Animator in search of Developer to team up with!

Mourou

Hello all,

I'm a professional animator currently animating projects for large companies like National Geographic, Verizon, and Warner Bros. However, my true passion lies in creating video games. My first title was A Virus Named TOM, a game released on Steam last year. I led animation on the game, and want to now create my own from the ground up. Truthfully, I am 100% Microsoft, wanting to develop for the Windows Surface. I am aware that this won't be available until Stencyl 3.0 comes out, but to my understanding that will happen later this year. The Surface is just about the perfect platform I can envision for this game I've been writing, designing, and animating off and on for the past two years.

The game is a side-scroller psychological horror game, with RPG and fighting elements. It's not a run and gun, beat-em-up, megaman clone. This is meant to be poetic, creepy, and engaging. Searching and solving puzzles, while also having some duels and battles throughout. Here is a short video I did last year just trying to get across the proof of concept for the game: http://youtu.be/gWMcgOoJJH4

I want to know where to start as far as development is concerned. I took a Java class when I was back in school and was making (some) progress developing a small prototype of the game in the free version of Stencyl. You can find it here: http://shyshadow.deviantart.com/art/Shaded-Chasm-Prototype-286476717 I wasn't able to continue as I could not figure out how to get my jumping and attack sprites to work.

If any of you experts are interested in the story/mechanics of the game or helping out, please contact me either on here or from my website: http://mourou.net/ This is a serious gesture to make an incredible game, not to have free work handed to me on a platter. My goal is to create the first level 100% complete in Stencyl, at the best quality we can and then present it on Kickstarter for complete development. I have a sound designer, composer, level designer on board in addition to handling the animation, character design, and writing myself.

If this isn't enough, I'm offering to animate for your games upon teaming up. My passion is for game creation altogether, not just my creation of my own ideas.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

Ryan

rob1221

I'm not aware of any plans to support the Windows Surface for 3.0.  It could happen in the future, and that probably depends on changes made to Haxe/NME.

Also, just what is that creature in the video?  It looks like a dog-man with a candle on his head.

EDIT: Check out these video tutorials if you haven't yet: http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/stencyl-tv/

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:43:00 pm by rob1221 »

Mourou

Hi Rob,

I thought I read on the Stencyl 3.0 thread that they were supporting exporting to C++ or HTML5, both of which could be converted into a Windows 8 marketplace app.

The character is Pincho, a human who is literally wearing the head of a slayed unicorn. The story will explain all of this. In the most basic sense, it is dark and involves a quest to murder otherworldly deities.

Edit: I read it again and it indeed says Windows 8 will be supported, so I'm not sure if that involves touch features inside Windows 8.

rob1221

AFAIK the Windows 8 support is only planned for desktop games in 3.0.  HTML5 is supported, but right now it's significantly slower than any other export option.

Mourou

Thanks for the info. Good to know!

My end goal is for Windows 8, and I believe if we have an incredible game created, porting will be possible in the future. I don't think this should be an issue at this time. The previous game I animated, A Virus Named TOM, was originally aimed for Xbox 360, but after completion and release on Steam is porting over to the Vita instead of the 360 marketplace. Some games can run in IE with touch controls at 60fps (Contre Jour) so I think anything can happen once a build of the game is completed where people can get their hands on the gameplay and story.

Truly hope someone will be interested!