Sound-Based Game

limatrix

A simple idea - There's nearly no eye-scenes. Most of the game you must rely on your ears.

You know, a change from the usual platform games.

For those with an Itouch or Iphone, look up for 'PapaSangre' in the App Store....

So, feedback? Any plot idea? Anything you'd like to suggest or help with?

Chibicat

I was thinking about something like this back on the old public forums when we had the discussion of disability gaming.

I would think the steaming sounds behavior would make this the lowest file size game ever, lol.

Although what genre would you do with this? It would be good to research how sounds effect the player during game play. It's a bit tricky of a concept on how to incorporate interactivity well with this, but if you can figure out how to do it right then it would be a really fun game.

limatrix

I was thinking about something like this back on the old public forums when we had the discussion of disability gaming.

I would think the steaming sounds behavior would make this the lowest file size game ever, lol.

Although what genre would you do with this? It would be good to research how sounds effect the player during game play. It's a bit tricky of a concept on how to incorporate interactivity well with this, but if you can figure out how to do it right then it would be a really fun game.
The deal would be the quality of the sound. I could try my luck with a 3D sound environment, but that would require headphones or something on those lines to be played.
I had something planned more to the line of a casual game.
Maybe a maze of some sort, where when you hit a wall you hear a thud or something? Or that would be just too boring?

I could try also a more of a down to earth game, where you'd need to go through a day as a blind man. Maybe some multi-end experience would make it better?

Well, those were the two ideas I could manage to think, trying to keep the game as simple as possible, and yet, playable.

Chibicat

Yah you would have to tailor to as many people as you could, some people have horrible sound quality while others have a surround sound system, lol. It would basically have to be left, right and center. You could also play with volume levels for depth but something like bass you couldn't do (as some people use earphones and stuff like that.

A maze might be a little annoying to play when you hear the thud over and over again and it doesn't really have a point in making it sound only. I like the day as a blind man one, it has many possibilities to it story and game play wise and you can use a variety of sounds as well. You could even have the intro part of the game with graphics and then the rest of the game without to show the vast difference between the two.

chaosoul

Do you think it be too outrageous and boring to make one about a blind batter. So a pitcher pitches and you listen to how loud and close the ball and coming then swing? Then add different pitches with different pitches of voices?(sorry about the bad pun) so have it lower for low pitches? I dunno much about baseball but its the only thing I could think of. Probly boring but I think these will be a step in the right direction. Make the instructions, and how to start out loud audio. The only problem I can think of (okay not the only) is what to do for the game screen? Make visuals for those who can see? Except for the batting part since that give people an advantage. How do you think we can spread this game around for blind to see (or hear) and play
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

redpesto

There's SoundVoyager, part of the experimental Bit Generations series for the Nintendo GBA
http://youtu.be/C12WRgfIOC8

You use headphones and the sounds are panned left and right, you have to move towards the sound so its in the centre of the screen/audio. At first you can also see the targets but later on you have to sense where they are by sound alone.