Fight Fighter

Derek

Finally, a fighting game outside Super Smash Bros. I can actually get into. I know you're already on top of this, but maybe add in a single player (right fighter is CPU) and a two player mode.
Don't be a critic on the internet while eating and drinking at your computer.

NobodyX

This is absolutely EXCELLENT. I know I said this before, but I think we can all admit we'd love you if you made this a kit in the future, since im sure there are a ton of useful behaviors in here that would benefit the community.
Glad you think it's cool. I was typing a long rant about why I don't like the idea of releasing a kit, but then realized that it sounded crazy and nobody would enjoy reading it. Can't you love me even if I don't release a kit?  :)

Edit: NVM I got it to work I just played this game with my friend and boy did the gameplay kick ass. So much variety of attacks.
Great! Glad you like it!

This is looking amazing, it works beautifully. Keep in mind, though, that some laptops (Such as my macbook) don't have numpads and can't be used to control player 2.
Yeah, there's not much I can do about that unless you would want to be squishing 4 hands right next to each other. 2 player won't be the main point of the game, it's just what got completed first.

Finally, a fighting game outside Super Smash Bros. I can actually get into.
The game was basically started as a reaction to how the most fun stuff in many fighting games is hidden behind ridiculous timing and memorization. I wanted to make a game in which buttom mashing is not an option.

I know you're already on top of this, but maybe add in a single player (right fighter is CPU) and a two player mode.
I don't know what you mean by two player mode, this IS the two player mode.

NobodyX

If anyone is trying it with a friend and the keyboard can't handle too many key presses at once, use a controller and Joy2Key (or something similar) if you can.

tabletop

aww so what is the reason of why there will never be a kit? This is such a quality engine...

Jesse

Awesome! I love all of the work you put into the individual moves! :)

NobodyX

aww so what is the reason of why there will never be a kit? This is such a quality engine...
1. I would have to change way, way too much to make it work for other games. For example many actors are placed in such a way that it only makes sense because I know they are a specific size.

2. It is very messy and without any documentation whatsoever. Lots of different ideas are stretched between actors and behaviours in ways that would be too confusing to others. I made it as though only I would have to understand it and it shows.

3. It's not efficiently made which results in some tedious stuff I don't think others would put up with.

4. The game's mechanics are atypical and I'd like to keep them unique. I put a lot of thought into how the game plays and I don't like the idea of the mechanics becoming the "default" for people too lazy to come up with their own.

5. You can't make a proper fighting game with several player characters who can all face one another, because they can't turn around.

6. Most of the effort put into the game would not be suitable for a generic kit (specific attacks, AI, etc).

7. Most importantly, if anyone wanted to make a fighting game with mechanics that aren't exactly the same it would probably be less work to make it from scratch than the combined effort of me making a kit and the other learning it.

tabletop

While it might be difficult to edit it in itself due to the way it was made, im sure there is people out there who would be willing to use it for maybe battle encounters of their game. Im sure once stencylmarket comes around people would even pay money to use this as a base engine for combat.

NobodyX

Either way I don't want to think about it until I actually get the game done first!

Ceric

I think a good halfway approach to developing a kit would be to let somebody else check out the demo version, on its own, once the game is finished, so they can potentially develop a kit.

That way, people wouldn't have access to the entire game, but somebody who was ambitious could take some of the basic concepts and apply them to an actual kit without having to come up with everything from scratch.

It's up to NobodyX, of course. Just an idea.

NobodyX

I was going to type out some combos, but instead I decided to make a video. I'm a newbie to editing videos, but I just learned that Windows Movie Maker is a piece of trash.

Movie Maker ruined the ratio, ruined some of the cuts I made, and the recording software made the audio and video out of sync. Enjoy!

The last two combos are silly.

To the people who played the game: did you find that it was easy enough to figure out decent combos for the left guy? I wanted to make it so that there were visual reason as to why moves lead into each other in certain combinations, as opposed to attacks arbitrarily ending early as in many fighting games. Is intuitive why certain combinations work and others don't?

Wow, this looks and feels amazing! The game is great!

(in other words MAKE MORE OR I WILL FIND YOUR FAMILY)

NobodyX

I just realized that this game was invisible this whole time since launch. It should be visible now.

I've made some simple AI for the box character a while ago, maybe someday I'll finish that and make AI for the other character so that there's at least some kind of single player game.

NobodyX

I just realized that this game was invisible this whole time since launch. It should be visible now.
Turns out that I messed that up. Oops.

The links were wrong and it was listed only in the "works in progress" section. Now it's "published," and the links are correct, like this one is:
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/2133

qack334

i don't understand how :( >:( con :'( player two ??? :-*\

robogobodo

LOL i love the little fist shakeing
Check out my tutorials at www.youtube.com/finalbossgamers