I Like Toast (Demo Available!)

yoshirider4

Did you click this link because you thought it was some sort of spam?
Were you curious to see if it was actually a game about toast?
Do you like toast as well!?

If you said yes to any of these questions, maybe you'd like to read about my Side-Scrolling Platformer/Puzzle/Shooter game titled, "I Like Toast."

Summary: I like Toast is a Platformer, shooter, similar to the original Megaman series. You are a young Toaster, named Charlie, on a mission to rescue his fellow toasters from the evil toasters that have taken over the lands. Things get a bit personal for Charlie when he realizes that they captured the love of his life, Pearl.

Toaster Abilities:
- He collects Bread and uses it as ammo. Yes, he shoots toast. (Implemented)
-When you hold down the shoot button, he shoots out flaming charcoal toast! (Implemented)
- He shoots toast with Jam to stick to walls to reach higher ground! (Implemented)
-Outlets give him HP (Implemented)
- He can't touch water! (Not implemented)
-Special: Overheat - He turns red and invincible for a short amount of time. (Not Implemented)

Demo 3: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10007

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:54:00 pm by yoshirider4 »

yoshirider4

Awesome.

Update: Made some very minor tweaks in the info and updated some graphics.

Now to work on the actual storyline...

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:32:24 pm by yoshirider4 »

Greg

I'm thinking that you should implement burnt toast (when you hold down the "shoot" button for too long).  It will eventually end up as a flaming piece of toast that will do extra damage.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:21:17 pm by Greg »

yoshirider4

That's actually a pretty good idea... Thanks man, I appreciate it.

yoshirider4

I'm double posting because I have a lot of issues.

I stupidly picked an isometric angle to work with, will this be a problem with the tiles? I don't want their back legs to be floating.

Also, they're wider than the tilesets, is there a way to increase the size of the tiles to work with?

UnknownNormals

WHen you import tilesets, you can specify thier dimmensions. As for the isometric tiles, I'm not sure. You could just have the isometric tiles as a bg.

yoshirider4

All right, thank you.

Now I have a new problem! :D

I made a simple pure red tile set as a test, but... I don't know why he fell right through them or why there are holes in it... Maybe I should just stick to doing graphics... :I

Hectate

It's likely that your tile size is different then the tile size setting for the scene. Compare the two, if they don't match - they need to.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

yoshirider4

Okay, thank you. That fixed the graphics. I've decided to close this project because I'm clearly not ready to tackle this on my own. I'm going to start off with a simpler project instead. I know you're all crushed, though fear not. I will continue to do something easier as my first game, just to get started...

Edit: Several tutorials later, I'm gonna give it another go. :V

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:57:05 pm by yoshirider4 »

SWATLLAMA

You should make two different types of ammo.
Whole wheat bread, and white bread, and maybe make them do different amounts of damage, and one have a higher velocity than the other.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

yoshirider4

Hmm... Interesting...

I  think I'm going to go with Greg's ideas above.

I'm thinking that you should implement burnt toast (when you hold down the "shoot" button for too long).  It will eventually end up as a flaming piece of toast that will do extra damage.

Maybe whole wheat would give him an entirely different power....

KungFuFurby

May I put in my two cents? ^_^

Since wheat bread is generally a bit harder on the teeth than white bread, I feel like we could exaggerate that and make wheat bread like something that can break through obstacles easier than white bread. The drawback is that it drops to the ground sooner than white bread (can't be launched as high). (That's assuming it's a type of toast you shoot.)
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

yoshirider4

Another interesting idea...

Still, that wouldn't exactly be exaggerating, I'm not even sure if my shoddy programming skills would be able to do any of this. xD

Anyways, thank you for the suggestion!

KungFuFurby

Well, if I ever do get to playing your game, I'd be glad to point out any bugs.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games