BLiP (#1 in 18 different countries)

DedReer

Really thrilled my first Stencyl game BLiP got featured on AppGratis in January and managed to get over 400,000 downloads!!! 

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blip/id517284999?mt=8

The game is a retro inspired challenging platform game for iPhone and iPad.  Inspired by platformers like Super Meat Boy, Mappy (an old Namco game) and the Impossible game, with soundtrack by Belle and Sebastian's Stuart David and Chris Geddes.

In a short space of time it shot up the charts globally reaching top 10 in 38 countries and #1 in 18 countries!

(My head was spinning that week.)

Since the promotion, lots of people got in touch with me suggesting ways I could improve the game.  I implemented those changes in the current version on the App Store and the game is much better for it.

Here's a freebie for fellow Stencylers out there - 20 BLiP promocodes up for grabs! Please tell your friends, rate on the App Store and help me spread the word about it.

9J7NHWWTNRHF
H47NJRW4TEXJ
MJMPNAMWAPTL
HPWAX9T37RKF
7A94NTMA3F33
34HFJKFXMTJW
LJ36THNXX4X3
P3PPTMJW4WTF
Y7YN4WKTJLF4
3ALYANRJWTY9
PW96KYNNYKJN
4WR6TKHTRR76
79WHK33KT6RN
9MPXM4T93EPE
T7APPW9XKEXE
K9W3WKFH6P7M
N6NRXR43PHJ7
TF7344KWMJAR
NWHHP7Y63E9A
6X97NJX7LRKT

Make a note which one you take for other downloaders.

Really hope you enjoy the game :)

It was made in 3-4 months by a one man team in wet and windy Scotland.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:53:52 pm by Innes »

Jon

As I mentioned over e-mail, congrats again on your success with this game.

Quick omission - you forgot to include a link to your game, and a couple screenshots would be nice. ;)

spoogob

Well done!

Can i ask you what monetizing methods you use? is it just a paid app or do you have a few days free then start selling it? Just curious at what kinda success you can have on this side of things. :)

Oh, and where abouts in windy Scotland? ;)

mzxstosch

Cool! Congratiolations with the succes! I've redeemed :
4WR6TKHTRR76

Thank you

DedReer

Cheers spoogob :)

It's always been a paid app.  My pricing started off with the initial release @ £1.49/$1.99 and then I dropped the price to 69p/99c about a month after when sales dropped off. My reasoning was I could always drop the price if a tier 2 game didn't sell. 

After a couple of months I hit quite a few zero days @69p/99c, so I figured I'd make it free for a limited period, like 24-72 hours, and mention it across toucharcade forums, facebook, twitter, etc to try to drum up some interest.

[Having your game just sit there with no-one playing it is pretty depressing because all you really want is have people play and enjoy your game.]

Anyway, when it was free I would get an influx of anywhere between 2,000 to 10,000 downloads in a day. When it was put back to 69p/99c I might get a couple dozen paid downloads but would then tail off after a few weeks.

I remember the one day I got 10,000 free downloads, 7,000 were in China and another 2,000 or so were i the Asian market.  Only from looking at analytics I saw it had been featured on an Taiwanese App website.  I do have traditional and simplified Chinese metadata in the app store description which helps.

Apart from that the only notable gains were when App Gratis featured it.  BLiP was then visible on the App Store for the first time and just kept climbing up the free chart which was amazing and very surreal! :)

Marketing doesn't really come easy to me, I'm more interested in making games.  Trying to figure out how to make your app visible is one of the hardest hurdles I've come up against in developing games. 

PS - I'm originally from Ayrshire but live and work out of Edinburgh :)

spoogob

Sounds good :) so apart from the chunk of free downloaders, im guessing you'v done ok from the paid side? Im just curious cause im looking at moving a flash game ive just finished to Ios, and while I enjoy the game making side, and hoping people will play them, its nice to know you can also make something from them.

Travelled the length and breadth of Scotland over the years - used to live on Orkney for 10, so passed your way many times travelling south to visit family. lol. :)

Jon

(Not to ask for exact numbers in public), but generally, how did the game perform in the few days right after the AppGratis promotion ended? Did they drop off like a cliff to pre-promotion levels, or was there now some momentum that still carried it on?

DedReer

Sales after the promotion were pretty good and was at a constant for 1 week, then it started to tail off a bit. I was worried of going from free to paid and the game disappearing off the charts alogether but somehow it remained in the paid charts, sitting in the top 40.

Im pretty sure that's the reason why sales were at a constant and then sales tailed off when it started to drift down the charts and became harder to find.

ridhwaan08

I have taken the first code (9J7NHWWTNRHF)
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!

Audrey Hepburn