What animation software do you all use?

vaderdan

Hi guys

in the past and current, when doing animations I use adobe illustrator and save each frame as a png.

Is there a way to create animations easier and instead of saving each image that consists of a frame, is there way to create a sprite sheet and add it to stencyl?

Dan

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:57:14 pm by vaderdan »
Aim: To achieve a #1 Hit on the AppStore

xcmn

Hi Dan

For pixel work I use Graphics Gale Free Edition.  A few features: custom hot keys, onion skins, snap-to grid, import pallets and right-click color picking. A preview window shows your animation at actual size (crucial). It does take time to become familiar with this program.

With it you can export animation frames as a combined image (sprite sheet), a series of single images or as animations.  The combined image imports into Stencyl like a champ! Unsure if you're doing pixel work. If so, you could import your Illustrator PNGs into GG and export them as a combined image.

Spiderguts

I animate in Adobe Flash, export PNG sequences, and use TexturePacker to make sprite sheets.

vaderdan

I animate in Adobe Flash, export PNG sequences, and use TexturePacker to make sprite sheets.

Oh cool, so exporting to PNG sequences it breaks the animation into frames and then you use texture packer to create a sprite sheet but how do you import the sprite sheet into stencyl?

Dan

Hectate

When you're importing images for an actor, pay attention to the "width" and "height" number (or columns and rows? Unsure right now) fields on the left side of the import box. If you set those numbers, it will automatically slice up the sheet into frames and load them all into the current animation that you're importing for.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

vaderdan

When you're importing images for an actor, pay attention to the "width" and "height" number (or columns and rows? Unsure right now) fields on the left side of the import box. If you set those numbers, it will automatically slice up the sheet into frames and load them all into the current animation that you're importing for.

Ok, say if I have an sprite sheet that is 256 by 256, and each image was 32 by 32. Do i have to set this within stencyl? Or is this a bad example?

Spiderguts

256/32 = 8. So if you have a sheet that's 256x256, it's 8 rows by 8 columns, and that's what you tell Stencyl. That'll store up to 64 frames.

Spiderguts

Actually lately I've been ignoring the sprite sheet step, and just dragging and dropping the frames en masse into the actor's animation. It seems to work fine. Stencyl ignores your sprite sheet when it compiles anyway, and makes its own sprite strips in the resources folder.

vaderdan

Actually lately I've been ignoring the sprite sheet step, and just dragging and dropping the frames en masse into the actor's animation. It seems to work fine. Stencyl ignores your sprite sheet when it compiles anyway, and makes its own sprite strips in the resources folder.

Ok, It annoys me to repeatedly import an image, i think having a sprite sheet, makes it easier to import

vaderdan

quick question, how do you export a sprite sheet in texture packer it only give me the option of PList which is for cocos2d

Spiderguts

That's just for a data file, you can ignore that. As long as your image is set to PNG Stencyl will recognize it.

Blacksmith

In most sprite sheets I've seen on the web, the spacing between the character animation frames is extremely variable. I assume it's to reduce the file size, and in a game it could reduce the space required in the atlas. I've tried importing frames of different sizes and the end result is generally a disaster. Does anyone use variable size actor frames in Stencyl? And how would you display the frames properly?