

Washing your hands of it and not taking part in the actual choice doesn't make you any better than anyone else, and for as much as you tell yourself that you're not being a sheep, what you're doing is silencing yourself.
My political beliefs aside, I have to say that I disagree with you that Irock's actions would be "not taking part in the actual choice" or even "silencing yourself". In fact, if he were to take your suggestion and just put in a "whole vote" for one major party candidate or the other, I believe that would be silencing his vote in the worst possible way - by artificially strengthening the position of the majority parties. If they're not meeting the population's needs then they need to see their support erode from underneath them. If they don't make efforts to ensure they appeal to their constituents, they might find themselves fractured apart like the Whig Party.

Here's the thing, real change is slow to happen. There's not going to be a day when everyone in the country wakes up and goes "Wow, we're never going to vote for our party again!" It takes time to build up the momentum, to have a solid, regular foundation of members. That happens by people voting for what they believe is the right choice, not just the best of two options.

As of the 2010 census, an entire 24.6% of the population was under the legal voting age of 18 (source: http://www.census.gov/population/age/data/2010comp.html ). If a party were to spend just 18 years (only 4.5 presidential terms!) successfully attracting the attention of newly eligible voters they would already be halfway to the point of being a majority party. If enough youth are dissatisfied with the current two-party options, that might not be as outlandish of a statement as it first sounds...
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.