METAL SLUG REMAKE

Froppel

Hi everyone!

I am currently working on a remake of the famous Metal Slug, a run and gun classic from SNK. My goal is to create a flash version of all levels ever published in one game, probably with even more details, but mainly the original games. If there are enough user made levels, i will publish an Best of user level sets.
Everyone is allowed and asked to contribute, but i am especially looking for people, who:

-Can rip sprites in high quality,
-Can code a bit(I need help!!!!)
-Can design their own Sprites that have a similar style
-Can design/rebuild some levels

To everyone who doesnt know what Metal Slug is, visit the Wikipedia article or the official wiki.
Any help is appreciated and please dont be afraid of sending me a message.
#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

The actual game is now available in the Stencyl Forge!
#YOLO#SWAG

Photon

Sweet mother of copyright infringement!!! O_O

It's one thing to take a series and make your own game of it (which is still VERY questionable), but to flat out rip all the levels too? You are probably violating SEVERAL copyrights; I recommend you remove your game immediately.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Froppel

1. New version out!
2. Nope, as far as i know its now copyright violations, because the original creator NAZCA is no longer existing and even if it would, there would not be any problem. Because i am to lazy to explain the situation to you, I would just ask you to read the disclaimer of any other metal Slug fan project. And neither am i trying to earn money with it, nor has the copyright owner at the moment (SNK) done anything against all the other remakes and tries on newgrounds, kongregate, etc....
#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

1. New version out!
2. Nope, as far as i know its now copyright violations, because the original creator NAZCA is no longer existing and even if it would, there would not be any problem. Because i am to lazy to explain the situation to you, I would just ask you to read the disclaimer of any other metal Slug fan project. And neither am i trying to earn money with it, nor has the copyright owner at the moment (SNK) done anything against all the other remakes and tries on newgrounds, kongregate, etc....

I am not planning any sort of "real" release, so there should not be any problems. If i would plan a release, i would have contacted SNK Playmore first. And also think of the Mod Black mesa for half life: The original creator is still existing, the whole source code was used, even the title was used, and yet the original creator said that he was looking forward on playing it. BTW, i am prety sure that METAL SLUG is ABANDONWARE, look it up on wikipedia if you dont know what that means.
#YOLO#SWAG

vikingpotato

Nice work! here, have have some lawsuits.. :P
jk, but people have been sued in history for taking abandon-wares for granted.. if ur art skills are limited, why dont you just draw some hats on the characters  ::), or stuff enough to keep your work safe from CnD

ADD: please put a latest stencyl arcade link here

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:03:27 pm by vikingpotato »

captaincomic

Abandonware basically means the software is distributed freely because nobody complains. That doesn't mean the copyright holders of the software or artwork have lost their copyright, they are just not claiming it. The artwork is copyrighted nonetheless.

You may only use the artwork if the authors explicitly state the the artwork is public domain or distributed under a free licence. If you use the art anyway and upload it to StencylForge or a Flash game portal you're infriging copyright.

If you don't make any profit with it and clearly label it as "fan work" and the copyright holders don't complain, then it's maybe okay.

Froppel

Nice work! here, have have some lawsuits.. :P
jk, but people have been sued in history for taking abandon-wares for granted.. if ur art skills are limited, why dont you just draw some hats on the characters  ::), or stuff enough to keep your work safe from CnD

I have actually done that, and it doesnt even provide eycancer. but i just want to rebuild the metal slug series as a flash for me, because:
-I can plax it evrywhere (with USB)
-its all in one,not 6 different emulators
-it totally works on every computer

As for the change color/add hats stuff. Well, if you take a look at the sprite sheets, you will first off all shit a house made of bricks and then thank the person who took the time to actually rib the sheets and make them into an animation. I mean, its like 200-300 animations for one main character of one part of the MS series. so it takes a f****** huge amoount of time to actually vandalize all the sprites until they can not be recognized as sprites from ms. And btw, i already contacted SNK Playmore and as far as i know, no COMMERCIAL FANKREMAKE OF MS had to deal with any lawsuits. (just googled it).
But thx for the feedback, its my first work with games, the other stuff on my account was made by my brother
#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

Abandonware basically means the software is distributed freely because nobody complains. That doesn't mean the copyright holders of the software or artwork have lost their copyright, they are just not claiming it. The artwork is copyrighted nonetheless.

You may only use the artwork if the authors explicitly state the the artwork is public domain or distributed under a free licence. If you use the art anyway and upload it to StencylForge or a Flash game portal you're infriging copyright.

If you don't make any profit with it and clearly label it as "fan work" and the copyright holders don't complain, then it's maybe okay.

Thats actually exactly what i plan, i only upload it to stencyl forge so others can contribute. No plans on earning money (might change that in a few days, but shhh.... dont tell anyone)
#YOLO#SWAG

vikingpotato

Froppel

#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

#YOLO#SWAG

Alexin

Quote from: Froppel
[...] the other stuff on my account was made by my brother
We all have brothers, don't we?
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

RENGAC

You should adjust the speed, jump and inertia of the character. I´m not feeling like playing the original. You should also change the keys of the actions.

Froppel

Quote from: Froppel
[...] the other stuff on my account was made by my brother
We all have brothers, don't we?

I think so, its hard to live withoutv them although about 90% of the time they are annoying
#YOLO#SWAG