Why is art so hard?

fillergames

I've been making this tileset for 4 days. And i got little progress.

I want your opinion on it.

Photon

To answer your topic's title question, its because art, like many things, takes dedication and pratice.

Fillergames, I think you're trying to do too much too soon. Try starting out with something simpler. It doesn't mean your game is bad. Simple graphics can look just fine. Look at Irock's Potato the Destroyer, for example, or (not to be vain) my game Pixel Ninja. Both use fairly simplistic graphic styles, but both games in their entirety were good enough to make the staff picks page. The point is that you don't have to be "fancy" for your game to be good.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

fillergames

To answer your topic's title question, its because art, like many things, takes dedication and pratice.

Fillergames, I think you're trying to do too much too soon. Try starting out with something simpler. It doesn't mean your game is bad. Simple graphics can look just fine. Look at Irock's Potato the Destroyer, for example, or (not to be vain) my game Pixel Ninja. Both use fairly simplistic graphic styles, but both games in their entirety were good enough to make the staff picks page. The point is that you don't have to be "fancy" for your game to be good.
I don't? I'll finish it anyways! Plus the player sprite, I don't know what looks better?

Photon

I don't?
You don't what? You don't think you're trying to do too much? Please clarify.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

fillergames

I don't?
I meant I do? I do try too hard, sorry!

Photon

I don't?
I meant I do? I do try too hard, sorry!
Oh, all right. That makes sense now.

fillergames

I redid the cat. But I think the shading looks odd.

Raiyumi

You should definitely take a look at the vast array of graphic tutorials out there. That pillow shading you do on all your assets is generally bad practice, a BIG no-no.
It'll do a worlds wonder if you just study how other people do their art. How do they make everything compliment each other? How many colors do they use? What colors? Lines? Anti-aliasing? Shading? Contrast? Etc.

Some fantastic resources:
www.pixeljoint.com
http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-pixel-art-tutorials/

Keep going.. not only will your art improve, but the amount of time you spend as well.

fillergames

You should definitely take a look at the vast array of graphic tutorials out there. That pillow shading you do on all your assets is generally bad practice, a BIG no-no.
It'll do a worlds wonder if you just study how other people do their art. How do they make everything compliment each other? How many colors do they use? What colors? Lines? Anti-aliasing? Shading? Contrast? Etc.

Some fantastic resources:
www.pixeljoint.com
http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-pixel-art-tutorials/

Keep going.. not only will your art improve, but the amount of time you spend as well.
I actually think the rocky ground looks good, the cat on the other hand...

fillergames

osiaslemuel

Just try to master some art programs by searching a lot of tutorials in the web. so you will knew some tricks in making your game arts better. But if it is really hard for you, try to collaborate with a game artist.

fillergames

Making a new tileset. If you can't tell from the name, its a roof. Finished the brick too (Got lazy and copy and pasted)

lapada

No secret about art , just draw everyday as much as you can.

Vigilence

If you are learning how to draw I would recommend sticking to analog before moving to digital.  Analog being pencil and paper, while digital is the use of a computer to create art.

As said above, drawing everyday is a must!  Also if you really can't draw, try looking at your favorite artist and study their style until you can create your own.

If you do know how to draw, but don't know how to create pixel art try this link for pixel art tutorials. 
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

Innes

If you are learning how to draw I would recommend sticking to analog before moving to digital.  Analog being pencil and paper, while digital is the use of a computer to create art.

I know everyone's brains work differently, but I find that the above doesn't work for me. I'm a truly terrible artist, but I find that working on a computer and following tutorials allows me to create something far better than I could by hand.

Perhaps if I had the time, I would learn to draw by hand, but I don't have the time, so a computer will suffice!
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.