Dangerous Dungeons!

Alexin

On stage 5, the switch/lever draws over the spears near by. Looks awkward.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

AdventureIslands

I updated the demo, I made stage 2 easier and changed the position of lever in stage 5. I also made character's hitboxes smaller because I noticed they were way too huge. No wonder he keeps colliding to hazards so easily.

I also added a 6th stage that serves as "boss fight". Really, it's only about how well you can run away. I will change it if people find it too stupid.

Alexin, I noticed there is still the problem with the spikes hitting his head and now the same is with the new "boss", it can crash both game and browser, I can share the game if you can look up what's causing that Box2D.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 03:45:29 pm by AdventureIslands »

BFlorry

This game is really going to end up in popular if the quality keeps up. Who would have known that AI can do great graphics AND games? ;)

KungFuFurby

Main background music is indeed confirmed to be mine... though that death jingle isn't. As a matter of fact, just based off of the sound, I'm guessing Arrow-1. He did the music for Super Noni's Adventure... then disappeared before the game could be properly completed beyond the original set of levels.

Not bad! Your graphics give me some nostalgia, that's for sure... ^_^
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Epic428

I replayed this with the new update. I have to say this game is going to be really awesome to play when it is completed. Level 6 was very hard, not as hard as level 2 used to be, but I realized you need to preempt the level with the left key down and make no mistakes when moving or you are done.

Anyway great job on this!!
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

AdventureIslands

Heh, level 6 is supposed to be a boss so yeah, it can be a bit challenging. Though I think the only hard part in it is to realize you need to start running right away, the stage layout itself is quite simple.

I just wish I could figure out what causes the game to sometimes freeze when the character gets a hit in the head. Sometimes when the spear traps and "the boss" hits him from upward the game freezes. I changed the HP system so that instead of them dealing damage to hero, they just instantly kill him, but it still keeps freezing so I guess the problem wasn't in the Inflict Damage behaviour.

Gonz

I just wish I could figure out what causes the game to sometimes freeze when the character gets a hit in the head. Sometimes when the spear traps and "the boss" hits him from upward the game freezes.

Just in case it might be helpful: I can certainly say that I've been hit by spears coming from all directions and it has never frozen on me.

Epic428

I agree I have never experienced freezing either, but I suggest when you do, you press   ~   to locate any errors.

Also, Just to back my earlier comment up, level 6 should be left the way it is, it is hard, but the challenge of it was so fun and it definitely is beatable.
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

AdventureIslands

I updated the demo with skipable intro cutscene and dying in chasms now plays death sound. There is also a secret way to access stage selection.

Glad to hear the freezing isn't very common, I've taken a screenshot of it, but I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:27:45 am by AdventureIslands »

Chris

I got stuck between the arrowhead and a wall and the game froze. I'm guessing the freezing you're talking about is from that?

Other then that I loved this demo (or what I played until it crashed!) A couple notes:
- The difficulty leap from L1 to L2 was jarring to say the least. I felt the difficulty ramped up a little too quickly in general as well.
- The Spears functioned well, but when it's almost completely in the ground does it really need to still be able to get you? I died multiple times by just being a hair off in my timing. Maybe it's just me.
- Graphics were amazing, the background music set the mood, and the sound effects made me want to hit a car with a sledgehammer. Hearing them outside of SNA just isn't fitting, and the death sound effect annoyed me worse then simply dieing. Are they placeholders?
- Adding to the last point, why does the music reset every time I die/pass the level? I don't think I've heard more then 30 seconds of it.

Other then my few gripes, I'm really very impressed with this demo. I'll take a crack at it again a little later.

AdventureIslands

I got stuck between the arrowhead and a wall and the game froze. I'm guessing the freezing you're talking about is from that?

Other then that I loved this demo (or what I played until it crashed!) A couple notes:
- The difficulty leap from L1 to L2 was jarring to say the least. I felt the difficulty ramped up a little too quickly in general as well.
- The Spears functioned well, but when it's almost completely in the ground does it really need to still be able to get you? I died multiple times by just being a hair off in my timing. Maybe it's just me.
- Graphics were amazing, the background music set the mood, and the sound effects made me want to hit a car with a sledgehammer. Hearing them outside of SNA just isn't fitting, and the death sound effect annoyed me worse then simply dieing. Are they placeholders?
- Adding to the last point, why does the music reset every time I die/pass the level? I don't think I've heard more then 30 seconds of it.

Other then my few gripes, I'm really very impressed with this demo. I'll take a crack at it again a little later.

Stage 2 is getting so many complaints that I am going to swap it with some easier level.

Spears get you because their top is still showing but it's behind the hole like thing that they are sticking out from so the spear top don't show. I will probably have to remove those so the spears show all the time.

I'm planning to change the sounds when I figure out where to download free retro game like sounds or how to make them myself. Or I have to ask someone to make them for the game.

The song replays in the beginning because the whole song is pretty much that, short, calm and quiet. There isn't much difference with if it keeps playing on or not.

I keep adding new features and stages but unfortunately I have no idea how to fix the crashing bug or what is causing it, it happens if spears or sawblades hit the character from top. Bug in the physics engine? the debug mode says something about Box2D. Rest is cipherish to me

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:02:13 pm by AdventureIslands »

Chris

I'm planning to change the sounds when I figure out where to download free retro game like sounds or how to make them myself. Or I have to ask someone to make them for the game.
Try this out.

The song replays in the beginning because the whole song is pretty much that, short, calm and quiet. There isn't much difference with if it keeps playing on or not.
That's a valid reason, but it still bugs me whenever I have to hear the music start at the beginning again.

AdventureIslands

It's was supposed to be a secret, but you can access the stage selection by clicking the door in the start menu.

E: I just went ahead and added the stage select button to the main menu.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:01:55 pm by AdventureIslands »

KungFuFurby

I actually know why myself. This is because I can't even remotely try to make a song that does not loop at the start without running into all sorts of timing issues... and I haven't found some sort of good way to remove that timing problem either.

Oh, and also: there's a good reason why these pieces of music are so short. Otherwise the game itself would be monstrous... in memory! And that's not just this game: it would be any other game I make these huge tunes for.

You know, I could actually compose some custom-made music for you if you want. ^_^
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

AdventureIslands

I don't mind the songs being short, I think your platformer secret and boss song fit my game very well how they are! I don't really need new songs at this point, maybe later to the final boss and credits.

But if you can make sound effects I would really appreciate a new, less annoying death theme.