Rollin' Paint.

spoogob

Game out now at link below.

Rollin' Paint is a painting game with a difference. You must guide your wheel to the finishing line using momentum, over gaps in the floor, up lifts, around bends, and using fans to pick up your speed - all by painting roadway into the level so your wheel doesn't fall in the sea!

27 Levels of increasing difficulty as you try to collect each of the 3 stars and bonus wheel nuts, as you help guide your wheel around the level. Gain extra points for collecting nuts, and bonus points for any remaining paint at levels end. Use 'wheel-time' to give you a time limited pause to paint ahead before unleashing wheels momentum again!

New short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN82Rg4FcD0

Game :

http://www.gameshed.com/Physics-Games/Rollin_-Paint/

Stencyl arcade:

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/18655

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:57:25 pm by spoogob »

rob1221

That's pretty cool, and I think it has a good chance of being sponsored.  How did you implement the collisions with the paint?

Joe

That's slick -- nice job!

spoogob

Each paint 'actor' is a round graphic of the same colour, using circle collision. So when the player drags and paints with the mouse, its spawning lots of these actors so it looks like paint - but the 'combined' circle collision kinda gives a smooth ish surface for the wheel to roll over, round, up etc. I put a timer on each spawned actor of 3 seconds, which adds to the challenge, and also makes it drip away which helps keep performance good. (using 3.0 i can get away with alot of actors).. ive never counted, but im guessing its spawning a few dozen actors as you 'paint'.

The game works perfect performance wise and otherwise - aslong as players take notice of 'wheel time', otherwise painting gets tricky when things speed up - but i thought this would be a good gameplay mechanic - allow the player to pause the wheel while you paint ahead, but also limit the amount of paint you can use and how much 'wheel time' you can use up.

Ive put the game up for fgl admin check, and its already come back with a poor score and complaints about controls being too difficult/etc - Im guessing admin failed to take notice of wheel time, which is very important to gameplay, as its there to help you complete a level, not just there for the sake of it. (you cant miss all the popups and info Ive stuck in there helping/informing the player what to do).

spoogob

lmao yeah. hes reviewed all 4 of my games on there. first 2 never got sponsored, 3rd is currently being bid on, and latest is this one. First 2 he scored a 7/10 and a 6.5/10, the 3rd which is being bid on got a 7.5/10, and i was really hoping this one would get a 7.5 at least as i thought it was a big improvement in some areas, especially graphics .. nope, a 6... with complaints about controls being difficult and cant paint where he wants - hes totally missing the point as far as im concerned because everyone that tested it for me thought the idea and 'wheel time' mechanic was a great idea and actually made the game abit more fun and a challenge. lol ive replied back and explained what hes obviously not doing, but ive also put some more pop ups on level 1, to explain a little more that wheel time is important to the player and in being able to complete levels.

spoogob

That's slick -- nice job!

Thanks Joe.

I hope when its finally released, playing it comes across as well as the video and info. I felt this is my best effort yet, so i hope it doesnt suffer from 'looks/sounds great but actually sucks'. lol

rob1221

No way that's only worth a 6 rating.  I still stand by what I first said, but with that rating you're going to have to start e-mailing sponsors to get views.

spoogob

Yeah, i could understand the complaint if there was no wheel time, no way of 'helping' the player paint, that i  could understand because its very hard to paint when the wheel speeds up - hence wheel time, which you can use at any point, not just when its moving fast. But he obviously hadnt read the help page, or even read the pre-level 1 pop up message giving you quick pointers, including how to use wheeltime.

Ive replied anyhow and explained it to him, but they dont like changing review scores unless they really have to.. he complained about buttons not working in my last game when they worked perfectly fine, but when i wrote to him, he just complained some more lol but yeah thats my only worry is a game under a 6.5/7 kinda score is gonna struggle to get many sponsor views.

jeffkenz

just doing my best

spoogob

Thanks for the comment :)

Just an update rob: took a few back and forth messages and stuff to get approved (revised score 7/10). Within 15 minutes of approval, the very first sponsor viewer placed a very nice/large first bid :D

rob1221

Gratz, I knew that was a BS rating.

Ceric

Congrats on the sponsorship! Looks like a pretty cool game. Nice implementation of the painting mechanic.

Jon

I'd love to get more of the backstory on the sponsorship bidding experience and perhaps encode that into an article. We've had someone very experienced write about sponsorships before, but it would be more beneficial perhaps if it were heard from someone new to the process like you.

The game looks great (reminds me of Kirby Canvas Curse, lite).

Do you plan to take it to mobile?

spoogob

Congrats on the sponsorship! Looks like a pretty cool game. Nice implementation of the painting mechanic.

Thanks. It works quite well and although maybe not perfect, it does the job good enough I think. :)

I was pleased with getting a very good first bid, but a few more weeks to go so hopefully it gets more views and bids!