Cannot test on mobile devices (iOS/Android)

magicpegasus

I've now spent way too much time and money trying to get Stencyl to function as advertised on my windows 7 machine. After purchasing a license to test/publish on iOS, I didn't expect the process to be so frustratingly difficult! I wish I could have set everything up and had it functioning before spending the money, that way I could use the whole year for game design instead of beta testing.

All I want to do is test my games on iOS and/or Android, and eventually publish.

This is an advertised feature, one that I paid a considerable amount of money for. $99 to Apple, and the price of Stencyl Studio.

After staying up all night setting up and testing iOS certificates, I couldn't get a build to open on my iPhone. At that point, I had two options: jailbreak and test on Android.

Neither of these options worked. Xcode won't build, and Android testing freezes on the "compiling" message in Stencyl. Testing locally on iOS doesn't work either.

Why did I pay the money if I'm not able to easily use the features?!

I know some Windows/PC users are able to use these Stencyl features. For the love of god, somebody help me out here!

Thank you,
MagicPegasus

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:16:26 am by magicpegasus »

magicpegasus

Android testing seems to be stuck on "sending to device" message now. It's been 20 minutes. Honestly, even if this works (which it doesn't) it's taking way too long. I can't wait 20+ minutes each time I want to test a game...

magicpegasus

No, I just want to test. Stencyl 3 should let me test on iOS or Android devices, but it doesn't work for me. Even with Stencyl 2, I should be able to test on my iOS device, but that doesn't work either.

I just want to test on my devices (since the simulator isn't an option for Windows users) before publishing. I intend to use a Mac for that process to avoid further headaches.

coleislazy

I don't know anything about iOS, but I know if you're stuck on "sending to device" on Android, you may not have the correct divers installed (in Windows) for your device. Its not as easy as it is with Mac/iOS, since there are so many devices and Windows doesn't bundle drivers for all of them. Check out your device manufacturer's website for any drivers they might have.

Also, please remember that 3.0 is still in a closed beta phase. You're probably going to hit snags until everything gets ironed out. Please be patient and file clear reports so your problem has a greater chance of getting fixed!

HannesRoets

tbh, I understand what he sais,

i've payed a ios dev licence, i've payed stencyl studio & an ibook (second hand)
and i've waisted one month, and I am yet to test my first game in the ios simulator.
and i'm not talking about my games, i'm talking about the demo games.

out of frustration i've moved to stencyl 3 but that wasn't a great succes either.
i know stencyl 3 is in beta and i'm not talking about stencyl 3

i've got the required OSX and the required Xcode & SDK. I can build succesfully, i can seperatly open the ios simulator and work with it like. but
when i run test on ios device it doesn't work, it builds tries to launch then fails.
my experience for now was less then straight forward and tbh i feel like i've lost more then 400€.
and i'm not even calculating the hours lost.
i've practicly begged here for help and i've got one reply with a question.
my status now is, pray that it'll go with stencyl 3 when it's done.

Bighatgames

I am a Windows user as well and I have similar problems.

When I was using Stencyl 2.1, my game cannot be built, I kept getting error logs, I had everything - p12, provisioning, dev licenses etc etc and yet I get the error about my code not signed. Then, I tried Stencyl 3.0 and my game is stuck for half an hour while trying to run a test for IOS. The "Creating IPA" kept on running and running.....

If there are any successful Windows user who are able to build a game and test on a device, please guide us. Thanks.
Visit my new game!
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/21188
Looney Jump!

Blacksmith

I use Windows to develop for iOS and was convinced from the beginning that to publish your game you needed a Mac. Or you'd end up with serious headaches with adobe air.

So I got a 30 hour pay as you go account from macincloud to VPN into a Mac. It was really slow ( like 1 frame/second, varies by day/time) but i successfully exported my test game from windows stencyl into Mac stencyl by VPN, fixed iOS bugs in my code using the iOS simulator, navigate the provisioning process and publish ad hoc to 2 phones and an iPad. This was all on stencyl 2.2 in dec 2012, and I lost 1/2 my Xmas vacation in the process.

The second time  in may I found a friend with a mac, VPNed again and was successful within 24h.
I did not realize that Jon et al published a great article on the iOS publishing side of things until after round number, but the steps look very comprehensive.
http://www.stencyl.com/help/viewArticle/97

For my 3rd time around I found a MacBook (2006) for $100 and I look forward to easier development and testing.

So if you are on Windows for ios development my suggestion is to find a friend with a Mac, do them a big favor in exchange for borrowing their Mac for a weekend. Give yourself more than just a few hours. And follow the steps in Jon's article.

Good luck.

I am a Windows user as well and I have similar problems.

When I was using Stencyl 2.1, my game cannot be built, I kept getting error logs, I had everything - p12, provisioning, dev licenses etc etc and yet I get the error about my code not signed. Then, I tried Stencyl 3.0 and my game is stuck for half an hour while trying to run a test for IOS. The "Creating IPA" kept on running and running.....

If there are any successful Windows user who are able to build a game and test on a device, please guide us. Thanks.