What is the difference between recycled actors and regular actors?

Weasel8778

I've never used recycled actors. I just don't know when I should use them as opposed to regular ones. Can anyone explain to me when I should use them? I read the Stencylpedia article and so have a basic understanding of them, but it didn't explain when it's best to use one kind of actor over the other.

Ambvai

As I understand it, actors that are recycled stay in memory to be brought back out again at a moment's notice while killed actors are removed from memory and have to be recreated if they're brought out again. Assuming that's correct, recycling takes a bit more memory but is faster. As such, anything that's going to be introduced and removed over and over should be recycled. (Or in the context of games: Bullets and spawning enemies, among others.)

Hectate

It's kind of what Ambvai says.

Recycling actually will use less memory. A normal actor can be created and killed, created and killed, and each time that happens Flash is not entirely freeing up the computer's memory that is used by that actor.

A recycled actor on the other hand, is just kinda "deactivated" when it is killed. Because the designer knows that he'll need to create another one of those actors again - perhaps very soon - there's no sense in allocating new memory if you can just re-use the existing actor's again.

In essence, any one actor of either type will use the same amount of memory, but recycling the same 5 actors will only use 5 times that amount - while creating and destroying a new regular actor will use as much as you allow the player to create.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Ambvai

Oh, and I'm not positive about this, but I THINK actors held in recycle-limbo are counted if you run a count of all actors in a scene. (I used to be convinced that was the case, then I noticed that behaviors relating to that actor are kind of wonky, so it might be something else.)

Weasel8778

Thanks, but now it just seems like recycled actors are always superior? Is there any scenario to use just a regular actor?

Sunflower

Well, probably there is. Note that recycled actors use up some memory, too. Now imagine that you have an epic RPG where you don't create/remove actors that often (except some fancy effect during battle scene ^^), but you encounter different actors a lot. Now, when you play longer this RPG, memory will be used much more than it should. At least that's what I can imagine if my understanding of recycled actors is correct. Oh well... O.o

Greg

Yeah, recycling Actors really only makes sense for things that you are probably going to kill off and reuse quite frequently.