METAL SLUG REMAKE

Froppel

You should adjust the speed, jump and inertia of the character. I´m not feeling like playing the original. You should also change the keys of the actions.

As i am just a scriptkiddy i will try that, but there is hardly any chance that it will get better without the help of some of you!
#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

Another update, although a quite small one. try and/or flame about it here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/17520

SHIT!!!!!!!

This time a working version!: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/17505

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:39:08 am by Froppel »
#YOLO#SWAG

Innes

2. Nope, as far as i know its now copyright violations, because the original creator NAZCA is no longer existing and even if it would, there would not be any problem. Because i am to lazy to explain the situation to you, I would just ask you to read the disclaimer of any other metal Slug fan project. And neither am i trying to earn money with it, nor has the copyright owner at the moment (SNK) done anything against all the other remakes and tries on newgrounds, kongregate, etc....

It's almost certainly a copyright and trademark violation - the Metal Slug IP is owned by SNK Playmore who are actively using and promoting the Metal Slug IP in current products. From their web page of their latest press-release (Feb 2013):

Copyright Information:

(C)SNK PLAYMORE. "METAL SLUG" is a registered trademark of SNK PLAYMORE CORPORATION.
All other company and product names used herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/metal-slug-2-enlisted-for-duty-on-ios-and-android-devices

It doesn't matter whether or not you are making money from the use of some else's intellectual property; it's still a breach of copyright and trademark laws. Nor does it matter whether or not they have taken action against anyone else.

I advise removing the game from StencylForge.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

Froppel

i know that SNK Playmore holds the copyright and I already contacted them regarding the creation of a fan remake. But once again i want to tell you: Metal Slug 1.5 also was a Remake that is still available and as far as i know, SNK Playmore has done nothing against it yet. I will continue working on the remake as a fan project until SNK Playmore either contacts me and says that I have to stop or until the game is taken down.
#YOLO#SWAG

Innes

i know that SNK Playmore holds the copyright and I already contacted them regarding the creation of a fan remake.

What was their response?

Froppel

No response yet, but i am checking every hour so I dont get hit unaware by any bad news about me violating copyrights.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:12:42 am by Froppel »
#YOLO#SWAG

twotimingpete

People make fan projects with game assets all the time. If you aren't selling it I wouldn't worry.

Froppel

People make fan projects with game assets all the time. If you aren't selling it I wouldn't worry.

Finally someone who understands my point.

AND someone who likes metroid!
#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

Another update today, this time with a shooting enemy which actually doesnt look that bad!

For ARCADE: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/17522
#YOLO#SWAG

twotimingpete

looks good, the animations look funny though because they seem to not be lined up right. you don't seem to have a proper spritesheet or something, not sure, but if I had to guess it seems the frames aren't aligned properly with eachother.

Froppel

looks good, the animations look funny though because they seem to not be lined up right. you don't seem to have a proper spritesheet or something, not sure, but if I had to guess it seems the frames aren't aligned properly with eachother.

thats the problem. i am currently using the sprites from Stencylforge sincee for the enemy there would be about 400 single pictures to be cut out and edited. But thx for the feeback and if you want, you can contribute some sprites yourself. :)
#YOLO#SWAG

Froppel

In case you want to help me, you can download the game via stencylforge and set the collisionboxes right. By doing this, you prevent the character from standing on different heights, which looks quite stupid a the moment
#YOLO#SWAG

Alexin

If I would replace the sprites with something else, then I wouldn't say it's a Metal Slug fan game. Besides the graphics (even those need work!), it really doesn't feel anything like the original.

You shouldn't put together some Metal Slug sprites and call it a remake.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Innes

I do understand your point; I just disagree with it!

Using copyright and trademarked IP without the authority of the owner of the IP is illegal, regardless of whether or not you are making money from it.

You can have whatever point of view you like, but that doesn't make it legal.

If you choose to carry on. whilst knowing the illegality of your actions, then that's your choice, but I think it's important for others to know the facts, especially when there are so many young users of products like Stencyl, who do not know the law.

twotimingpete

I do understand your point; I just disagree with it!

Using copyright and trademarked IP without the authority of the owner of the IP is illegal, regardless of whether or not you are making money from it.

You can have whatever point of view you like, but that doesn't make it legal.

If you choose to carry on. whilst knowing the illegality of your actions, then that's your choice, but I think it's important for others to know the facts, especially when there are so many young users of products like Stencyl, who do not know the law.

oh please. fans do all kinds of stuff. sometimes they're pretty large scale, too. companies don't care about this, hell, they probably like it.

worst case scenario -- your fan project is getting huge and awesome, and the company either is aleady making a similar game or gets the idea from you to make that game, and then asks you to take it down. that is pretty much the worst thing that can happen.

having some fun playin in stencyl with metal slug sprites is harmless and who cares?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iM26OGIH1o

This is some fan metroid project. This has had many many man hours put into it and it's a serious project. Nintendo couldn't care less. And if they did, they'd just ask them to stop and they'd stop. That's how it works.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:55:06 am by twotimingpete »