Colosseum

Luyren

Colosseum [Tentative Title]

Colosseum is a battle arena game. You fight a series of boss battles to become the champion. You can level up, buy items and learn skills.

For now, only screen shots. I'll try to make a video or two as I make progress. It's a little too much ambitious, and I probably won't finish it by the end of the jam, but it's worth a shot.

If you're curious about the game, ask away.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:32:31 pm by Luyren »
Working.

travisofarabia

Looks interesting, very ambitious! Good luck!

lapada

Oh snap , cant wait.

Hectate

What kind of mechanics are you using for the battle system? It looks kinda like an action/adventure game (Zelda 2 style attacking?) but that's not a guarantee of how it actually plays.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Luyren

It plays somehow like Zelda 2, yes. The attributes of the equipment and the status of the character determine attack, defense and critical hit rate. I'm actually making the character at first level a bit "difficult" to play: he has only one attack on ground and has a little delay when landing from a jump. As you level up, you can get a combo attack and other melee skills. Accessories can grant additional abilities, such as double jump or dash.

I'm also going the pokemon route and allowing the player to take one, and only one, "consumable" item to the battle (like the berries in pokemon). It will include healing, status healing and attribute enhancing items.

I had considered a turn-based style actually, but felt it'd be better to work with what I already have.
Working.

Luyren

The third boss.
Working.

matthew38940

This games looks great and I can't wait for the opportunity to play it!

Luyren

Thanks!

The second boss: Brunt, the giant. I've set up the cutscenes when the battle begins. I also made the first battle music, and themes for winning and losing. Have to redo the AI script of the first boss, finish the last skill of that boss I posted yesterday, and work on the menu behaviors for equipments, status and skills.

I'm forcing myself to post something new here frequently to try to get as much work done as possible.
Working.

lazyboygames

I am looking forward to this game. It looks good...

Do not disappoint me  >:(

Luyren

Status Menu! (These values are for testing, and are not final)
Will try to post a demo tomorrow. The equipments menu is still not ready.
Working.

gruffman

definitely looking good, keep up the solid work :)
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

Luyren

Thanks!
No demo, solved some problems, got a lot more in return. Here's a screenshot to make up for it.
Working.

rahulmartin

most eligible game by far.can't wait to play it.

Luyren

Commands:
Arrows = Move
C = Attack
X = Jump
Z = Use Item
A = Back Dash
Up = Talk to NPCs
Enter = Menu

It has 4 boss battles, no in-game tutorial. It was suppose to be scaled x2, but some graphics disappear in the bigger scale. No skills for the player, and one of the NPCs is not configured.

That's it. Won't be able to finish by the end of the jam, but it was a solid progress nonetheless. Everything here is doable with the RPG Platformer Kit. Hopefully I can upload a new version of it soon.

Looking forward to hear your feedback!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:02:27 pm by Luyren »
Working.

Alexin

Enjoyable and a really good start. My only complain so far is the character's movement feels stiff and is a burden during battles.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com