Random Chat Thread

irock

Yeah, I'm stoked for the 3DS launch. I still don't know which launch title I want. I'll probably have to wait for some reviews.

RandomJibberish

I'm going to hang on until some of the titles I really want are out and the price has gone down - it's going to be super expensive here. Really looking forward to it though.

Duckaiser

@NobodyX: I think I know what you are talking about, I just don't know how to do that...

@Chibicat: I'll keep that in mind.

Anyway...3DS? I still have so much left to do with the normal DS (well, I have a DS Lite but you know what I mean) I somehow managed to build up a backlog, and Pokémon games are taking over. I really like getting all the special event Pokémon, so it "forces" me to get them before a certain time. But I haven't wanted to play them much the last few months, and I have more unplayed games. And let's not start on my unplayed Gamecube games, I still don't know why I have so many...
So...I'm hoping the 3rd version of Pokémon Black/White will be for DS, not 3DS...so I won't have to get a $250 3DS just to get some Legendary Pokémon. Why do I do this to myself...?

Blob

I expect to get the 3DS soon after its launch. I've never passed up a Nintendo console because they're always a safe bet. If the new Paper Mario stays tried and true to the classic formula, then all will be justified. One nice thing about it is it won't have a scratchy touch pad or a stupid patterned cover over it. I'll be passing up the launch titles, though.

~ Blob

Chris

I'm looking forward to it, but I doubt I'll get one without a new revision or price drop. I'm still keeping an open mind to the NGP as well (which really excites me in concept.)

Rhys

I have been anticipating it all this week.
One week to go. ONE WEEK

The titles I ordered are Super monkey ball 3D and Super street fighter IV 3D, which are in order: my favourite brand of the launch games and the seemingly best received game on the list. I just hope skipping Pilotwings resort because of lack of missions was a good idea.

I just had an awesome battle with my friend Tyler in Pokemon Black. Started out as a Curb Stomp Battle in Tyler's favor, where I was losing 4-2, but once my Samurott got out there, he got a Crowning Moment of Awesome. In the very turn that he was sent out, Tyler knocked out my Zebstrika... just in time for me to use Surf. This proceeded to knock out his Raichu (which was at full health), get a critical hit on his Throh, and do some damage to his Lucario. At that point, he sent out his Druddigon. I used Surf once more, knocking out both his Throh AND his Lucario this time. At that point, Druddigon used Dragon Claw, leaving y Samurott with about 3 HP. His Druddigon's health was still in the green. I used Aqua Tail and almost beat it, but I had forgotten that Druddigon had Rough Skin as an ability and lost. It's pretty awesome in video, though. Is there any way I can get it on YouTube? Particularly any way to save my Battle Video onto an SD card or something.

If I'm unable to find a way to upload the battle, those of you that have Pokemon Black and/or White can see it in the GTS. It is video no. 57-53008-34054.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:36:57 pm by Time Traveling Swordsman »
In Soviet Russia, overused joke tells YOU!

Strasteo

@Duckaiser: Some tips that I've found helpful are putting a dot on the paper and using that as a "light source" Another thing is constantly asking yourself questions like "Is the hair covering the nose? Will it cast a shadow there?"

A lot of things come from practice though, so keep at it! I know I have a ways to go with shading and drawing in general. It's an ongoing process. :]

As for the 3DS, I'm excited for the games, but less excited about the 3D effect. I know its the whole point of the system, but apparently it needs to be a certain distance away and if you differ from that view, the graphics become less clear. I do want Paper Mario for the 3DS, but I might wait on this one...

@Strasteo

Before you complain about the sweet spot, note that the technology for multiple sweet spots while still maintaining no-glasses 3D is still very expensive. Unless you want to pay as much for a 3DS as a PlayStation 3 at launch.

599 US Dollars. 599 US Dollars. 599 US Dollars. I'm not even a PlayStation fan (I don't eve own a single non-Nintendo console or handheld) and those words appall me.

It's pretty awesome in video, though. Is there any way I can get it on YouTube? Particularly any way to save my Battle Video onto an SD card or something.

If I'm unable to find a way to upload the battle, those of you that have Pokemon Black and/or White can see it in the GTS. It is video no. 57-53008-34054.
As far as I know, the best way's probably just to get a tripod for a digital camera, and film the replay on the top screen like the infamous Aron video Nevermind, apparently, they do it with emulators.  I've heard it's possible to dump your save data... I think to FTP, if not to a DS Flashcart, and then run an emulator using that save data, recording with any standard screen recording software, but that requires a flashcart which most players don't have and runs into whatever legal/ethical problems you have with roms and emulating... And it really isn't worth the trouble, in my opinion.

If you're without a digital camera, I can try around with mine if you're willing to wait a day or two.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:57:19 pm by Oracle of Wuffing »

It's pretty awesome in video, though. Is there any way I can get it on YouTube? Particularly any way to save my Battle Video onto an SD card or something.

As far as I know, the best way's probably just to get a tripod for a digital camera, and film the replay on the top screen like the infamous Aron video.  I've heard it's possible to dump your save data... I think to FTP, if not to a DS Flashcart, and then run an emulator using that save data, recording with any standard screen recording software, but that requires a flashcart which most players don't have and runs into whatever legal/ethical problems you have with roms and emulating... And it really isn't worth the trouble, in my opinion.

If you're without a digital camera, I can try around with mine if you're willing to wait a day or two.

I'm fine with waiting, although I can't really pull off anything so complicated as what you suggested. I think I'll settle with just recording the display, despite the amateur look of doing so. Oh well, at least people will know it's real.

Nintendo REALLY should have added an option to save Battle Videos to an SD card...

Strasteo

@Strasteo

Before you complain about the sweet spot, note that the technology for multiple sweet spots while still maintaining no-glasses 3D is still very expensive. Unless you want to pay as much for a 3DS as a PlayStation 3 at launch.

599 US Dollars. 599 US Dollars. 599 US Dollars. I'm not even a PlayStation fan (I don't eve own a single non-Nintendo console or handheld) and those words appall me.

I'm just saying that the entire selling point of no-glasses 3D needing a specific distance coupled with a somewhat small battery life makes the experience a bit of a downer. Perhaps I was a bit harsh about the sweet spot; the 3D technology is impressive for sure, and there's great games for it in that the 3D is not a "make-it or break-it" deal, but the battery life is a con that I find somewhat troubling.

In the end, I'm just taking this all from reviews and things I've heard, so yes I could be wrong, but I'm waiting and seeing how it all pans out first.

I agree, the abysmal battery life is a big downside. Still though, at least Nintendo always delivers on game libraries.

Legendary Hoamaru

From what I hear, the low battery life mostly comes from the Wifi, not the 3D.  Turning off the wifi is said to increase it a bunch.

irock

I don't think I'd be without a charger long enough to clock in several hours of use and drain the battery very often, so it's not a huge deal for me. Still, it would be nice to have a bigger battery so you don't have to charge it so often or play it while plugged in.