[Updated to 1.1] Monetize your Android game with the AdMob extension!!!

Abliblablobla

@ Ninjadoodle
Yes, you can. I have no games on the Play Store yet but I'm able to test ads with them. Please be sure to follow the guide: if there is something unclear, let me know!

May I ask you to open your logs and post what you see here?

Thank you!
.: BuruBuru :.

Ninjadoodle

Thank you for the reply! So, I've got everything setup according to the PDF.

The only line of code I have is Ads.initAdMob("I put my dev number here", 0);

For the Site URL I put my own site, as the game isn't in the apstore yet.

When I compile without the line of code, the game pops up on my device - with the line of code it stays on compiling.

I've attached the Log as a text file because it's quite long :)

Thank you in advance!

It's all fun and games until somebody get's a shuriken in their eye!

Abliblablobla

From your logs I am not able to understand your issue... Could I ask you to send me your game or a sample game that reproduce your issue? It would be very helpful to understand what's going on with your game.

Ninjadoodle

Ok, I got it working!! I have no idea what the problem was but I just copied all the files again and this time it worked :)

Thank you for you help!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:13:19 am by Ninjadoodle »

Abliblablobla

@ Ninjadoodle

I'm glad you managed to make it work! May I ask you which Android version is running on your test device? And what is your test device?

runimals

Mates,

some friends have reported me some problems with the ads using 4.1.X.

It seems that they can click the ad but the ad doesn't open although the click is beeing recognized.
Have you also experimented this kind of problem?

I'm not sure what can be happening.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:56:03 am by runimals »

Ninjadoodle

Hi, I'm running Android 4.1.2 and the device is a Galaxy S3. I know that the ads load, but I'm not sure if they have the same problem as above - Ad companies should have a setting, to allow you to click ads while testing without getting paid :(

godofvaganza

Finaly you did it dude! You rock! how's iOs?

Abliblablobla

@ runimals

Did your friends report the issue while testing ads in general or is that issue related to this extension?
I don't have a 4.1.x device to test with, but I can confirm that sometimes it isn't very simple to click on the banner. I think that the main reasons for the banner to be difficult to touch are two and are linked to the new security check introduced by Google. To open an ad now, you have to click on the banner twice, one on the banner and one on the Visit/Download button inside the banner itself (it appears after the first click). So:
   - On my test devices, if the Visit/Download button (usually blue) is outside of your game screen, then it won't be touchable. For example, your game screen size is 480x320 pixels (which has a 3:2 ratio), landscape mode and you set your banner position to Bottom-Right. On a 16:9 device, using Perfect Fit or Scale to Fit you will have two black bars at both the left and the right side of the screen. Once you click on your banner, the blue button appears at the right side of your screen, partially inside your left black bar. In this case, I won't be able to touch the blue button.
   - When Google introduced this new system, they also rolled out a new version of the AdMob SDK. I think that the SDK used within Stencyl (which is a little outdated: 4.0.3 vs 6.4.1 :) ) doesn't fully support this new system. So, if the banner is placed properly, the first click is registered without any problem, while the detection of the second one is a little more problematic... I tried to update the AdMob SDK used by Stencyl with no success: this change corrupts the game you are compiling... I hope that the Stencyl's team can find a solution to this problem since I think that the issue is inside Stencyl.
I sincerely hope that this issue is releated to something that went wrong in Google's servers.

@ godofvaganza

Thank you!
Unfortunately I'm not working on iOS extensions... I decided to focus on Android since testing is more straightforward and Java is way simpler than Objective C (at least this was my first impression when I looked at the code for the first time) :)
Maybe when I have more free time, I will take a look at iOS.

runimals

Is an issue related with my android admob method, and as your extension uses my method it has also the same problem. Some kind of ads are not clickable in 4.1.X.

I think you are right about the reasons you stated. It seems is a mixed problem between the view and the ad.
Eitherway I'm happy with this, numbers are going fine.
So I would wait for 3.0 release in order to fix this minor things.

About IOS extensions...
Work in progress.

squeeb

Any way to do this same thing with greystripe ads?  full insertional ads inbetween levels?

Abliblablobla

I took a look at the Greystripe site and it doesn't seem to be too much difficult to integrate their interstitial ads in an Android game. Unfortunately it doesn't seem as good as Chartboost and I don't know if it is easy to implement their ads on iOS. Maybe one day I will look into it.

FranAlt

@Abliblablobla

I was using older versions of your Ad Mob extension with no problem. Now with the new one I can't compile! :'(

Here are my logs. I tried everything!

[LOG] Building APK for Android.
[LOG] Unexpected problem on thread AWT-EventQueue-0: null
[LOG] Please enter haxelib repository path with write access
[LOG] Hit enter for default (/Applications/Stencyl 3.0/plaf/haxe/lib)
[LOG] haxelib repository is now /Applications/Stencyl 3.0/plaf/haxe/lib/
[LOG] cd /Applications/Stencyl 3.0/plaf/haxe/lib/nme/3,4,2/
[LOG] Source/scripts/SceneEvents_13.hx:61: character 16 : Invalid character 0xE2

Can you attach the older version of your extension? So I can meanwhile have some ads ;D

Thanks!
Swipe - FREE          Cloud Run - FREE              

iOS                                Android
    Android

Abliblablobla

@FraAlt

Unfortunately I cannot post the previous version of the extension right now, but I'm interested in your error. If I am right, you are calling the extension from a Scene Event. May I ask you to post an image of the event/events that is/are using the extension?

Thank You!

FranAlt

Yes, no problem. Its exactly as you do it in yours. I already tried removing everything and leaving just the code but no luck...
Swipe - FREE          Cloud Run - FREE              

iOS                                Android
    Android