Kung Fu Furby - The Game (current verision ~ Alpha 4)

KungFuFurby

Lightweight actors will allow me to make the GUI appear to have less of an impact on the framerate (if it's causing any issues now). Until then, Alpha 3 is go, and officially I've fixed one of my own bugs that I've discovered (please test and report to me as well!).

The only known bug that I have that I don't know how to fix is related to streaming sounds and how I can't mute them. I might come up with a custom-made solution independent of the default volume control that might help me with this, but right now, maybe I should work on revising the Streaming Sounds pack to use custom game attributes created in real-time. If I do that, then that would allow me to jump for joy at not having inaccessible parameters when I have to stop the music, or in my case, fade it out. Fading can't happen when you have music that you can only directly affect for one scene.

Update 9/10/11: Done! I revised the Streaming Sounds Pack to use Game Attributes instead of actor values.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:48:38 pm by KungFuFurby »
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

KungFuFurby

So sorry for taking nine months (that's three quarters of a year!) to make another alpha... I got carried away with my musical compositions and various other real life events... (not to mention I lost my focus).

I did transfer to Stencyl 2.1 in the process (skipping 2.0 for the most part) and I will say the new version is definitely a vast improvement. The port was pretty painless, and I took advantage of the new features. The event for when an actor leaves the screen is the first Stencyl 2.0-specific event that I have used: it's specially made for the death animation. I was going to use a "when self is killed" event, but it didn't trigger. Ah well, I have solutions to that problem.

The add-ons make this somewhat more like a real game. The enemies now have some variation in behaviors, they have their own... er... attack, KungFuFurby can get damaged (and technically killed), and there's even a Game Over screen!

The GUI may seem shaky... truth be told, I didn't align my text. Later on I'll work on aligning that...

Next up should be items (with pausing), a quick use button (allowing you to quickly press a key to use the item), and a way for an item to be thrown (This game does have useless junk that you can throw at the enemies. The first of these will be empty potions, which are found right at the first stage). This can be done in two ways:

- Using the keyboard (WASD) to aim the crosshairs and then throw the item with the press of a certain key.
- Use the mouse to aim, and then click to fire.

I plan to have both in there, with the mouse method being marked as "Cursor Assist" that can be turned on and off.

Once the items (and pause menu) are in there, I may just be ready for the first boss fight... and the first programmed cutscene.

Plus, I also have a title screen, opening and tutorial on the TODO list. The tutorial is interactive, and you can just simply walk through if you don't want to hear him explain the controls. I downloaded Sunflower's text box behavior for this particular case, because I plan on using text bubbles (I'll make them graphically in different sizes) and then have the text pop up. And that's also where voice acting will come into play (this stuff is definitely for the downloadable...). I do have my ideas written (er... typed... I don't have them on paper) down.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games