Rollin' Paint.

spoogob

I'd love to get more of the backstory on the sponsorship bidding experience and perhaps encode that into an article. We've had someone very experienced write about sponsorships before, but it would be more beneficial perhaps if it were heard from someone new to the process like you.

The game looks great (reminds me of Kirby Canvas Curse, lite).

Do you plan to take it to mobile?

Well, Im not the greatest at writing stuff, but Im happy to write a little something about my beginner experiences of sponsorship, what Ive seen, anything Ive picked up, the process and the 'wait'! Just let me know when you want something, or if theres any specific things to cover.

Thanks for the nice comment. Im sure proof will be in the game when everyone gets to check it out. I was very happy with the game - sure theres things even now after fgl review and bids that im thinking hmm, maybe I could have added this/that, but on the whole, its the happiest Ive been, of the 4 stencyl games Ive made.

Ive thought about taking it to Ios, as its a very simple control and gameplay really. In the regular/flash version, mouse paints and 1 keyboard key is used to control the 'wheel time' pause. On a touch screen phone/tablet, it might be nicer to use your finger to paint and a small onscreen (or otherwise) button for the pause element. At moment I dont have any next game set (altho i have a great idea Ive been playing with).. and would like to move Rollin paint to Ios. I have access to newer iphones but not ipads , i dont have a mac, so im guessing would have to use the remote build option then test through the (borrowed!) device. (altho if thats the case, I dunno when remote building will be setup on 3.0, and if its after 3.0 release, then my current subscription doesnt include ios).. so , put simply, yeah i think it would work and do well on mobile and id like to try taking it there, but at moment its not easy for me to do, yet anyhow.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:45:58 am by spoogob »

Jon

For the kind of game you're building, if a Mac's out of the question you may want to try out the VM route - the game's too dependent on touch for the remote build case to be any fun. You'll inevitably be tweaking and testing to get it feeling just right, not because it's different from the web version but because when you get a touch screen, it just feels different and has to be tuned.

spoogob

By VM, you mean virtual machine - running mac on a pc, essentially ? As its better to develop this kinda game through a 'mac' with the device itself ?

Jon

The game is very heavy on touch input and accuracy of that input. You'll inevitably be doing a lot of on-device testing to tune the feel of it and need the quick turnaround that a native Mac workflow provides.

Yes, a VM means a virtual machine. The best thing of all is to get a Mac, but a virtual machine is a fine alternative if you're not ready to take the plunge.

spoogob

Yeah its more about funds than just getting a mac unfortunately at the moment. But a Vm sounds good. I did a little research and virtualbox seems the free and easiest solution. Just need to get the/a mac os now and set it up.

Jon

There's a step by step guide on Lifehacker (IIRC) that should get you through this. Bear in mind, I haven't done any of this myself since I have an actual Mac, but there are several around here who have and might be able to chime in if you run into issues.

spoogob

ok thanks Jon, Ill look into it. Would be interesting to move this game to Ios - shall see how it goes :)

twotimingpete

very creative and looks well executed in the video, awesome work. I wish I could finish a dang game already!

dtrungle

I wish I could finish a dang game already!

So true.

Eager to play this game. It's unique in the sense that there's no other Stencyl game of this type and quality.

spoogob

Thanks for the comments folks.. It may not be perfect, but Im the happiest ive been with a  game yet! To get a bid on fgl within 15 minutes of it being approved was a nice thing, so hopefully it will pick up over the next 2-3 weeks, but if not, itll still be nice and to finally let people have a play - Ill still be pleased :D

Jon

If you e-mail me the FGL link, I can get Kongregate and Newgrounds to peek at the game. I've gotten both to bid on someone else's recent game, though I can't guarantee that it will beat what you've already gotten.

(The same goes for anybody who's got a good game that's passed the FGL test and already has decent bids. I can't promote everybody because I'd lose credibility, but if it's something good, what I can do can give it that extra push.)

spoogob

Ok cool, will do, think i remember your email address (sent it to you at this domain)

well, this games only got one bid, but its only been on for like 3 days, but its a 'nice' first bid, although im sure others have had much larger. its roughly 3 times the bid of my other game anyhow. thanks for the offer anyhow, and i understand you cant do it for everyone.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:47:05 pm by spoogob »

AlexKershaw

Good luck with the game! I can't play it on FGL because you've turned off developer playing :(

spoogob

Yeah I tend to do that when feedback dries up and the game gets approved.

I did notice you just have a quick look at my other game though ;) which for some reason I must have left developer viewing on lol At the moment that game is doing really well, so Im quite pleased, but alittle cautious of the offers being made (bid requirements and such). Trying to prepare for things at moment (incorperating splash screens etc api's).

spoogob

Just a little update on this game. Am now working on the IOS version with the help of Innes, and its already looking very nice on ipad, and works/looks really good so far. Needs a few little fixes and some gui alterations (more so for phones than pads due to the smaller screen), but on the whole it looks great, works smooth as, and Im looking forward to us completing it. :)