Can someone give pixel art tutorials for free? [Solved]

Hectate

I would use graphics gale over gimp, it's more tailored to pixelart specifically, whereas gimp is for editing photos etc, like photoshop.
Perhaps you're just not using it right, or at least in a fashion ideal for pixel art? I've never had trouble with it anyway...
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Photon

I would use graphics gale over gimp, it's more tailored to pixelart specifically, whereas gimp is for editing photos etc, like photoshop.
Perhaps you're just not using it right, or at least in a fashion ideal for pixel art? I've never had trouble with it anyway...
Maybe it's just the layout. You have to remember things like setting certain tool(s) to "hard edge" so the color doesn't "bleed" onto nearby tiles.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

ipe 369

No, i can use it, it's just graphics gale is much faster. You have a set palette, so you never go over your colour limit, and there's the colour picker automatically bound to the right mouse button, along with a host of other nice pixelart tools at your disposal, not to mention it can animate much faster with onionskinning etc. Try it, shouldn't disappoint :)

Hectate

Photon is correct, the settings exist. I guess the key is that since GIMP is more general-purpose, while it can be used for pixel art, it takes more getting used to it to do so. Everything you mention, for example, I have done in GIMP. I made myself a custom CGA palette for the art in Small Squad. Color picking with the pencil tool can be accomplished with holding a key and clicking. Adding a layer and adjusting transparency is functionally identical to onionskinning. I guess it comes down to the fact that Graphics Gale is designed with pixel art only in mind and so it simplifies and focuses on those common pixel art tasks for the user. So nothing against it, but I'll stick with GIMP because not everything I do is pixel art, but everything I do in GIMP adds to my overall level of experience with the software (and makes me better at it!).
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.