Destiny Island - Work in Progress

jlsheriff

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Stencyl community and I would like to start off by saying hi.

"hi."

I have a game that I've been working on for a little bit that I call "Destiny Island."  It's an Action/Adventure/RPG where the fighting is all real time like gauntlet and diablo, and I plan to make it intense, very responsive, and clean executing so the battles are white knuckle crazy sometimes. 

It has everything you love in a game like this:
-Random Loot/Rare Loot
-Leveling up
-Variety of classes to play (I've made the Vampire, Minotaur, and Swordsman classes so far)
-Skill trees that add even more variety
-I would like to create a random island generator as well.  Instead of dungeons, you're alone on a string of islands.  Each island is connected by bridges, 100x100 tiles big, and I want multiple paths for you to explore a seemingly endless bunch of islands(levels).

The HUD that you see in the sample picture will have a minimap on the right, and your inventory/hp/mp/status, etc.

I've drawn everything in this game because I don't like using sprites off the internet.  The Ground/Wall tiles are very basic, as you can see, but I want that old school feel to it.  The doodads, player, enemies, and everything else is drawn in better detail, but still using 32x32 pixels.  Character animations for the vampire class are done so I can test things out.

I have a LOT of work to do, but I would love to hear some feedback of any sort about this. 

Since I'm new to Stencyl, I have a lot of logic to figure out, like whats the best way to have the player open treasure chests, and how to keep the walking animation from stopping while going diagonal.  But I have a good amount of experience in programming, so I'm sure it will work out in the end :P

Thanks for your time!
Destiny Island - Work In Progress http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/15851

Hectate

Sounds exciting! Interestingly, I've also been working recently on an procedural island generator recently. I'm looking forward to seeing your results!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gabrieldex

Looks like it's gunna be a fun game. Just keep working everyday and don't give up!  :D

jlsheriff

Thank you :)  Positive reinforcement is what this community seems to be about.   

Is there a better stencyl dictionary than the stencylpedia?  It seems to just give you hints, which is fine if you're trying to challenge yourself, but I'm trying to jump some hurdles here and I need FACTS.
Destiny Island - Work In Progress http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/15851

Hectate

Unfortunately not yet. I know that there are at least two long-form works (i.e. textbooks) in progress for Stencyl by third parties (as announced on these forums). There's also numerous tutorials and explanations in the forums and on blogs.

If there's something specific you need, just ask if you can't find it.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.