Field Input [IDEA]

Stevetheipad

There needs to be an extension that adds field input to where you can choose to add a text box (and customize it's size and location) which displays the text you type in on your keyboard or iOS keyboard.

This is a really big deal for games!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:57:50 am by Jon »

Stevetheipad

Will be really disappointing if the Stencyl team nor a developer makes an extension of this. :(

Leaufai

I believe there was talk of calling up the iOS keyboard using a block.

Stevetheipad

I believe there was talk of calling up the iOS keyboard using a block.
Not just talk, it's going to be in 3.0. However, it only get's input, it doesn't show the text you type; that's what I'm suggesting.

Dom818

I was trying to make a behavior to control getting the text and display it but there are a ton of keys and accent marks on the keyboard. It makes it very tedious to make a full keyboard behavior. There has to be a better way.

Jon, do you know a better way of using the keyboard in a behavior?

Jon

NME provides text fields - maybe this will help.
http://www.haxenme.org/documentation/examples/tutorials/textfields/

My hands are very much tied right now and I'm not sure when this will happen. There's still a fair amount of top-of-the-sheet stuff that isn't done yet.

Stevetheipad

NME provides text fields - maybe this will help.
http://www.haxenme.org/documentation/examples/tutorials/textfields/

My hands are very much tied right now and I'm not sure when this will happen. There's still a fair amount of top-of-the-sheet stuff that isn't done yet.
I don't care who makes it but I expect this to be pre-made for me after purchasing Studio.

coleislazy

I'm sure support will be added for this at some point, just maybe not for 3.0.

I don't think you should demand that someone does this for you, since this was certainly not a supported feature when you made your purchase.

Stevetheipad

I don't think you should demand that someone does this for you, since this was certainly not a supported feature when you made your purchase.
I'm not really demanding it, but I really want it and expect a full-fledged software company to provide good features. I simply think that it's reasonable to ask for a pretty simple feature that is really needed for lots of games/features.

So I'm not "demanding" it but I really hope the team dedicated a little time for it.

rob1221

You shouldn't expect anything beyond what has already been announced.  Captaincomic made a text box for 2.2, so maybe if you ask him (politely, unlike your last couple responses), he'll consider porting it over to 3.0.  Of course you always have the option of doing it yourself, which would significantly reduce your waiting time.

Stevetheipad

You shouldn't expect anything beyond what has already been announced.  Captaincomic made a text box for 2.2, so maybe if you ask him (politely, unlike your last couple responses), he'll consider porting it over to 3.0.  Of course you always have the option of doing it yourself, which would significantly reduce your waiting time.
I understand that now. Thank you.