Game Center Turn Based API's [IDEA]

toml2003

Jon, how hard would it be to implement the game center turn based api's in a stencyl game? Is it something that it planned for the near future, or will I have to start coding it myself now?

I plan on make a turn based game over the next 6 months.

Tom

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:10:22 am by Jon »

bonzero

I would love to have an extension for that, I tried to follow tutorials etc but still requieres quite a bit of coding... :S

toml2003

I've been reading a tutorial as well, specifically this one. http://www.raywenderlich.com/5480/beginning-turn-based-gaming-with-ios-5-part-1

I'm hoping to get it working, just need to figure out how to send Stencyl List data through Game Center as a NSdata object.

Jon

You'd need to code this yourself. I could provide the source to the existing Game Center support in 3.0 as a baseline.

toml2003

Ok Jon, I think I can do it.

The source to the existing Game Center support would be handy. I think I can send my matchData as a simple string of text/numbers, then use code in Stencyl to separate it afterwards.

kidbeyond

Would this enable rudimentary support for Game Center challenges? If so, any advice -- i.e., code snippets -- anyone could provide would be most helpful.

bonzero

toml2003 if you manage to make an extension I would be willing to pay for it, once again, I think an extensions market would be really awesome

Jon

This is the game center extension, verbatim as I have it right now. The design mode blocks are defined in Stencyl itself (so don't bother looking for them), but everything else should be self explanatory.

Jon

Moving to Extensions.

toml2003

I would love to do this, however I really can't code. The only reason I can create anything, is because of Stencyl. I hope someone with the knowledge can make a Turn Based Game Center extension soon.

toml2003

Jon,

If the community got together, how much would it cost us for you personally to make us a Game Center Turn Based Extension? With the expressed concern that there may be compatibility issues with anything less than iOS 5.0?

As you know, there's lots of interest in this type of Extension, I just haven't seen anyone willing to take on the challenge, and you know the HaXe code very well now.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16356.msg97661.html#msg97661

toml2003

Is this something you had on the 3.x road map? If so, a rough guide when? 3, 6 or 12 months time?

Edit: I'm talk specifically about just Turn Based support, that seems much easier to implement.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:20:50 pm by toml2003 »

Jon

Multiplayer support, whether real-time or turn-based isn't on the roadmap for 3.x. We have a lot of things to fix up after 3.0 before we tackle entirely new areas. As the only one coding this full-time, there aren't the bandwidth/resources to take on something that is off the core roadmap.

toml2003

Okay Jon. I'll try research it a bit more and try some stuff.