2012 US Presidential Election

Stevetheipad

In my opinion, if you're educated about the candidates and things, you should always vote! I can see situations where a voter doesn't like either of the major candidates but at least help in deciding a better president. Even if there's only one thing you stand with Obama or Romney with (or any candidates in the future0) then vote for that one person.
I actually think it's best to not vote/nullify your vote (don't know the right term in english) than voting for someone you don't fully support, in the same way for the "vote on the candidate with less chance" situation. I think it's all a matter of being heard, sending a message, instead of voting for the "smaller evil".

If the majority voted for the candidate that they fully agree, or didn't vote because they don't think the candidates are worth their vote, surely the situation would be different in a lot of places. The vote is a powerful weapon, I don't know if most people realise this.

Here in Brazil, the elections are a joke: the candidates abuse on the poor people by buying their votes (literaly, with money), the political platforms of most politicians focus on helping the poor with social wellfare plans (thus getting the support of the masses), when a lot of people know that we need a huge investment on education to improve our country. And there's a massive case of corruption among the members of the congress, it's disgusting. I'm not much into politics, but from what my parents talk about, here in Brazil they pointed only two politicians worth supporting, and one of them never made to presidency.
I disagree. If you (virtually) know one of those two candidates will win, why would you not want the one that is more in line with your thoughts/beliefs to be elected?

Luyren

I disagree. If you (virtually) know one of those two candidates will win, why would you not want the one that is more in line with your thoughts/beliefs to be elected?
I have no arguments against that. I usually follow what I think is right, and voting for some one I don't fully support isn't the right thing to me. Let's agree to disagree, I guess?
I have my Stencyl resources available here: https://luyren.itch.io/

rob1221

A vote isn't a bet.  You don't win a special prize if you happen to pick the winner.  Voting for someone just because that candidate is more likely to win is just an appeal to popular opinion.  If you vote for a candidate just because a lot of other people are voting for that candidate, then why bother voting in the first place?

Speaking of bets, 64.7% of people on Intrade betting on the election are for Obama, and 35.2% for Romney.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:34:23 pm by rob1221 »

MyChairHasALooIn

If everyone who thinks voting for their preferred non-main runner candidate is a waste suddenly realised it's only a waste because of all the other people doing the same slightly retarded thing with their vote..... just imagine.

Hectate

If everyone who thinks voting for their preferred non-main runner candidate is a waste suddenly realised it's only a waste because of all the other people doing the same slightly retarded thing with their vote..... just imagine.
QFT
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

marcumgames

Because like all forums, it is nice to have a non-related area for people to talk about things. This is also a very important subject to many people.

I would guess if it really bothered you, just avoid this section or subject and simply don't look or post. :)
Thanks, I might try that!
I own Marcum Games

Stevetheipad

Results tomorrow. :o

SWATLLAMA

Does the Electoral College vote tomorrow as well, or is just the popular vote announced?
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Stevetheipad

Does the Electoral College vote tomorrow as well, or is just the popular vote announced?
Electoral College tomorrow as well, at least if there isn't a huge hold up or anything (like multiple states needing to recount each vote manually).

Depending on what time you go to bed, you'll either know tomorrow night or Wednesday morning.

Max Finch

obama because i hate republicans they hate gay people and believe in god

(Gary Johnson)

I find this offensive. I believe in God.

I really don't care anymore, I think this country is screwed either way.

Stevetheipad

Tuo

It's all but decided now. Obama has too much of a lead with California's electoral college. I did notice though that the current political map is wrong: Romney seems like he will win Ohio now, yet Ohio's 18 went to Obama... not that it matters with Obama's estimated 290.

... I guess I should just count my blessings that the presidential position is not overly powerful with the Republicans still holding the House. I do think Romney would have done a better job though.
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)