[Solved]Inkscape png animation

Tobben2111

Sorry for yet another topic about inkscape. I have made animation frames in inkscape and export it as png with transparent background. So it works very well in stencyl. But the size it’s correct, frames have different size. With art made in GraphicesGale, animation wasn’t any problem at all. But looks like I can't use GraphicesGale for inkscape images(in png.)? I believe it is because of the transparent background. I can't change the background when opened in GraphicesGale and if I copy the image to a new file and make a new background, that doesn’t look good, but that make sense. So how would you guys suggest about making animations? I have search around for an answerer at inkscape forums. But can only find discussion topic about animate svg files and possible a further update for inkscape.

Many thanks in advance :)

http://puu.sh/2FMxm.png
Just an example of how the images looks when I try to copy something to a new frame. Not sure if I can import an image direct to a new frame.

- Tobben

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:26:46 am by Tobben2111 »

Hectate

I've animated things using Inkscape before, Dreaming Big was completely Inkscape-made for example. What I found was that the best procedure to ensure good exporting was:

1. Create a rectangle object and set it's size to the exact size of the frames that I need (including transparent space).
2. Place each of my drawing's frames above this rectangle (or a duplicate of it), aligned, scaled, etc. properly for it's position within the frame. Make sure that no part of the drawing extends outside of the rectangle.
3. Set the rectangle to be completely transparent in both fill and stroke.
4. Group the rectangle and the drawing together. Repeat for all frames and rectangles.
5. If making a sprite sheet, use the Align and Distribute tool(s) to arrange the object groups so there are no gaps or overlaps and everything is lined up properly.
6. Export the newly grouped object (if doing single frames) or the entire set (for a sprite sheet/strip). - the rectangle(s) will ensure a consistent size and distribution for the export but will not be displayed as it is (they are) completely transparent.

Note, if you have trouble selecting the completely invisible rectangles, you can switch to a wireframe view mode called "Outline Mode" and the rectangles will be displayed and you can tweak them as needed.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Tobben2111

TYVM, Hectate! :)

I didn’t manage it at the beginning, so I was about to make a step by step guide over what I did. But  when making that I figured out what I did wrong ^^ With some luck and a lot of work I can finish my game for the Stencyl Jam. Doesn’t matter that much. I enjoy stencyl and graphic so much atm, that I am happy anyway. Before starting with Stencyl I had only made stickman in paint so my knowledge have increase a lot. Also I enjoy the community here so much. By asking on forum or search and find old topic with a lot of good information about making something or give you an idea of how make what your are looking for.

Btw, Hectate. I did play your game, Dreaming Big. The concept remember me of Rampage on game boy color. That would actually be a interesting stencyl project if somebody would like to make something like that.

Rampage game boy color vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOyIaNif2WE

- Tobben

Hectate

Rampage was definitely a classic arcade game that influenced me (one of my favorites, in fact) when making Dreaming Big. That said, it was made for a game jam so I had to keep the scope of it down to finish it on time.

Glad to hear you got it working. Good luck!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.