Two Demos

GregAnims

Hey,

I'm pretty new to the stencyl community, but its awesome so far, i hope to be a valid part of it.

Here's two things i played with (i figure its worth sharing, as what ive seen from other people has inspired me a lot):

http://greg-anims.com/?p=411

1. Make clones. Potential for a puzzle game? It just copies the actor, adds tint and some force
2. Playing with images, they are just collision-less actors, with terrain drawn over the top. Also, by holding DOWN, you can bounce the character.

Greg

That's pretty cool - I actually really like the graphical style of the 1st demo

TheHighscore

You know, just a few minutes before coming into this topic I was thinking about what it would be like to give the player control over two Actors at once. Then voila, here it is in action. *applaud*

I like your idea with the clones, but there are two problems I encountered:
1)When your clone dies, you also die and have to restart. Please make it so that when the clones die that this doesn't happen.

2)Pressing the "x"(clone) button repeatedly causes many clones to appear on the screen at once, causing a massive slowdown.

For the second problem, I think you should make it so that the player can only summon so many clones at one time. For example, if there is 1 clone on the screen, limit the player to 2 more, then 1 more, then none. I don't know how you would do it, but that is just my suggestion.

Fix those two problems and you have pure gold.

As for the second tech demo, I like the idea and think it could make a good game. I had the idea of a pinball level that would be perfect for this concept.

Kainui

First game could be interesting with the clones concept. Second game seems kind of normal to me to be honest. Doesn't the Kirby, Sonic, and Metroid games feature characters that turn into balls not to mention others?

choas81

philandy

I love both examples here, and it would be awesome to see them combined (like as you create a clone you decide what ability it has). A lot of the other comments are accurate, especially with the style.

My suggestion is to work on the second one more. Not only will there be less bugs, but the background is very stylish. It doesn't have to be gray/snowy, and I can see it as a "competitor" to fancy pants more than the first one. I suggest for it that you add a doublejump, perhaps some limited skills like kicking bouncy balls or holding up could cause the world to be affected by your jumping, sort of like an opposite to your bouncy ball. Because it bounces higher, you've already got everything you need for some death defying speed rushes to complete goals. All you need is level design now!

chaosoul

Yay the first one seems similar to use boxmen would like a sequel and that seems perfect to use as a new concept for it.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

GregAnims

Yay the first one seems similar to use boxmen would like a sequel and that seems perfect to use as a new concept for it.

Thanks, i'm adapting the idea into a puzzle-platformer involving monkeys. If you enjoyed Use Boxmen, you'll dig this.

sketchling

Love them. Its so hard to find a new twist to puzzles and game design and I really love what you are doing. Your boxmen on your site had me scratching my head for ages.

airman4

Nice art to begin dude
you seems a talented guy , i'd like to be friend with you haha!

Nice! Cant wait to see what you come up with next. ;D
***********SSG***********

GregAnims

Nice art to begin dude
you seems a talented guy , i'd like to be friend with you haha!

awesome, i expect we'll be seeing a lot of eachs others work here soon :)