Kung Fu Furby - The Game (current verision ~ Alpha 4)

KungFuFurby

Play Kung Fu Furby - The Game
Current Version: Alpha 4 (6/7/12)

Original Topic

Implemented Controls:
Left & Right - Walk left or right
Up - Jump
Z - Attack
X - Change mode

Unimplemented Controls:
(a pause button... that's all for now)

The storyline will not be revealed right now... though I can say it does begin with someone calling KungFuFurby (he does have a home).

You can go exploring, but the enemies are not fully implemented, and there are no items.

HP is shown on the enemies, but that's because I have debug mode activated. Eventually, it'll be hidden unless you use an item, which reveals the HP for all enemies currently on-screen.

You can level up by gaining EXP after defeating the enemies. Currently, you can go to level 9.

There are no bottomless pits unless you happen to see yourself falling right into darkness, with the light fading away. Anything bottomless is usually unimplemented. I plan on implementing a respawn system that although it costs some HP (only if you're actually hit something like... a spike. Those are planned for those really long falls that are supposed to hurt, and they're not that common.), you'll be able to continue at the last point you've come across.

Changelog:
Alpha 1: (7/18/11)
  • A functional KungFuFurby for the platforming part.
  • Enemies to attack (they don't move, and they don't stop once they start moving!)
  • Sword is functional, but there's no mode change yet.
Alpha 2: (8/11/11)
  • Basic enemy AI. The enemies now follow you, though they don't hurt. Yet. They also don't jump.
  • Level is now much larger, and you can go either way this time. Explore the area, or just find your way to where this alpha version ends (at the first boss, which isn't even implemented since I'm still working on the enemies.)
  • Sound effects!
  • A little test piece of music. The music is streamed, and this is where I give my programming credit to HNF for the Streaming Sounds Pack. I also credit the Original Stencyl Team for the Platforming and Starter Packs.
  • Sword animation is... somewhat redone. Thanks to the pivot points, it looks much better than it did originally. No mode change, though.
Alpha 3: (9/8/11)
  • Kick the enemy! Or, be like Mario and land right on top of them, and deal damage that way (do note that unlike us humans, their feet are OK for speed, not very good for attack.). Pretty soon, though, they'll eventually hurt you through this same method.
  • Proper layering. I now have three layers for all of the in-game stuff: the GUI, the main layer (where all of the enemies, players and their weapons are located), and special FX (A really big hint on the special FX: let there be light!). Let me know if the layering goes bad, because I may accidentally forget.
  • The music for Broad Daylight is officially implemented. However, the BGM ID it is assigned to is not final.
  • Bugfix (I hope): The amazing flying furby! If you have an enemy right on top of you and it's not moving, and you decide to jump, pressing it again and again allows you to fly, though only directly upwards.
Alpha 4: (6/7/12)
  • HNF's Streaming Sound Pack has now been made universal (instead of mostly one-scene only) by changing two type of actor value commands to game attribute commands. Now I can stop a tune while on a completely different scene if I want to! ^_^ However, a transparent actor is still required, and it appears I can't modify the volume while a streaming sound is playing...
  • Enemies can now attack. That also means KungFuFurby can take damage and even go down for the count! I even have a death animation for KungFuFurby programmed. I plan to have more than one...
  • Enemies now drop bronze and silver coins. They're worth gold, which will be the game's currency when you shop at towns.
  • The enemies' behaviors are now randomized to some extent! Some may be aggressive, some may be more cowardly, and some may be indecisive.
  • Enemies about face when they hit a wall. I plan to add a random factor to make enemies try to clear the obstacle. If they can't clear the obstacle, they might about face, or they'll just keep trying, or just stop.
  • The Game Over screen and its music has been implemented. Unfortunately, you'll have to restart from your last save point should you do get a Game Over... not pretty. I do have plans for psuedo-save anywhere tricks... first in the form of floppies (save once and the floppy is used up... think of this as a limited custom save option), then in the form of a rewritable CD (unlimited saves). You are given the offer to save after each level.
TODO List:
  • Punch with the sword! (along with enemy knockback) The crushing bug will be attempted to be circumnavigated by immediately going back to its initial position once it scores a hit.
  • Update basic Enemy AI to include jumping. Part of this will be achieved by rigging the original walking and jumping behaviors.
  • Items. Right off the bat, you'll start off with five "Potions of Helpfullness" (These five come right from his house, as KungFuFurby notices this person called at the perfect time, as he needs to go shopping.). These potions are used right on the spot, and simply heal some HP. I have a lot more items planned... plus currency!
  • Boss Battles! Eventually you'll reach a certain point in which you'll have a boss battle with someone. The first of these boss battles will come from the person that originally called you, and boss health is displayed in the top right corner.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 06:41:09 pm by KungFuFurby »
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

thebigdooz

Awesome.. but where's the music?  :P The sword slashing animation is perfect! I like how the enemies get injured/die too! Good luck with the full version. Glad you got to make the game, and with Stencyl!
Check out my games: http://www.stencyl.com/users/index/8751
Check out my up-and-coming-blog:
http://gamerdooz.blogspot.com/
-------------------------------------
I always accept questions, comments, suggestions, and jokes!

Chibicat

You know your famous when you have your own video game.

KungFuFurby

Sound is completely unimplemented at the moment because that's actually taking somewhat of a backseat (not even a basic jumping sound is present... I myself do not wish to have placeholders at the moment). I personally do not wish to make the game so big to start with just with sound alone, so that will get introduced later on. Musically, though, I have at least 20 tracks planned.

The first piece of music... or any sound whatsoever, that you might actually hear is the level up jingle, which I'll get to putting in for the next version along with some sort of preliminary enemy AI.

The enemy AI, I have determined, should occur not every frame, but every x.x seconds with a random delay in between (predictability is not what I'm going for, as to some point I intend on giving each enemy some uniqueness to some extent). I will create my own enemy AI for this game, since I myself have created an enemy health behavior (I did that myself knowing that a generic health behavior from StencylForge wouldn't work very well). It's the enemy health behavior that handles displaying the damage number on the enemies. Part of the work will be done by duplicating the original walking and jumping behaviors and using boolean variables instead of control keys to trigger them.

The player will get his own health behavior as well. The player's health is linked directly to game attributes.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.

mormord

This gonna be fun, I can foresee it :) I was thinking if there were any other platformer rpgs, but I guess you just created a new game type.

KungFuFurby

The NES would be a good console to find something like that... the SNES I believe also has something like that.

dineyin

I love how you charge into a mass of enemies slashing around and the bad guys get thrown around. I would recommend maybe reducing the health on the enemies a bit so that it takes less slashes to send them flying,, I thin it would feel more fulfilling. Also I think the sword attack animation needs a bit more oomph behind it. Right now it looks more like he's just waving the sword around more than slashing with it.

KungFuFurby

The mass of enemies is mainly for my own testing. Once I'm in more of a finalized state for enemy AI (and animations), the level will also head towards the finalized state, which isn't certainly this.

Well, I know how to make an adjustment. As a matter of fact, I'm working on enemy AI: specifically, how to prevent the game from failing if someone were to get crushed.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:26:19 am by KungFuFurby »

KungFuFurby

I don't know how, but now I'm able to go through ceilings. Previously when I tested this, I couldn't do that. It's related to 1.0.3: it was fixed in 1.0.4. ^_^

Turns out my freezing bug is caused by killing off the enemy. Once the enemy leaves the screen, I had a command that kills the enemy after he leaves the screen. That's when all heck breaks loose.

Slice 'n Dice has been made easier thanks to the new pivot points, but I found out that the tweens I've been using are all... real-time. They're not affected by slowdown whatsoever. That's making my head scratch... no wonder why the sword looked more like waving.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:53:51 am by KungFuFurby »

KungFuFurby

Alright, Alpha 2 is go! The changes/additions are:

• Basic enemy AI. The enemies now follow you, though they don't hurt. Yet. They also don't jump.
  • Level is now much larger, and you can go either way this time. Explore the area, or just find your way to where this alpha version ends (at the first boss, which isn't even implemented since I'm still working on the enemies.)
  • Sound effects!
  • A little test piece of music. The music is streamed, and this is where I give my programming credit to HNF for the Streaming Sounds Pack. I also credit the Original Stencyl Team for the Platforming and Starter Packs.
  • Sword animation is... somewhat redone. Thanks to the pivot points, it looks much better than it did originally. No mode change, though.

Oh, by the way, at the end of the alpha you'll get an error message. This is because it's unimplemented, and it's also my own personal way to do debugging if I had a problem that would have messed up the game real bad.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:20:00 pm by KungFuFurby »

The music doesn't change when I pause, mute, or set the volume, but the sound effects do.

KungFuFurby

That's because the music is streaming, which is indeed a side effect that I don't know how to resolve at the moment. I plan on having a music switch to turn on and off the music. I already have a little method to mute the music if the desired BGM is set to -1 (0 does nothing, and anything above 0 triggers the desired piece of music if it is not already playing).

Pixel Pusher

At the moment it looks in good shape. The level system is a nice touch. Maybe in the finished game the levels wont come too quickly. I'm sure the soundtrack will be very nice. always seems to be.

AdventureIslands

You have helped me so much with my game's music that maybe I can help you back with some graphics? You can ask me if you need something, I can try drawing something out.

KungFuFurby

I may have a few ideas up my sleeve in the graphical department for requests...

My level-up system gets gradually slower and slower as you move on (and the enemies are supposed to get tougher as well when you progress in the game: what you're seeing right now is the weakest enemy of them all, and they will eventually attack, but it's quite weak), but it's relatively quick to start with to get the player in the game (and to give them some encouragement to whack away at the enemies, as the first boss, which I myself jumped the gun on the statistics, is intentionally quite easy), but that's because the amount of EXP required gets gradually bumped up each level. Level 10, which I haven't gotten to yet, is where the EXP starts taking off, and once you really get up there (I'll say around level 50), you'll eventually end up with more than 10,000 EXP. The EXP, in addition to level-ups, will be my little method of scoring.

Another little secret: There's no text drawing in the GUI. Even the numbers themselves aren't pure text. This is part of the intended optimization.

Right now I'm working on a little feature of mine: you can just jump right into the enemy and "kick" them. Doesn't do much damage (unlike our human feet, a furby's feet doesn't have much force behind it. Plus, it has bad range.), but it can take out an enemy with very low health.

Plus, there are going to be a few towns to visit as "intermission" stages (you will be earning "gold" from some defeated enemies, which can be used at shops...).

Some of the items you may be collecting are only good for throwing at enemies... if they really are like that, once I get the item system implemented, I'll let you know which ones are the ones to throw.

Update 8/18/11: It's bug reporting time by me! I just found an interesting little bug called "The amazing flying furby!". You need an enemy on top of you for this to work, and he needs to have stopped moving. Now, just keep pressing jump many times over and over. This is a case in which I should add something that prevents the player from hitting jump after a certain amount of time to prevent said bug from occurring (this same thing also prevents the player from kicking if he's trying to jump... eh, I'll leave that in as a way to tell the player you can't kick if you're being trampled. Use the sword instead.).

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:50:05 am by KungFuFurby »