Scaling

irock

Edit: Can we have an option to take the game's screen, using 1x graphics, and simply stretch it to scale? This would mimic the old scaling.

Stencyl takes my 1x graphics and makes upscaled 2x and 4x versions of them in the resource folder. I have my scale mode set to Scale Dynamically. These unused graphics aren't actually going to be included with my published game, yeah?

I thought it would be good to ask since it seems like it could be an easy oversight.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:36:26 am by Irock »

irock

Ugh, apparently it uses the 2x version of a tileset when my game is scaled 2x, whereas every prior version of Stencyl uses a standard tileset and presumably just upscales the whole game. So if I'm using 16x16 tiles, it's going to needlessly upscale them to 32x32 when I import them, increasing the filesize. This also forces me to manually upscale all my graphics every time I update the existing ones in the resource folder, which I do a lot.

I guess this is also why text in a 2x or 4x game in 3.0 appears to draw at a higher resolution than the graphics? Because the game isn't actually upscaled? And also why the 3x game scale was removed?

irock

Yeah, like text, rotated actors defy the rest of the graphics by being of a higher resolution.

Can we not get the option to restore the old behavior of taking the game screen and simply upscaling it?

twotimingpete

I noticed this a while ago and was outraged, after I realized setting it to scale dynamically made the other versions not end up in the export, though, I settled down.

I'm still pretty confused as to why it does this or what the point is, but I haven't developed for mobile yet.

irock

I moved this to Suggestions. This is imperative.

Jon

At least, based on my recollection, Scale Dynamically will use 1x graphics, not bundle the hi-res graphics and actually scale the screen like the original 2.x option.

irock

That doesn't seem to be the case. I have it set to Scale Dynamically in a 2x scale game. It uses the 2x graphics (I have to make changes to the 2x graphics in the resource folder to see my changes reflected) and, as I pointed out, the detail of rotated actors and text indicate that this is a 640x480 game rather than a 320x240 game that's scaled.

NobodyX

Any news on if this is going to be fixed and/or when? I'd love to make a 640 x 480 game with lots of cinematic type things, but in fullscreen with just a few large actors the game slows considerably making my idea completely impractical, not to mention that when things rotate or are different sizes they look wonky and don't fit the intended resolution.

I'd REALLY appreciate it if there were an option that just scales the entire screen as one image, and it sounds like that's what there is supposed to be and it doesn't work? I DID set the scale mode to "Scale Dynamically" and it has no effect whatsoever.

twotimingpete

I'd like to full screen but my tiles disappear when I do so.

edit: this doesn't seem to actually happen anymore, though I do get errors if I try to run full screen mode and my scene dimensions are bigger than a certain amount.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:54:07 pm by twotimingpete »