My Music Composed in 2013

irock

My new years resolution is to finish the games I start and to improve the quality of all my art. So I thought I'd give the music I write this year its own thread.

I'm going to start out by completely defying the intention of this thread by posting two songs that were written in the final week or so of 2012. I don't play by the rules, even if I made them. :coolcat:

Feedback is more than appreciated.

You can download the tracks individually and easily here.

The Final Run
Posted: August 8th
Listen on Soundcloud

A constantly moving track about running
for what is perhaps the last time.

The Life and Death of Justin Espedel,
Pt. I - Antidawn (Song for Justin Espedal)

Posted: April 16th
Listen on Soundcloud

A song about the life and death of fictional
character Justin Espedel. This was written for Justin
Espedal because he guessed a word in pictionary.

A Perfect Moon
Posted: January 1st
Listen on Soundcloud

A calm emotional piece about the moon at night time
or something.

Isaiah's Last Stand
Posted: January 1st
Listen on Soundcloud

An experimental mix of electronic, arabic and somethin'
else. This actually started out as a simple chipmusic title
theme for a small action-adventure game I'm working on,
but quickly turned into something unusable but worth
continuing.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:16:35 pm by Irock »

Blob

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:37:43 pm by Blob »

Kitheif

That's some wonderful stuff man!
The second one pulled me into some crazy desert technology themed trance haha
(removed my tune)

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:16:30 am by Kitheif »

lazyboygames

I liked "A Perfect Moon." Not really much to say. Just a solid calm, soothing song.

Thought "Isaiah's Last Stand" was okay. The opening with that fluctuating bass annoyed me. I preferred the last half of the song.

I am actually working on composing music for one of my next games. If you don't mind could you give me a tip on how you go about creating music? Is there a certain process you go through?

irock

Thanks for the compliments and feedback!

I am actually working on composing music for one of my next games. If you don't mind could you give me a tip on how you go about creating music? Is there a certain process you go through?
I improvise things on my midi keyboard and input them into Logic Pro. Sometimes I record certain parts but usually don't because I'm not great at playing. I equalize and mix the song as I'm writing it. Eventually I run out of ideas for the track and I finish it up.

MetalRenard

Because the stuff you've done is good I'm going to be picky in the hopes of helping you get even better. Do you mind? I have the best intentions at heart. :)

When you write classical music with midi you have to try and emulate real playing as much as possible. Something you'd never hear in real live performances is heavy silences between notes such as the gaps between each note played by the cello/double bass (low instruments) in A Perfect Moon.
To fix this all you have to do is make the midi notes cross over a bit so one sample starts just before another ends.

Next, on the composition side, it's all nice and pretty but everything seems to be playing the same thing the piano played, the same chords, the same melodies.
You could try writing a 2nd complimentary melody for the oboe that comes in 1/2 way through to really make this piece something special.

In Isaiah's last stand I found the rough synth quite jarring (although this is most likely due to personal taste and you can disregard this) so I would have cut out some of the higher frequencies to make it a bit smoother.
The bass is sweet btw.

I hope this helps - once again, I'm being picky because you have the basics down already and just saying "good job!" wouldn't benefit you at all.
Composer. Rocker. World Ambassador For Foxes.
http://metalrenardmusic.com/

irock

When you write classical music with midi you have to try and emulate real playing as much as possible. Something you'd never hear in real live performances is heavy silences between notes such as the gaps between each note played by the cello/double bass (low instruments) in A Perfect Moon.
To fix this all you have to do is make the midi notes cross over a bit so one sample starts just before another ends.
I'm sorta unfamiliar with the standards of orchestral instruments, so I'll keep that in mind. Like, I was worried that the english horn exceeded its range at one point and I had to consult a friend of mine who writes "classical" music. Perhaps I should ask more questions and become more familiar with how this stuff's supposed to sound.

Next, on the composition side, it's all nice and pretty but everything seems to be playing the same thing the piano played, the same chords, the same melodies.
You could try writing a 2nd complimentary melody for the oboe that comes in 1/2 way through to really make this piece something special.
Variance in my music is absolutely something I need to work on. A lot of my stuff tends to sound a bit basic and samey. I've gotta work on that.

In Isaiah's last stand I found the rough synth quite jarring (although this is most likely due to personal taste and you can disregard this) so I would have cut out some of the higher frequencies to make it a bit smoother.
That's probably my inexperience with equalizing. I probably just got used to it after listening over and over. :)

I appreciate the advice, man!

lazyboygames

I improvise things on my midi keyboard and input them into Logic Pro. Sometimes I record certain parts but usually don't because I'm not great at playing. I equalize and mix the song as I'm writing it. Eventually I run out of ideas for the track and I finish it up.

Thanks for the tip. Usually when I try to make something it involves me fiddling around, and improvising until I get something that sounds good, so I think your method will work for me.

SharonErin

Good music. Good luck! :)
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.        choosehottubsdirect reviews

ipe 369

Ooh, very nice :D Sounding good 'n professional:) On isaiah's last stand, i find the bass outweighs the melody, in fact i find many music in games now is focused less on the melody and more on ambience. It really depends on how you're going to use it, but if you were going for a catchy tune that people will know (mario, for instance) amplify the melody a little.

irock

I was going for big bass clubbin sound.

irock

I present to you, The Life and Death of Justin Espedel, Pt. I - Antidawn (Song for Justin Espedal)

https://soundcloud.com/kcori/the-life-and-death-of-justin-espedel

Justin won guessed a word in a stupid game of pictionary and his prize was a 5+ minute song. This is 13+ minutes. I'm really happy with this one.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:22:25 pm by Irock »

irock

The Final Run

It's about running for the last time.

https://soundcloud.com/kcori/the-final-run