Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Tuo's 26 (+2) StencylForge "Demo-" Games & Chat (Updated: 05.21.2016)

Tuo

Seems like "Invasion From Below" is not a good enough demo for the Image API for some. I just finished a 2.5 hour livestream explaining (and refining my own code) to explain how to do use the Image API for multiple light sources. That video is saved in the recent videos area if anyone wants to see it.

Also (and the real reason why I'm posting this), I'm taking that code and adding in comments to upload it as my 25th real "Demo" in the StencylForge. I really wish the code was simpler. I had to do a special workaround to make a moving player work. I'll likely split it into two parts: one simple (no moving light sources) and one full (moving light sources). It may be as early as this weekend for getting up into the Forge as there isn't really that much code to comment (but explaining the main parts will be a bit of a challenge, as well as my workaround).

Stay tuned!
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Tuo

Okay, it's now up in the StencylForge: "Demo Light Sources with Image API". Each scene goes over a different idea:

The title scene explains how to make a "scratch off" effect (which is rather cool for how simple that part was), as well as my standard 'non-actor buttons', this time with images (much more complicated than I had hoped for, but oh well).

The first actual demo explains how I do multiple light sources when the game has light sources that move. The coding is pretty solid for flash games it seems (especially with smaller scenes), but for non-flash there seems to be some issues with lag and sometimes even crashing. Still, for flash, it's what I'd use.

The second demo explains a workaround I created for when the first option fails. It has some extra restrictions on it (such as only allowing it for the player actor and being careful with edge bounds), but the fact that there's no updating of the images once created means that lag is kept to a minimum, and it "should" work for non-flash games.

The third demo is the really basic one, focusing just on static light sources (no movement at all). It's contained in the other two demos, but I figured it'd help to see it on its own too.

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

Nathbo

Hello,

I wonder if you have something around a deck of cards
how to handle the 52 cards, randomize, distribute, check
pick up a card and throw it out
etc..

thanks
Visit my Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/NathboGames

Twitter
@NathboGames

Tuo

Nathbo, a lot of that coding can be found in my "Demo- Actorless Card Duel". Instead of 52 cards, it creates a pseudo-random deck of unit cards and then mixes it and distributes them. You can play the cards into the middle and have them attack each other (like a trading card game).

Tuo

It's not really a demo, but my new tutorial is now up on Kongregate (under Abigayl to keep it consistent). Since it's under judgment right now, I could really use some ratings (preferably positive ;) ).

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Abigayl/stencyl-3-1-tutorial-1

Tuo

Lately, I've been getting an influx of requests for my puzzle demo. It is one of my oldest demos (and thus not elegant in the coding), and it never got a proper 3.x overhaul. In fact, now with the Image API and the z-ordering options, the methods in the demo are basically obsolete. Thus, I have remade it from scratch today.

It will hopefully be up in the StencylForge somewhat soon. While the coding itself is done, there's going to be a lot of comments. Since I have had problems in the past (ironically with the original Jigsaw Puzzle demo) with updating my demos in the Forge, I won't be uploading it until I have the comments in place. Anyone who wants an advance copy can just PM me with your email, and I'll send it to you.

Please note that the "difficulty" of the demo is around the same as it was before. However, the entire process is now automated. No more manually splitting up the puzzle pieces. Now, it uses the Image API to do it (which also means that I could now include different difficulties for the puzzles themselves). Literally, the time it takes to add in another puzzle to do is just the time to graphically create the puzzle and add it to the menu ;).

todheil

Wow. Excellent news :-) Thank you Tuo for your generosity

Tuo

For those who want the pre-release non-commented version, it's attached below. Please note that this requires build 7721 or later (last night's as of the time of writing this) in order to have the necessary blocks. Anything older and it won't load.

Tuo

Okay, the demo has now been fully commented and is now up in the forge. Please note that for the demo to run, you NEED to have build 7721 or later (Justin added in the z-order code block for images in 7719 and fixed a bug in 7721).

The demo itself is a bit bogged down by the menu itself. I tried to make it "pretty", so the coding was a bit bleh. Heck, even making the grid for the pieces visible was a pain in the butt. The good news is that the code for the actual puzzle part is amazingly small. I'd say about 3/4 of the coding was just "bling" and only 1/4 was the puzzle. Furthermore, considering how small the demo is (only two real behaviors), that means the game part is really short.

One thing I never quite realized before making this demo was just how much an image instance really IS just a collision-less (and animation-less) actor. I'll likely be using them a LOT more in my own programming in the future. Also, of course being able to chop up an image in automated ways way pretty nifty too.

Anyways, "Demo Updated Puzzle" is now up in the Forge. Enjoy! :)

Tuo

It's been a while, but there's another addition. It's not technically a "demo" as I did not comment it (although I did a live commentary on it as I built it; see my Twitch URL in my sig for the video).

The program demonstrates four ways to do grid-based movement, starting off with a simple snapping behavior and ending with how to do natural movement in it; there are four levels of difficulty in total in the one program: "Grid Movement Options"